The "Sundazed" Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DCW, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

CA Quintet- Trip Thru Hell.

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Can you list some of the needledrops you are referring to? I would be very interested in this information.

3. I'd be happy to step in for LV and give some examples.

First one that comes to mind is the Mamas and Papas s/t (2nd album) from 2013. That one was analyzed by @lukpac in detail. Note that the linked samples still work as of this writing:
    The second one that comes shortly after that is Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk, also from 2013. This was arguably the big revelation that caught many by surprise:
    There are others, such as Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptum, but this time from @prof. stoned:
    So far, those are the main 3 that come to mind right now, but I am sure there are others out there...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

This is really disappointing. I have probably 10-15 Sundazed LP's and have always enjoyed them (with the exception of the VU mono set as I already noted). I always thought they were a label I could buy with confidence. Sad.

If they did this once or twice, chances are they have again or will in the future

Sad, really

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

really? sounded almost identical to the sundazed in terms of tinyness and low volume so i thought it was the same.
    you tested it yourself?

6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Any US product from RCA UK I have ever heard have been folded down stereo mixes for their mono incarnations, so I'm going on assumption. I'd be very interested to hear something that contests that.

pinkrudy likes this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Discogs sez I have these LPs:

Wanda Jackson , Live At Town Hall Party 1958 (Sundazed Music
    The Byrds, Another Dimension (Sundazed Music
    Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band*, Diddy Wah Diddy (Sundazed Music, A&M Records, Universal Music Special Markets
    Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Nonesuch, Sundazed Music, Sundazed Music
    Captain Beefheart + His Magic Band*, It Comes To You In A Plain Brown Wrapper (Sundazed Music
    Bob Dylan, Blonde On Blonde (Columbia, Sundazed Music
    The Byrds, The Columbia Singles '65
    Link Wray And His Ray Men, The Swan Singles Collection 1963
    Jerry Lee Lewis, Original Sun Singles '56
    Various, 2131 South Michigan Avenue (60's Garage & Psychedelia From U.S.A. And Destination Records) (Sundazed Music, Sundazed Music
    Dillard & Clark, Why Not Your Baby (Sundazed Music, A&M Records, Universal Music Special Markets
    Gene Clark, One In A Hundred / She's The Kind Of Girl (Sundazed Music, A&M Records, Universal Music Special Markets
    The Byrds, Eight Miles High / Why (Sundazed Music, Sundazed Music, Columbia
    Chocolate Watch Band*, In The Midnight Hour / Psychedelic Trip (Sundazed Music, Universal Music Special Markets
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?/Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (Experience Hendrix, Sundazed Music
    The Velvet Underground, Singles 1966
    The 13th Floor Elevators*, The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators (Sundazed Music
    Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan (Columbia, Sundazed Music
    Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited (Columbia, Sundazed Music
    Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding (Sundazed Music
    Bob Dylan, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Columbia, Sundazed Music
    Canned Heat, Canned Heat (Sundazed Music
    Jeff Beck, Truth (Sundazed Music
    Otis Redding, The Otis Redding Dictionary Of Soul
    Traffic, Heaven Is In Your Mind (Sundazed Music
    Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home (Sundazed Music
    Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band, Safe As Milk (Sundazed Music
    Nilsson*, Aerial Ballet (Sundazed Music, Sundazed Music, Sony Music Commercial Music Group
    Jefferson Airplane, Takes Off (Sundazed Music
    Link Wray And His Ray Men, Jack The Ripper (Sundazed Music
    Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow (Sundazed Music
    Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers, Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers (Sundazed Music
    Groundhogs*, Blues Obituary (Sundazed Music
    Love, Love (Sundazed Music
    Strawberry Alarm Clock, Incense And Peppermints (Sundazed Music
    The Byrds, Younger Than Yesterday (Sundazed Music
    Love, Forever Changes (Sundazed Music
    The Byrds, Fifth Dimension (Sundazed Music
    Leonard Cohen, New Skin For The Old Ceremony (Sundazed Music, Columbia
    The Ides Of March, Ideology 1965
    Various, We're Gonna Change The World (Sundazed Music
    John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, Crusade (Sundazed Music

Can't name a single one in the bunch that I was disappointed with, including the Beefheart reissue in question (it compared favorably to my mint stereo original). Pretty good track record for a non-"audiophile" reissue label. I guess it sucks for the Analog True Believers to learn this, but I never drank that flavor of Kool-Aid so I'm not too concerned (or surprised). As long as they continue to make great sounding reissues of great records, I'll be buying.

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Is the Bob Dylan mono Bringing it All Back Home Sundazed lp sourced from the master tape?

9. Schoolmaster Bones

I'm pretty sure nothing from Sundazed is actually cut from analog tape, if that's what you meant.

"Sourced from..." can mean a lot of different things.

John Bliss, crispi and driverdrummer like this.
  10. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

I have had a few Sundazed LP's through the years - I agree some sounds thin/digital/non-analogue; though Wendy & Bonnie sounds very analog to my ears.
    Of "thin" sounding I can mention Incredible String Band (5000 onions), United States Of America and Faine Jade.

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I don't mean to be a Negative Ned, but The Left Banke-Pretty Ballerina/Walk Away Renee cd sounded dismal.

12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

It says it is on the hype sticker, but Sundazed has been shown to be dishonest about master sourcing. See Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk.

driverdrummer likes this.
  13. Schoolmaster Bones

I see a number of people here have the Sundazed mono reissue of the first 13th Floor Elevators LP, yet no one is complaining about that one - despite it being a digital patch job just like the Beefheart LP.

Patch job or not, it's still the best sounding version of that album I've yet heard - and I've been through many reissues of that one.

14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

At least it was honestly advertised. Most Sundazed releases are hit and miss. Anyway they reissue some exciting and rare music sometimes so i forgive them.

15. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Agreed. TBH, it's the only time I haven't been disappointed by an Elevators reissue. I wish they could have done a patch job and reissued a legit stereo mix of Easter Everywhere instead of the horrible Charly issue that's been doing the rounds for the past 4-5 years.

16. i really like it too

17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I stopped buying Sundazed, as every, and I mean every, lp purchased was noisy as hell.

mooseman, John Bliss and Tommyboy like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think Sundazed stopped using the bottom feeders like Rainbo and United. They're using QRP.

During the spring I purchased The Byrds Singles Collection from a local shop. It was pressed by United and was just horrible; typical United BS. Must have been old stock.

I contacted Sundazed and sent the LP back to them. They replaced the LP and to my delight, it was recut by Kevin Gray and pressed at QRP.

John Bliss and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I was never impressed with it. It might be the best reissue in general, but the original pressings beat it in every way. It also has early fades (presumably to mask noise).

20. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

RCA distributed product was always fold-down outside of the US for some reason (Monkees, Jefferson Airplane, etc...). This album is no exception.

Also keep in mind that parts (sometimes entire songs) on the Sundazed reissue are fold-downs, so it would sound the same as the UK LP anyway.

pinkrudy likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love the John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers mono albums.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

No consumer will face bodily harm over Sundazed's slimy business practices, but there's gotta be a consumer advocacy group who can pressure them to come clean.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. OxygenThief

OxygenThief Forum Resident

I haven't heard the UK mono "Baxter's", but I do have both the US mono and a UK stereo pressing from the early 70s. The way to tell for certain is to listen to the segues and crossfades between the songs - in the mono mix they're all over the place in terms of volume and are very clumsily done, whereas on the stereo mix they sound smooth and professional. If the edits on the UK mono match those on the stereo mix, it's a fold. I do have a UK mono "Surrealistic Pillow" which is a fold, so I'd say the odds are that the UK "Baxter's" is too.

pinkrudy likes this.
  24. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

This one has been in my radars for quite some time now. After reading this thread I do not know whether I should ever pull the trigger...

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I have the John Mayall albums, they sound fine to me. Sundazed may have a bad reputation now but it doesn't mean all of their reissues are suspect.