Worst Opening Act You Sat Through...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

That's possible. I do remember Greg was going to come back for awhile, and Brent as well. I know they filmed the show, but haven't seen anything turn up anywhere. I think they had a couple pics on their website right after but they aren't there anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Surprising since most people who knew English Beat and Bow Wow Wow probably should have known who R.E.M was

3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I don't really remember any lousy opening acts. I do think one of the best I've ever seen was Vintage Trouble who opened up for The Who's Quadrophenia tour a few years ago

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe they did, but they didn't seem very impressed.

5. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

But they were impressed with Bow Wow Wow? :)

6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

While the music they played was so good, so different, REM was not real impressive, IMO, as a live act early on.
    I thought Mills was the best, and he was just a geeky looking kid pumping out fast clever basslines on a Rickenbacher and doing the high background vocals.
    I think that's where the leap to Warner Bros may have helped them a lot.
    The whole live act seemed to take a big step forward touring Green. The films on the large screen, and Stipe really started to want to perform and project for the larger audiences.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, people actually sat in their seats and faced the stage. I couldn't tell you if they were impressed. REM was flat out ignored. :)

8. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I think this is the third thread I've seen this story in, and every single time it just gets funnier. I have a feeling I'm going to remember this during a funeral or something, but I don't think I'll care.

9. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have provided a stronger warning. I'll endeavor to work on that in the future. :righton:

But there's also the natural curiousity to see if others agree with the assessment of how bad that truly is.

Digital Morphine likes this.
  10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Maybe not where you were, but I saw them three time in the 80s, and all three opening acts sucked. Especially the aforementioned redneck singer.

Efus likes this.
  11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not doubting you, but it'd be helpful if u give us some names of the acts.
    "Redneck singer" that could be anybody from Danny Joe Brown to Charlie Daniels to George Jones.
    So help me here partner...

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I think it was Danny Joe. LeRoux was another. I couldn't remember the names without the prompts.

Efus likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm glad you like my inability to resist telling the same story over and over again! :D

It really was surreal how this guy simply refused to acknowledge that Social D wouldn't do an encore. Lights on in the arena, instruments being carted off - "they GOTTA play another song, man!" :laugh:

Booyaa73 likes this.
  14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I only saw them in the 70s, maybe once in the very early 80s. The only opening act I remember was Cockney Rebel, whose name was more memorable than their music.

Bow Wow Wow was significantly more impressive than REM if you dig jailbait. Never seen either, but I own more BWW records than REM, myself.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Marty DiBergi

Marty DiBergi Forum Resident

Mod Note: (political part removed)

eels once had a clown opening for them ... that was weird and not really funny (intended eels ref here)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  16. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Hah, thanks but it's too late :) I only went and watched another few of their, er, 'songs'....aw man, you win, for I honestly haven't heard anything that comes close to being this craptastic. If anyone else can beat this, i'll be astonished. This interview is absolutely priceless btw, 0:42 had me rolling! :laugh:

Galactus2 likes this.
  17. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Minty - a group opening for Pulp at Sheffield City Hall c. '96.

Awful, contrived, shouty. 'uber-quirky' image and music. Properly painful. Anyone not sat there thinking WFT and wishing them away must have been tripping and/or family members. Can still haunt me if I let it...

Thankfully, Pulp were (Different) class.

18. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

If any evidence was ever needed that "artists" (using that term loosely when discussing Complete) cannot self-edit, then Complete is the smoking gun.

Digital Morphine likes this.
  19. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

He sang with Can for a handful of gigs in 1976. I've got a few recordings. He's annoying, but not flat-out objectionable, so I guess he must have improved after you saw him.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  20. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

Absolutely, although i'd wager that the only thing smoking was probably a crack pipe.
    How is it possible for everyone to be completely out of time/key with each other? How?
    Up until the other day, I thought only Beefheart was capable of playing four different songs at once.....boy, was I wrong!
    :laugh:

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I was at the Cincinnati show for that tour specifically to see Darden Smith. It was quite awkward as nobody was paying any attention to him. Just Darden and his acoustic gtr. I enjoyed the set, but it was only because I was a fan and knew most of the songs. I was expecting a full ensemble though. Once Nicks took the stage, I quickly became bored. Never liked her hyper vibrato vocal style. I left about 4 songs into her set.

The Slug Man likes this.
  22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I vote for Eddie Money too when he opened for Santana on the Moonflower tour. It seemed like he introduced every number by saying "Here's a great song I wrote." His band didn't sound very tight either.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Blessed union of Souls :help:

24. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I have got Darden's first album and his collaboration with Boo Hewerdine, both very good.

RAJ717 likes this.
  25. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Grandmaster Flash did a dj set opening for Arcade Fire. Basically come across as a wedding dj. Andrew WK was better doing the same for Sabbath.