Laura Nyro - A Little Magic, A Little Kindness - The Complete Mono Albums Collection 07-07-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luxury_Liner, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Thanks for the info! I never fully read the book!

Now THOSE tapes are probably in a landfill somewhere.

Still Loving the new CD!

2. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Ordered on amazon prime. Amazon makes it so easy to spend money......... But thanks, I'm looking forward to this, Laura's music is a treasure.

3. I hope amazon manages to deliver my copy before my holidays. Great to see the first reports are very positive.

Steve Litos likes this.
  4. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

If the Eli album is a fold, was "Sweet Blindness" also a fold on the flip of "Eli's Comin'" 45?

5. smallworld

Did you receive the Dusty Philadelphia set at the same time? Is the remix very different from the original mix?

johovey likes this.
  6. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

I got my copy early too, Joe, direct from Real Gone. Just played the Discovery disc, it was like having a religious experience, multiple times over! Laura's voice clear as a bell, no distortion anywhere, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and what I wasn't hearing! I had always read that the original mono version was the best, and I finally get to hear it and confirm it. I barely noticed this wasn't stereo. And since this was a true dedicated mono mix, I was hearing little bits of stuff here and there I had not noticed before.

And fabulous liner notes. This was a first class job all the way round, no question. Thanks so much for all of your hard efforts!!

So it goes to show us, there was no distortion in the original recording of this album, it was seemingly introduced at some level during some stereo mix. I still haven't heard the original Verve stereo LP, only the subsequent reissues over the years by Columbia, Sony Japan, & Revola, which included distortion and extra reverb.

How sweet it would be to find the original Verve stereo master tapes for this...

7. peter

peter Senior Member

Amazing news. I have an orig Verve stereo of More Than A New Discovery but have never got around to playing it. The mono is amazing however. I have US and UK monos of Eli and they both sound different so I suspect the UK Eli is a fold.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have a UK as well. It has a different back cover, which surprised me.
    The liner notes to the cd make it clear the Uk and US promos are the same--fold downs.

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Interesting. The US mono was confirmed up thread as being a fold.

10. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

I did get the Dusty on the same day. Haven't had a chance to compare to my older CD or LP yet - only for one song "Lost". One thing that jumped out from the get go on the new CD was that opening guitar intro - it really "pops" but in a good way. Not shrill but natural. And then Dusty comes in!!! - nice separation between her vocals and the orchestrations; lots of breathing room. The old CD sounds muffled in comparison, and her vocals aren't as distinct.

11. smallworld

Thanks for the update. Have they kept the drums in one channel or have they centred them?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I'm very anxious to hear the remix on this one.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. peter

peter Senior Member

What can I say? I defer. I am truly getting old.

14. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Much more centered than on my original CD.

smallworld likes this.
  15. minizaka

minizaka Forum Resident

Spinning the Eli disc now. Sounds incredible, but the piercing vocals are back (as compared to Steve's stereo mix from last year).

audiomixer likes this.
  16. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?! I could cry!!!

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Michael Sutter

Feelings on MTAND: mastered well. I have never heard the mono mix of this album with such clarity. Some parts of the album sound so smooth and sweet that I almost thought it was a different mix or take or something. It's that much better than the circulating needledrop. It's also fantastic to have the Stoney End single version in this format as well. I bought a sealed copy of that single some time ago, and it still didn't sound that great, but this transfer is really good.

Still have yet to listen to the Eli disc but I have to imagine it's good.

Steve Litos and johovey like this.
  18. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Got my copy from Amazon today; fantastic discs, broken jewel case.:realmad:

JDeanB likes this.
  19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Mine just got here from Amazon too---no damage. Now waiting for the Dusty CD......

johovey likes this.
  20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine was, too. I just ordered a replacement.

21. Michael Sutter

The Eli disc is wonderful as well. Though it is evidently a fold down from the stereo mix, the sound layers and plays very well. Different things are accentuated or downplayed and it makes for a unique listening experience. The music, as you would expect, is as great as it ever was. Also, the two single mixes presented as bonus tracks sound fantastic. The single mix of Eli is intense and urgent, and the pop-oriented version of Save the Country would be right at home on Christmas and the Beads of Sweat next to Freeport and Blackpatch.

We have been so lucky to have something of a Laura Nyro revival on our hands lately, with the Analog Spark reissue series, the Pure Pleasure remaster of Christmas, Steve's great stereo/quad release of Eli, and now the unearthing of these awesome mono tapes that nobody thought existed anymore. I have the feeling that a Laura Nyro "renaissance" of sorts is on the horizon, where her music will enter the spotlight once again, and be recognized for its genius by a wider audience.

22. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

One disappointing note was the email I got from UK site Rocket 88 saying that the proposed "Time & Love" book on Laura has been deemed not viable due to insufficient interest. They say that it might be possible to revisit the project at a later date but you know how that kind of thing normally goes.....
    At least we still have the continuing reissues to enjoy and the "Soul Picnic" book by Michele Kort from 2003 is a fine read.

23. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Broken case here too. Unfortunately I am surprised when I get anything from them now without a busted jewel case. I found out recently that you can't even leave "packaging feedback" on pre-orders.

Disc sounds fine. I did find it odd looking at the disc artwork seeing Columbia for the "New Discovery" disc. This will always be a Verve record to me. Was it ever even released in mono on Columbia?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  24. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Columbia never issued the mono album.

There's a mono promo Columbia 45 from 1973 of WBB and Flim Flam Man that's mono. Don't have one. Not sure if it's a mono mix or a fold down.

25. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have a Columbia WBB white label mono/stereo 45. I assumed the mono side was a fold.

Steve Litos and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.