Pet Sounds 1999 Reissue LP (Stereo) thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greenoort, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today I went to a record shop with some friends, and I stumbled upon a used 1999 vinyl reissue of Pet Sounds for around $30.00. It was in pretty good shape for being used, the only problems with the sleeve being some creases on the lower right corner from bending. The vinyl itself was in great shape! I snagged it, took it home, and listened to it. Overall I thought it sounded pretty good, with only some minor annoyances. Some instruments sound quieter than others in some songs, like the horns in 'Lets Go Away For Awhile" or the harpsichord and timpani in "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times." The quality itself to my ears was pretty good despite these few minor annoyances. I'm thinking about in the future getting the recent 2016 50th anniversary pressing, but this is good until then. Have any of you listened to this reissue? what are your thoughts? id love the feedback

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Haven't heard it, but if the timpani isn't there, then it has to be inferior doesn't it? My Analogue Productions stereo version is all I will ever need.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This is a historic release that doesn't get enough respect. It's almost misleading to call it a reissue since it was the first time that the new (and first ever) stereo mix created by Mark Linett and Brian Wilson for the 1997 Pet Sounds Sessions box appeared on vinyl. Which I believe is the same mix that's been used for every stereo Pet Sounds ever since, including the audiophile mastering ones.

I like this LP a lot and play it fairly often, but it's not a religious experience like the recent AP mono vinyl.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Newer pressings have Mike Love singing the bridge on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and the restored double tracked lead vocal on "You Still Believe In Me".

The Acoustic Sounds pressings are the best and readily available. No reason to keep chasing the dragon.

5. greenoort

Oh wow, i didn't know this existed! thank you for this.

6. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Would anyone happen to have a link for the Acoustic Sounds pressing? I believe I saw two versions on discogs that came out recently. Apologies if this is already on another thread.

7. greenoort

DHamilton likes this.
  8. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

patient_ot and DHamilton like this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Uh-oh.

Looks like rumors of the death of chasing the Pet Sounds dragon have been greatly exaggerated.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Pfft. I don't need to get up and flip the record over twice as many times. I'm good with the 33 1/3.

12. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I'm also iffy on the need for the 45 rpm versions. Not sure I understand why they felt the need to do a double-LP 45 rpm of Surfer Girl, either. Those songs are like, 2 minutes long, and some are even shorter. It's like having two EP's - weird. I can't justify $55 for this very reason, even if it sounds amazing. My 1980 green label John (Jay) Lemay Surfer Girl sounds amazing, and really ... you're gonna need a $10,000 audio system to tell the difference, I'd reckon.

13. Echoes Myron

The 2x45 stereo pet sounds is really that good. One of the best records I have ever heard.

John Manning likes this.
  14. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

Any comment on the packaging please?

15. Echoes Myron

Package is gorgeous. High gloss gatefold sleeve with extra photos and a note from BW on the inside.

John Manning likes this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This, every time. :agree:

John Manning likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.