The Rolling Stones On Air In The Sixties Book and Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

new book on the Rolling Stones plus album released in September
    The book will come with “previously unseen facsimile documents from the BBC and commercial TV and radio archives, and many stunning unseen images”. There will also be a “tie-in” album and a BBC documentary of the same name.

New Rolling Stones album to be released with upcoming book - NME

2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Well...for a huge fan of the original Stones like me, this is certainly an enticing item. No info really in the links about what the album might actually include, but suffice it to say, there's a wealth of excellent live radio and TV appearances to choose from (most of which have been extensively booted). For the U.K., you of course have their extensive BBC radio sessions, then there's also their first (excellent) TV appearance on the Arthur Haynes show, their NME Pollwinners sets from '64 and '65, and a number of actual live performances on Ready Steady Go (dispersed among the canned ones, and available up till now in only so-so quality).

If they're also taking in the U.S. with this, then you can add live appearances on Hollywood Palace and the Mike Douglas Show (both from their first U.S. visit in mid-'64), TAMI, and their first three all-live Ed Sullivans. Long overdue for all this stuff to be out there in good quality.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I hope there's a DVD with the album. Will this be a Vault release I wonder?

Coricama likes this.
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Whatever it is, I'll probably buy it. LOL!

wavethatflag, Carl80 and mbrownp1 like this.
  6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yep...whatever it is, I'm in.

Carl80 and Sean like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hope its a full cd of bbc stuff

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Wow this sounds great!

Mark

Clanceman likes this.
  9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Is this official?

A lot of this material is in the Public Domain...

goodiesguy and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Not bad. A book and music of the pre real Rolling Stones. I like that era, when the guys were learning and became the world’s greatest rock band by 1968.

sekaer and Sean like this.
  11. CRadtke

CRadtke Forum Resident

The book is scheduled for release on Sept. 26 along with a new DVD that collects many of these performances, many of which have never been seen before.
    The companion DVD will feature “recently discovered, never-before-released footage of the Stones on TV, in front of and behind the cameras.”

Rolling Stones to Release New 'On Air' Book and DVD

12. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Long overdue is the entire iBC London Sessions released in good quality.

To me, this set reminds me of why I fell in love with The Stones' music
    in the first place, much more jazzed over this stuff than the Taylor years.

13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It is. This is one of several coming sixties releases released in co-orporation between ABKCO and The Rolling Stones. Check out the official Stones logo on the book, combined with a sixties-related photo. In 2010, ABKCO also did their vinyl box with a Stones logo. Surely, there is no more struggle -at least not in the way it was, decades ago...
    However, since much of it is already public domain in Europe, it is not that way in the United States and other parts of the world, so there is a buck or two to be gained from it.

The release has been under way since the mid-nineties. One could suspect that the reason for it's shelving in the first place, could be the copyrights from many of the cover-songs' composers, and only now that it has become public domain in Europe, has 'freed' them to release this coming collection.

It is highly likely to (again) include the BBC Camden Theatre 1964 performance, which was first released as part of the 'GRRR!!!..." deluxe box in 2012.

goodiesguy, stef1205, Carl80 and 5 others like this.
  14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

BBC session and deluxe Beggars Banquet?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Is this video or audio?

16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'll just wait here so patiently, lurking in this thread
    Trying to do my jigsaw puzzle, hope for some good releases to come ahead!

brock, Rickchick, Miller92473 and 7 others like this.
  17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

18. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Color me intrigued! I will wait (somewhat) patiently for a track list, but I am most definitely in for a CD once announced.

I'd be in for both of these. Throw in a deluxe Let It Bleed as well. And Aftermath. And Buttons.

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

They need a vinyl release like The Beatles BBC!

Carl80 and Sean like this.
  20. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Out of all pre-68 albums i think Aftermath might be the only one which Stones can possibly release as deluxe. They hate both 67 albums and not keen on earlier ones.

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Yes but I like those albums, so they should put out deluxe versions! :D

22. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

One of the best U.S. radio interviews they did early on was: in Cleveland, circa November 1964, on WHK-AM with TERRY KNIGHT (then a dj and later Grand Funk's manager). When I heard a tape of it, it was fascinating to hear a "pre-spiral", coherent BRIAN talk for nearly 10 minutes (in a wispy -yet, certainly, upper crust- voice); about: the fans in different (American) cities/reaction to "long hair"/whether they palled-around with the Beats'/etc. (you could sense some of the festering insecurities there already, BUT --- this guy knew a lot about all the aspects of image and perception on an intellectual level). While, when it came to Mick and Keith: they already knew -at 21- that selling a 1,000,000 copies of even a covered tune, meant a $50,000 bonus...as well as: knowing already that *publishing* money was where it was at (before Klein, obviously:realmad:).

23. MHP

Both. Plus a BBC documentary and a book.

hallucalation and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. MHP

As far as the sources go (on the boards where insiders are popping up with clues from time to time), then it's a 'yes'.

They have already explored the "Beggars Banquet" archives, as a few outtakes were heard in the 'Crossfire Hurricane' documentary + even more bits and pieces from excactly those sessions could be heard over the monitors in the studio-installation on "Exhibitionism". Watch this space: It's obviously just a question of time before it will appear. And next year the album will reach it's 50 year-mark...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    andrewskyDE and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There were also some Beggar's Banquet outtakes on Metamorphosis.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.