Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I smiled to myself when he called it a "cheap parlour trick" with such a kind (and sincere) wish that we should see it. As cungar alluded, I knew the technical folks were hearing that as, "somebody better get the f*cking lasers working f*cking NOW" :D

Billy Infinity and Rekkerds like this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Don’t forget Nick Mason! Gilmour once said that Pink Floyd could have had the most technically proficient drummer in the world, but what Mason brought to the musical table was completely singular and no other drummer could have done what he did.

Billy Infinity, Zack, Kalli and 2 others like this.
  4. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Question for attendees.....what are the best seats to have overall to enjoy the lighting etc?
    Got a chance to go next Sunday in Atlanta.

5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

I liked being on the floor but was a bit close to the middle screen to take it all in. I can't imagine the surround sound was better anywhere else in the arena however, and for me that was more important. For the best overall view of the stage and screens, maybe side stage, back of the 100 level to take it all in but still be close to the action. Great show, enjoy if you go!

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Left side in the seats above the floor last night in New Orleans 4 rows up from the base of the pyramid (1/3 from stage)

Awesome

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

In the case of bands like U2 and Muse, they seem to only backing tracks usually when it is something that cannot be played live because four guys can only play so much at once. Plus, I would rather have guys like Bono and Bellamy doing their front man thing to entertain crowds, rather than feeling they have to play something live just so they can say it was all played live, while taking away from the live experience. Bono standing there on stage and playing that keyboard in Bad while singing would take away from not just his vocals, but the visual.

8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I watched the New Orleans close front the elevated seats close to the front the left

What I saw were times where he clearly stepped back a foot or two and mouthed the parts his guitarist was clearly singing

He wasn't trying to appear that he was doing the main vocal

The only commentary from waters was at the end when he introduced the band and a quiet acoustic song

Half the people in the Louisiana audience booed pigs rather loudly
    That may have stopped any political rant

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  9. masterbucket

He should have used a crawfish down there.....not many pork eaters in nawleans.:bdance:

LookBackBore, segue and Hot Ptah like this.
  10. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

1/3 of the way back, in the lower level seats on either side of the arena. You want to be back from the stage a little way and on the side, so that you can see the huge wall with images which will run nearly the length of the arena above the floor and perpendicular to the stage. If you are real close to the stage or on the floor I don't know how you see all of those visuals well.

11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I went to the show last night in New Orleans - had great seats, loved the visuals and really enjoyed the music, setlist, especially the two animals tracks.

The important thing I didn't do was log into Steve Hoffman and Extract jaded precious ounces of joy out of the great experience

I could see calling it a tribute band if Nick Mason were the only member playing.
    Waters and Gilmour are so key that both are entitled to and execute their Floyd legend well

I agree but if you are British and are going to come to America, make millions touring here, go on and on at times to the detriment of the song perhaps less is more or do a little look in the mirror back home and throw that up on the screen too.

This

My stars never aligned and I was 16 when Animals came out, 17 when I had a car

So glad I could see this aural and visual spectacle

A great Floyd experience

Imagine if you could take those visuals and the band on stage from 1977

I thought the setlist was great and well staged,perhaps one less Wall song. 4 songs from a new record that was just released is pretty generous. Especially since I hadn't even unwrapped it yet. People around me were talking over the new songs. The visuals did draw most people in to the new songs.

Did not miss any of his earlier solo stuff, glad it was not focused on.

I feel Gilmour has a stronger solo career where more of his career wide solo songs work better within a set

There was a huge boost in New Orleans show sales when they did a Father's Day 4 day buy one get one free. I had a full $$$ ticket then bought the kids two tickets lose by at the discount

It looked pretty full on ticketwaster day of and at the show

If you don't sing complete, how can you have any pudding?

Hot Ptah likes this.
  12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Really

Cochon

Cajuns roast the most fabulous of pigs

13. masterbucket

[​IMG]

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Spectacle, interesting term. In pre-tour interviews Roger not only promised spectacle but took credit for inventing it in regards to rock concerts, a bit of truth in his cheekiness. Aside from playing in front of a massive video screen (and the pyramid laser at the end - previously used on his DSOTM tour) I don't see anything new here. Even U2 has used screens down the center of the audience.

I went to the Rolling Stones Exhibitionism exhibit the other day and was reminded of the amazing job that Mark Fisher did designing the stages for some of their tours (he also designed the Animals and original Wall tours). Now that's what I would refer to as spectacle.

mark fisher rolling stones - Google Search

The screens (and images) at Roger's shows are effective (The Who do something similar as do other bands) but to me a big video screen is far from spectacle, especially when it's been done so many times before.

It would be overkill, IMHO. The Animals tour was perfect, I was lucky to catch 2 shows.

klockwerk and audiotom like this.
  15. Kezug

Kezug New Member

Are the shows consistently starting at 8 and ending at 11?

16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Might be wrong, but Roger has US citizenship, or is at least naturalised (his last wife is American). He's lived there since the 90s, at least.

But agreed- I hope he turns the spotlight beyond Trump when he tours Europe.

If you get a chance to visit to the Mortal Remains expo, the section on Animals is one of the most comprehensive on their tour- it's got the inflatable refrigerator as a prop.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

If it ever comes stateside you can count on it.

pablorkcz and Billy Infinity like this.
  18. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Well, went to the show in New Orleans on Saturday and had a great time. I went with my parents, casual fans not a diehard like myself. The band was great....the presentation spectacular. The laser pyramid and floating pig were out of sight! I was also pleased with the sound quality, very clean mix and not louder than it needed to be.

The set-list was good. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" would have been great to hear but I can't complain too much. There were certainly some disgruntled folks when the political segment began that were not of Rog's stance although they should know by now.....it's never been a secret. People walking out even made the local news although I personally didn't witness anyone leave.

Basically, it's a fantastic show. All of us here know about the message so we know what to expect. This isn't a show for those who simply remember "Another Brick in the Wall" and "Money" from classic rock radio and aren't aware of PF's other material. If that were the case, much of the stuff from albums like "Animals" wouldn't even be familiar to you.

Inner ear likes this.
  19. puffyrock2

In New Orleans the show began at 8:20 and ended at 11:00

20. puffyrock2

Oddly enough I didn't hear any booing at the end of "Pigs" at all....at least none from where I was in the nosebleeds. Quite the contrary.....sounded like one of the loudest cheers of the night. But I do believe you, probably depends on where you were. I thought the message was better received than I expected down here in the deep south.

Edit: Just watched a YouTube video of "Pigs" in NOLA. I can hear a few boos but at the actual show they just didn't catch my ear I suppose.

21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

it was the loudest response

I think it was a combo of boos and enthusiastic cheers

anth67 likes this.
  22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

the news rags were looking for a story
    the better story was how fabulous the show was

I bet very few fans left, I certainly didn't see any in my area.

from nola.com

Roger Waters' anti-Trump display prompts some concert-goers to walk out in New Orleans: reports

some of the comments are priceless - I'm sure quite a few of the comments were from people who didn't even go.

puffyrock2 likes this.
  23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

8:15

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

But would they have still been successful without him even if different?

25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Well, judging from what Gilmour has said about him, I’d say they found their drummer in Mason and wouldn’t really dream of replacing him with someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.