Albums: Reissue question

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Methodical, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking at the John Cotrane (Blue Train), Miles Davis (Kind of Blue) and Cannonball Adderly (Somethin' Else) albums. I see several different prices out there for each album from places such as Music Direct, Music Matters and others, with Music Matter prices being the highest. What are the differences other than prices? I know there has to be something different, based on one store's price being double that of another.

Thanks

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Different labels, e.g. the Sony pressing vs Mobile Fidelity pressing of Kind of Blue, plus 33rpm vs 45rpm, etc.

Also for albums of this vintage, the albums are now public domain and there are lots of European grey-market versions.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Music matters is usually the best , some are 45 RPM 2 -lp sets , some are 33 RPM , they are mastered from the original analog tapes most of the time in smaller quantities & the packaging is much nicer .

4. Methodical

I read that some places sell MM albums. I also assume folks may sell them personally, like on Discog. How can you tell if it's a MM album?

Thanks

5. Methodical

How is the quality of Analogue Productions when compared to Music Matters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.