Number one singles that have been (almost) completely forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

And Lee Ann Rimes revived it, and I'm pretty sure she suggested it (yeah, like she was going to have Rosemary Clooney-itis and rebel AGAINST a Debbie Boone song. I love it by the way)

2. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Paper Lace had the hit with "Billy Don't Be A Hero" in the UK. "The Night Chicago Died" was their US hit. Great song.

Randoms likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Paper Lace did a version of BDBAH that went number 1 in the UK

John Denver's best songs are still well known as John is still very popular.

Randoms likes this.
  4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

As others have mentioned, Paper Lace, did have a number one hit with, Billy Don't Be A Hero, (I bought it), and this was a couple of months, before the Bo Donaldson And The Heywoods, version.

The Paper Lace version, was released in the US, but a bit late, and just scraped into the top 100.

In the UK, BDBAH, was knocked off the top spot by Terry Jacks, Seasons In The Sun, another song you don't hear too often. Westlife, did a horrible cover: I still remember them smiling away, joyfully singing about someone about to die. Who said that modern singers don't understand, or feel the lyrics?

bob60 likes this.
  5. Randoms

The Night Chicago Died, reached number 3, in the UK.

Paper Lace, were winners on the UK talent show, Opportunity Knocks.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  6. Randoms

And you can get to hear, My Sweet Lord, everyday, on a certain oldies radio station in the UK. This station has such a limited playlist, that you could almost set your watch by it!

One, or two songs mentioned in this thread, are given the daily treatment.....

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't hear any violence in today's music, but there was plenty of it in the pre-gangsta-rap days. People like to ignore that fact, though.

I never heard "Melting Pot". Maybe it was an Auzzie song? What was it about, specifically?

Randoms likes this.
  8. Grant

I don't know anyone who forgot this song! It was so despised by many back in 1974 that there's no way anyone could forget it. But, obviously, a lot of people loved it, too. Teenyboppers, maybe.

Now, although they didn't get to #1, their two follow up hits "Who Do You Think You Are" (excellent!) and "The Heartbreak Kid" have been forgotten by most.

Randoms and duggan like this.
  9. Grant

Over here, the only two John Denver songs people seem to remember are "Rocky Mountain High" and "Country Roads, Take Me Home", which is a shame, because he had a lot of fine hits. I even like the hokey "Thank God I'm A Country Boy". "I'm Sorry" was one of his biggest here, and I love "Fly Away".

As you know, the bands and those two songs totally reversed here. I had Paper Lace's album with "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" on it, and I thought it totally sucked. But, that's the aesthetic difference between the U.S. and the U.K., We don't always hear things the same.

Randoms likes this.
  10. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Certainly not forgotten by me.

Always goes down well with red wine when we have friends over.

izgoblin and Randoms like this.
  11. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Not by PORGs.

12. Randoms

Blue Mink were a British group, that started as studio musicians, including Herbie Flowers, the bassist on, Walk On The Wild Side.

Melting Pot, was released in 1969, and is really about peace and harmony, amongst all races. It just happens to use terminology, that whilst commonplace in the 60s and 70s, would be deemed racist now. Blue Mink happened to have a coloured singer, who was perfectly happy to perform the song in the 90s.

My father, who at the time was a children's advisor for Religion education, owned a copy, which is where I heard it.

Google the lyrics, and you will see why they may be deemed unacceptable, today. This is a shame, considering the intent and message of the song.

izgoblin and duggan like this.
  13. Randoms

In my defence, I was 11 when I bought the Paper Lace version of, Billy Don't Be A Hero, and I loved it!

If it wasn't for this forum, I would not have known about the Bo Donaldson And The Heywoods, version. I have never heard their version played in the UK, and not heard either, Who Do You Think You Are, or, The Heartbreak Kid.

14. Randoms

Annie's Song, was massive, and still played in the UK. A beautiful song.

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  15. Grant

OMG! I just Googled it up. I see exactly what you mean! Totally offensive, even for 1969!

Randoms likes this.
  16. Randoms

What's-a matter you?
    Gotta no respect?
    For Joe Dolce?

Shaddap you face, unforgettable!

But, crap.

17. Randoms

Reached number 3 in the UK charts, really was a different world!

18. Randoms

I know this song, and Kay Starr, because an ex-girlfriend loved the song. We spent several days walking around record shops, until we found a CD with it on.

I later bought a copy for myself. :help:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. Randoms

Loved this as a kid. Goes down a storm at work - it crops up on the 101 Number Ones, boxset.

This was David Cameron's, the ex UK Prime Minister, favourite song!!

20. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fly Away is a beautiful song with ONJ. But yeah Rocky Mountain High and Take Me Home Country Roads would be his most well known. But I'd say all his big hits are still played on the radio. Sunshine On My Shoulders, Annie's Song etc

Grant and Randoms like this.
  21. Randoms

Thanks for posting the lyrics, great message, suspect lyrics!

Definitely a British band. Apart from Herbie Flowers, Ray Cooper, was a later member, and the singer Madeline Bell, sang the original jingles for Radio Caroline.

AFOS likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think here Denver is known solely for Annie's Song. Without checking, I think that was his only substantial hit.

bob60, AFOS and Randoms like this.
  23. Randoms

Apart from Melting Pot, I also inherited from my Dad, The Banner Man, another UK number 3 for Blue Mink. Haven't heard that played on the radio, either.

Guess neither count, as they didn't reach number 1.

It's interesting that songs that were banned, at the time, are regularly played now, but songs that were freely played, untouchable.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Randoms

Think you are right, and I'm surprised, as the albums sold, and his songs fairly well known.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have The Banner Man on a comp somewhere. Good song. Though it was from before I started following the charts.

I think Culture Club covered Melting Pot at one stage. Don't know if they changed/updated any of the lyrics.:D

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.