iam8bit (videogame vinyl soundtracks) sound quality?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Fraga, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraga

Fraga Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone here purchased from them?

I see they always put extra care when making their packages, something always beautiful (and related to the game in question obviously).

What I'm more interested in is the sound quality. Are they just mp3/CD rips or do they take the master tapes (or should I say "master files" lol) from the game developers/person responsible for the soundtracks?

Very tempted to get the Rocket League and Persona 5 records but I don't want something that's beautiful on the outside but very bad where it matters (the sound!!!). Especially because they are VERY expensive!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

My husband purchased me a copy of the No Man's Sky soundtrack on vinyl from iam8bit. Yes, the package is absolutely gorgeous so I have no complaints there.

However, there are two sections on the record with very loud popping and distortion. Sounds like a pressing flaw to me, as I cannot get the popping to go away even with cleaning. Apart from those sections, the sound quality was good. It's a glitchy/electronic soundtrack so I can't say whether it is a CD rip or not (not my area of expertise) but I did want to let you know about the pressing flaw in case they have other issues with quality control.

But I do have my eye on the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack, which looks gorgeous and is a beautiful soundtrack. Expensive though!

Fraga likes this.
  3. Fraga

Thank you for the quick reply!

You're right, I guess the glitchy/electronic sound is kind of expected in Rocket League and No Man's Sky due to the nature of their soundtracks, of course... but I worry about Persona 5's case, where the soundtrack is pretty much pop/rock (Check out the opening theme, for example). By the way, it has not been released yet and it costs a hundred bucks! I tried contacting them on Facebook yesterday but they replied me saying it was 4th of July (I don't live in the US so I totally forgot about it) and that they would talk to me later.

4. Fraga

No one in this forum buys from them?

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I have 3 records so far and I gotta say that they honestly have some of the worst quality control Ive ever seen and the beautiful packaging you mention is just a coverup for their lack of care when it comes to soundquality.
    Journey and The Last Guardian are some of the worst records in my collection, but to give credit where its due I have to say that Undertale was a solid effort that I can recommend, at least the pressing by MPO.
    You can see my reviews on each releases specific page on Discogs.

They really are a company for collecting fans first and foremost though, not music producing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.