Component CD Recorders (Not Computer Ones)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KatCassidy, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

Sometimes the older things are the better they are. Sometimes the newer things are the better they are. I'm looking all over eBay for a hi-fi component CD recorder. Why? Because I don't want to hassle with hooking up my record player to my computer and mess with all these settings just to digitize my records when I'm after CD quality anyway. With a CD recorder, I connect it like a cassette deck, set the volume level like a cassette deck, play the record like I'm playing a record and hit record. Editing? I'm happy to do that in a computer. The hardest part is already done.

But I digress. What I'm wondering is were all CD recorders created equal? Surely not, because nothing in hi-fi ever is. The makers I'm aware of were Pioneer, Philips and Yamaha. I am very familiar with the Philips CDR-560 as a friend had one and I transferred heaps of his records to CD over a few years. (I've heard way more 1980's heavy metal than the average member here, some of it pretty awesome actually!) and I bought a Philips CDR-775 last year that, unfortunately, won't record from the analogue input. If any member here has a use for it, it is yours free, just pay shipping. (240v/50Hz)

Anyway, is there a better age range for these? I mean, did the ADC's improve over time? Would a 2004 model be better than a 1996 model for example? And, although I don't want to use it as my main CD player, which one is also a good CD player if I choose to play a CD in it? (My current CD player plays all CD-R's and will play CD-RW discs burned in a computer but not CD-RW's made for audio recorders! Go figure!) And are there any other brands who made CD recorders that I should look out for?

McLover and Bill Larson like this.
  2. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Don't you want to fix clicks and pops in the vinyl rip before burning the CD?

3. KatCassidy

Like I said, I'm editing in computer. Basically, I'm going LP-to-CDRW -> Rip to PC, edit -> Burn CD-R / Make MP3.
    I'm not replacing my records, hell no! I'm making a digital copy for the sake of convenience. Pops and clicks? My childhood mixtapes were full of those. To me, it's just part of the package.
    Plus most of what I want to transfer is in close-to-mint condition anyway. Most of the old scratchies (and believe me, there's dozens) I already have on CD.

[Edit]---> Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but everytime I try to record directly into the computer, I get hum like the record player isn't grounded correctly. Or the volume is way too high and distorted. Or too low and almost inaudible. I'm good with audio gear. I'm good with computers. But this is one thing that seems to just go over my head! And I've been trying for almost ten years with three different computers and three different turntables! Advice is welcome and appreciated, but I'm at the stage where I'm fed up and just want to get a CD recorder to get the job done at last. [/rant]

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

If you mean a stand-alone recorder from around ten or twelve years ago, don't forget that it's becoming quite difficult to get blank CDs for this type of equipment. A computer burner will accept any kind of a CD-R but the stand-alone recorder needs special "music" CDs which often cost quite a bit more than the ordinary ones.

I have a Sony model but I use (and re-use) "music" CD-RWs to create a CD from different sources. But then I have to copy it to an ordinary CD-R on my computer and erase the rewritable disc for future use.

5. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

the pioneer cd-recorders i've tried made very good recordings.

but if you edit the tracks with the pc anyway i'd say recording straight to the pc might be the most convenient solution.
    what ADC are you using ? maybe we can help you get rid of the hum.....

BGLeduc likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Buy a current Tascam, they are cheaper than they used to be, even in the UK, for used either a Tascam or maybe a HHB Burnit/830, but only if you are sure they haven't been over used, if you want to limit yourself to music CDRs and buy non pro then the Marantzes were absolutely the best, I've owned and used assorted Philips, Traxdata, Sony, Marantz and Pioneer CD recorders along with assorted pro models from Marantz and HHB. If you are happy with 16/44 then the converters in any of the above are fine, if you want better, get a Tascam DA3000 and record in DSD.

7. KatCassidy

That is exactly what I plan on doing. I bought a box of 10 "music" CD-RW's and that's how I found out what did/did not work on my current system.

fogalu and PhilBiker like this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Get a new Tascam. Amazon.com: Tascam CD-RW900mkII CD Recorder/Player: Musical Instruments

I used to use an old Philips unit that ultimately failed. So I bought the Tascam and haven't looked back. Currently I'll put the recorder in analog "Record" mode with a CD-RW. I do no editing on the Tascam, just record an album-side, or a bunch of singles, then rip that CD-RW into the computer as WAV files and do all of the editing and clean-up there.

The picture of the Tascam indicates that it's got a rack-mount design, but those rack mounts can be added or left off if you just want it as a standalone component that's not in a rack. It comes with a remote, but frankly I never use it. Just press the record and play buttons and do all of the fine work on the computer.

There are some here who will try to talk you out of using CD-RW discs, but they work just fine for this application.

Shak Cohen and PhilBiker like this.
  9. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Music cd-r's are still readily available, walmart and other places still carry them. I have 2 cd recorders, a Philips cdr950 and a Sony dual disc. The Sony has the ability to SBM the recorded disc, i.e. The Single Bit Management is a digital process that pushes the digital noise to a higher frequency, resulting cd in theory that ha 20 bit resolution. Both make nice cd's from analog sources. Both can use music cd-rw discs.

10. KatCassidy

I'd like to look at that Sony one. What is the model number, please?

[Edit] Never mind, I found it in your equipment profile. Thank you!

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I've had good luck with both of my Sony's. And an Aiwa unit that has been trouble free for many years as well.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I used mine for recording a dozen or more times.

Years ago.

But always felt like there were too many steps involved.

And felt somewhat overwhelmed/burdened by it all.

I bought it in 2003 or 2004 and now only use it as a player, since my Sony CD player from 1994 has seen better days:

[​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

nonsense, there are "pro" recorders that use any kind of CDR media. I am using a sony cdr-w33 right now. IT is ancient, and once had to have a belt replaced. that's it. you will be stuck at 16/44 though. you can find plenty of info on the cdr-w33 online.

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

nb definitely do not get one that requires "audio" CDR media

shadowlord likes this.
  15. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Nice looking deck. Very upscale for what I've seen from RCA.

DRM likes this.
  16. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

My Philips 870 (bought in 1998) will only work with the blue/green tinted music cdrs. Now THOSE are very hard to find if not darn near impossible. If anyone knows where to still get those things please tell me. Bet I've burned a thousand discs over the years with this one.

17. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Sony RCDW10. Or 50, both are dual tray cd recorders.

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

HJY1 and DRM like this.
  19. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

The Philips CDR 770 was a real workhorse unit I used in the late-'90s to mid-'2000s --- but once I kept getting "OPTICAL CODE ERROR" on the display, no matter based on which brand discs and after even manually cleaning the lens, something(?) beyond repair happened to it.

I then got a closeout deal on a Harman/Kardon CDR-2 and, although I got around five years use from it: the build quality was a flimsy "bpc" NOWHERE near what the Philips was and, for some reason, it had trouble with black and purple Memorex blanks (which were about the only retail supply option left). Blue/red/green/white discs would immediately scan fine...but the black or purple ones couldn't.

20. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I was merely warning the OP of the problems with ordinary commercial Sony CD recorders (and most other makes) of around 15 years ago.

sublemon likes this.
  21. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

The CD-RW900 looks almost identical to my old CD-RW700, which has served me very well for about a decade. It usually sits idle now, but I used to burn large numbers of Dead concert cds on it and have never had a problem. Used ones are easy to find on eBay. It has analog, coax and optical inputs.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. I have the Pio 509, and still use it to this day. Here is an 8 year old thread talking about it. At that time, I already had owned it for 8-9 years.

Pioneer CD Recorder PDR-509: Question

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Professional best, Tascam makes good recorders. And they're as good as you can get. No Music CD-R necessary.

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I love my Yamaha CDR-HD1500 for recording records as it has a hard drive that you record to initially and then you can edit tracks, put track breaks on and then even name the tracks before you record them to CD.

It's worked fine for 10+ years and I like it so much when, recently, a lightly used one came up on ebay I snagged it for $150 as a back up! Unfortunately it does require CD Audio's.

[​IMG]

25. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Why not go with a solid state recorder and use CF or SD cards. No worrying about bad burns or discs that won't rip without errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.