Summer 2017 Criterion Sale at Barnes & Noble*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by jojopuppyfish, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

Barnes and Noble is now having a 50% off sale. FYI

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

How is it I'm a lot more exited about this, than I am Amazon's Prime Sale...? :confused:

lightbulb, drivingfrog and tkl7 like this.
  3. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Right now, I'm just trying to narrow down my list.

4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

What are the shipping options? E.g., can you have the item sent to a local B&N and avoid shipping costs?

5. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I think so, but they keep a pretty good stock of Criterions at their stores, so chances are you can just go there and buy whatever you're after to begin with.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

You can also order online for pick-up in-store. They will tell you whether the title you want is in stock at a particular store.

Note: If you pay for an annual membership with them, you will not be eligible for the additional 10% discount you normally get when purchasing in store if you pay online for store pick-up. You can still use the web site to see if the title is in stock before going there, though.

lightbulb and townsend like this.
  7. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Ordered a couple from Amazon a couple of nights ago. They hadn't shipped yet so cancelled and and ordered them from B&N.
    To my sister in SC. She is coming to Canada in a 3 weeks time about and will bring them.
    I ordered Blow Up (I hope I like it. Sound slow), Being There, The Lodger and His Girl Friday.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Waiting until the 25th. That's when Lost In America is released. That, and Straw Dogs will get me free shipping.

9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Pick up Ghost World. You're welcome.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I ordered Ikiru, Harakiri and Nashville. I will probably get some more in the weeks to come.

11. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I was able to order Lost In America (and one other title) this morning online, and B&N gave me the sale price automatically. It won't ship for a couple of weeks, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that B&N honored the sale price on the pre-order.

Myke likes this.
  12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Question for anyone in the know: Is there a difference in content between the individual Sanjuro/Yojimbo blu-rays vs. the Sanjuro/Yojimbo blu-ray set?

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I keep getting this :

" We could not process your order at this time because your coupon code C8EGU431TVN57 is not valid for this order. Please remove the coupon from your order and continue. "

My coupon code box is blank ! :cussing:

14. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I'm not %100 on this, but I'm pretty sure that the box set is just the individual Blu rays bundled together.

jriems likes this.
  15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

if you reserve in store for pick-up, they may call you and let you know that they will only hold the title for 1 day, as opposed to 3, because of the sale.

I reserved in store and picked up
    Ghost World
    Harold & Maude
    Yojimbo (have on DVD already)
    Tie Me Up Tie Me Down
    Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown
    Down By Law
    Straw Dogs

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

No difference, just the convenience of having both movies together.

jriems likes this.
  17. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I'd been saving for today, and went a little nuts...I picked up:
    Complete Monterey Pop Festival
    Don't Look Now
    Devil's Backbone
    The Game
    Hard Day's Night
    In A Lonely Place
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    Two-lane Blacktop

Also have Stalker pre-ordered from Amazon.

My Criterion Collection currently consists of 50 titles...I know I've got a problem - but I can stop whenever I want.

knob twirler likes this.
  18. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

I grabbed "In a Lonely Place" during last year's sale. Bogart's character is an absolute savage in that movie.

knob twirler likes this.
  19. IF with Malcolm McDowell. Saw it when it came out and love that it's one of the films to inspire Daniel Day Lewis to become and actor.

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just so you know, Criterion is excluded from any coupons Barnes and Noble sends out. There was an issue with them during the last summer sale.

21. Makes sense if you're already getting half off.

22. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Not necessarily. I had a 20% off coupon that I recently received by mail that worked on a Criterion title today, as I posted about in another thread discussing the sale. The cashier didn't even attempt to apply it manually, either - it was automatically applied to the most expensive item I purchased, a Criterion box set.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I'd have expected the point of sale terminals to be programmed to lock out a coupon from being used on Criterions during the sale and instead apply it to the priciest non-Criterion item in my purchase. That didn't happen.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

I usually have a hard time with these sales because there's so much good stuff. However, I do have set goals like upgrading my A Hard Day's Night DVD to the Blu-ray and getting the BBS Story set since that seems to be a fascinating piece of American indie film history.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for updates on this Sale!

25. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Now's the part of the sale where I go back and buy one or two additional titles I put down yesterday because I was controlling myself and not spending too much money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.