Worst Opening Act You Sat Through...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I think Shaun Ryder was married to Donovan's daughter at the time.

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes: the Shaun Ryder connection probably explained Donovan's presence on the bill. He is no fit at all for that audience but being the old pro he is/was, I doubt if he was bothered.

3. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Spandau Ballet. They were opening for themselves.

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Hah, that would make sense why this thread was 8 pages last night and 43 when I opened it up this morning! :laugh:

Huntigula likes this.
  5. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I feel honored. They reopened a thread from years ago to merge it with my lack of creativity.

Of course, I just posted it to mention the fact that we booed a band off stage, then cheered for them to come back out, just to boo them off again.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I saw them open for Bow Wow Wow and The English Beat. People just talked while they played. Of course, this was back in 1983.

zphage likes this.
  7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I'm having an easier time thinking of the worst headliner, which would likely be Sebadoh in Burlington, Vt, 1994. They either dropped acid or took shrooms and Lou Barlow spent at least half of the set tuning his guitar. The opening act (name since forgotten) killed it though.

Bryan Harris likes this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I'm just shocked to learn that someone would let Shaun Ryder marry their daughter!

9. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Without question, a guy called Magic Michael. Supposedly a singer songwriter but he had no songs, just shouted and had never bothered to learn a single guitar chord, preferring to just whack the strings for percussion effects. I very much doubt the guitar was even in tune. Oh, and he couldn't hold a beat. He was supporting Sutherland Brothers and Quiver in Twickenham in 1973. He has the singular honour of being the only artiste to score zero out of ten in my gig diary. The next lowest was 3 out of 10. So polite were UK audiences at the time that he wasn't even bottled off.

If you doubt my assessment, there are a couple of Magic Michael performances on the Hawkwind Greasy Truckers' Party album. I played MM's songs for my son recently and he was creased up with mirth.

Aghast of Ithaca likes this.
  10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Ione Skye?

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

What?!! The only thing the Blues Brothers did wrong was make the Grateful Dead sound dull as ditchwater. I was there.

12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Their recent resurrection reminded me of the time that Jet opened for -of course- The Stones.

Bloody awful.

Man at C&A and Dodoz like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The first time I saw the Stones, it was Third Eye Blind. There's no way Jet could've been as bad as them.

14. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The Frank Chickens opening for Hue & Cry

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

All in the production, I guess - I thought his song on the Stiff compilation was fantastic

16. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

See my final comment in the original post. Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Oopsy doopsy.

18. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

This was the 1983 tour in Orlando. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts also played.

19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I was remember being on break at my job next to where the Horde Tour was going on. I made myself a sandwich and went to where I could very clearly hear the concert and see a bit too. I planned to be there when Lenny Kravitz played. I sat down, he came out, played all the songs I loved all in a row, crushed it, I enjoyed my sandwich and went back to work. It was probably one of the better lunch breaks I've ever had.

D.B. and Wounded Land like this.
  20. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I've seen a bunch of opening acts that I didn't enjoy, but other people did, so I guess it's my problem if I don't like them very much.
    UK Slade audiences traditionally gave their support acts a hard time in the early 70's (Status Quo and SAHB suffered that fate, but won over audiences). In 1980 and in 1981, Saxon and Vardis were booed off at Slade gigs. I thought Saxon were ridiculous - no wonder Spinal Tap stole their look entirely. They died an ignoble death onstage at Birkenhead's Hamilton Club. Vardis went off quite early at Manchester Apollo to an overwhelming crowd chant of "F*** off, Vardis". I can't tell you exactly which wit started that.. :)

21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

It's funny that two that spring to my mind were mentioned here by others:

Jackyl opening for Aerosmith in '94 and Candlebox opening for Rush in '94. My first two concerts.

The guy from Jackyl chainsawing his stool in half definitely left an impression on my young mind. And I will never forget Candlebox playing the riff to Workin' Man to get everyone all riled up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The Kinks had some terrible opening acts throughout the 1980s, including the former lead singer of a redneck band after he'd gone solo.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think I ever saw TEB open for the Stones, but I saw them with U2 in Toronto circa 1997 - not the worst live band I've ever heard, but wholly unimpressive.

Didn't help the singer clearly thought they were awesome - he seemed really full of himself, and that wasn't a good vibe to send out for an opening act...

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In January 1982, we got a then essentially unknown Bryan Adams. He probably wasn't bad, but due to terrible winter weather, we were a small-ish crowd and we weren't in the mood for anyone other than the Kinks, so we booed him! :D

In June 1983, we got Greg Kihn at his all-time popular peak - "Jeopardy" peaked at #2 just a few weeks earlier. I think he got a decent reaction.

I saw the Kinks another 6 or 7 times between 1985 and 1995, but I can't remember any of the other openers...

25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not all of them...

Saw a band called Riot open for them in 1981, touring on the Fire Down Under album.
    They did their job as I went and bought the album, highly impressed.
    Guy Speranza was a good front man and they knew what they were doing.
    Saw them open for Rush a few months later.

But 1980, Louisiana LeRoux and they were not good.
    Don't remember the 85 tour opener, but The Kinks were not good, and played less than 1/2 the time they had in 80-81

Matthew Tate likes this.