New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Eh, still there. From some Googling I wonder if a less-than-perfect input tube is allowing the grounding and ungrounding of the DC offset voltage to create the pop. Unclear to me how to fix it other than changing tubes.

2. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

I've rolled all the tubes in my 805. The most drastic changes in sound for me came with rolling the 805 tubes. The dynamics improved a lot. Deeper, tighter low end, and a more open clear high. Was a little surprised by that because so many say that the input tubes would make the biggest improvement in sound. I used TJ Full Music 805's.
    That being said, when I rolled with 6SN7'S and The 6SL7, the amp definitely idled quieter. It had a bit of a hum before I rolled those small tubes. I used Northern Electric tubes in those spots.
    The stock rectifier tube was all crooked looking so it was aesthetically enjoyable to roll that one!
    The tube that changed the sound the least was when I rolled the 300b's to some expensive Psvane WE-300b's. A bit of a let down. Live and learn. Next time I roll them, I'll probably use a genelex or tj full music tube.

peter fuller, Lee Seungwoo and JMAC like this.
  3. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Great advice, thanks!

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Try changing out the 6SL7 tube.....

JMAC likes this.
  5. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

Where did you purchase your TJ Music tubes?

6. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

The TJ tubes I purchased on eBay. There's also thetube-source.com or something like that which has them. Even if they don't show up on the website as available, if you email them, they may have the tubes you want available. My friend just purchased a set from them.
    There's always stuff to be found on eBay though. That being said, I've found that the 805 is one of the more difficult tubes to find. Grant fidelity sells the shuguang and Psvane ones but other than that, they aren't always easy to track down.

advanced101 likes this.
  7. mallen123

mallen123 New Member

Hi JD
    Was this the 805 you bought? Seems like a really large range of prices for 805, so wondering if one needs to buy a premium priced set ($889 ) like this?

2PCS Brand New TJ Fullmusic 805/CNE Vintage Vacuum tube 805 Factory matched pair | eBay

8. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

No I didn't buy the CNE tube. It was just the plain 805. They can be tricky to find. You just need to keep looking. Believe me, I'd love to have tried out that massive 805/CNE tube, it's gorgeous, but I was not prepared to drop that kind of money on the power tubes. If you do end up buying them, please let me know how they sound! I've yet to hear a review of those tubes.
    It's been my experience with my amp that the power tubes make the biggest change in the sound. That was surprising to me since everything I read was pointing at the small signal tubes to make larger improvements in sound quality.
    I have several sets of power tubes now and they all sound noticeably different. Very different in some cases.
    Also, I've found that they take about 30 hours to stop sounding a little bit boomy and muddied in the bass and shrill in the highs.

9. mallen123

mallen123 New Member

Hi JD,
    I haven't bought the LM yet, and am trying to decide between 508 and the 503PA (a lot more money ). I was trying to understand what the difference is with the 805/CNE and if it's worth twice the standard tube, but information on ebay adds is minimal. Do you know differences and why it's double the price of the standard TJ 805 (which as you mention, there are a lot fewer of on ebay and elsewhere ).

If I do get a 508, I would go for the upgrade TJ 805 tube and might do the CNE version if I can find information on it's differences

10. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

From what I've been able to find out about them, much of the justification in price difference (according to TJ) is durability, longevity, and heat dissipation. So maybe they last longer... I don't know more than that. There's that whole cool factor thing too. They look awesome.
    I hope you do get them just so I can get a damn review! It will save me the purchase anxiety if someone else tests them out before me. Haha
    Also, side not here, the LM 508IA is a really really great amp. I absolutely love mine and it sounds better with stock tubes the other line magnetic amps I heard did with their stock tubes. I don't know if it's just the 300b magic or what but it had a much better sense of realism than the 518IA did with its stock tubes.

11. Radiohead99

Radiohead99 Forum Resident

Can anyone tell me how hot LM508IA gets? Is it usable during the NYC summer in a 15'x12' living room? Do I've to turn on the AC in order to not get fried? But that'd be a bummer as my AC is little loud and would interfere with music

12. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

It puts off some good heat. The 805's and the transformers get really toasty. Great in winter. A little difficult in Summer. I have to run my A.C. before I listen while the amp is warming up and usually shut it down when I'm finally ready to drop the needle. No one wants to listen to LP's with an AC singing in the background

13. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I have the 518 and live in Greenpoint and can tell you that you will want to air condition the room before listening. The amps do get quite warm. I am able to crank the A/C beforehand, as JD mentioned above, and then turn it off while listening.

SandAndGlass and Radiohead99 like this.
  14. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

Arent you going to have youre AC in the summer anyway? Yes they give off good heat. Hot enough that reviewer steve huff got rid of his 219ia eventually, eventhough he says it was the best amp he had ever heard, and that it could drive his speakers better than any amp before including large solid state amps he had owned. That good. But still the heat was too much in his room. Me personally, i turn up the air if i need be and the AC sound has no interference at all. Winter time ill probably crack the window if really need be. Would probably need to be a 3 hour listening session to warrant that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  15. advanced101

My 219 puts off a noticable amount of heat in a 13x25 room. Enough that the central air conditioning gets a workout. Im in Texas too. But it is worth it.

jkull likes this.
  16. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

"But it is worth it". - Sums it up.

SandAndGlass and advanced101 like this.
  17. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Not even close... It's definitely worth it. I never once thought I'd rather be using a solid state amplifier.

advanced101 and Radiohead99 like this.
  18. Radiohead99

Few questions to SET owners. I'm seriously considering a SET integrated amp. However, in my experience a tube preamp can make/break a system more than an amplifier. Does investing in a SOTA preamp would be smarter than having a SET amp (and deal with the retubing cost and heat)? This is assuming my speaker is SET friendly. However, my music taste includes a lot of rock music.

Some more question:

1. My tv is hooked up to my speaker. I obviously do not want day to day netflix binge to eat away SET tubes and the resultant heat ofc. How do you guys use your speaker hooked up with your TV and not use your SET amp?
    2. If I'm not listening to jazz/acoustic/classical that much and mostly listening to indie music, is SET amp worth it?
    3. I understand that preamp is the weak link in Line Magnetic integrated. But how weak are we talking about? Is adding a $3k (on audiogon) preamp would be an improvement to the 508ia?

19. Radiohead99

I've a pair of Daedalus Athena V.2 and Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Voxativ. Both are around 95db efficient and 7 ohm impedance.

advanced101 likes this.
  20. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Guys, c'mon it's not that hot. When people walk by the amp they comment "Whoa, I can feel the heat from those tubes!" But naked old men aren't lining up outside my living room to use it as a sauna.

I am not a preamp expert but my sense is that the 508ia is like my old Decware amp--a power amp with inputs and a volume knob. It's not degrading the sound as much as it's not adding something to it. A good preamp will make a difference. But the stock 508ia shouldn't be seen as having a "poor" preamp.

Personally, I think it sounds astounding. But I'm also looking into getting a Linear Tube Audio MZ2-s for its headphone amp.

SandAndGlass, IanL and Radiohead99 like this.
  21. Radiohead99

I've used LTA MZ2s as preamp. I wasn't very impressed coming from Melody P2688 preamp. But it wasn't bad either. I was more impressed with the professionalism and support from LTA guys.

JMAC likes this.
  22. advanced101

I have a set of Daedalus too. The built in preamp is quite good, especially with upgraded tubes. But, I believe it can be bettered with a good preamp. I can't put a dollar value on what it takes. Your best bet is to get the 508 and live with it for a while, upgrade the tubes then demo some preamps.

IanL and Radiohead99 like this.
  23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

That's helpful, thanks.

24. Lee Seungwoo

Lee Seungwoo Active Member

I have decided to order 508ia.

My last worry is that the high note of 508ia is too strong for ears to endure.

Is there anyone who can tell me that I don't need to worry?

25. advanced101

I thought it was neutral if anything. Not warm and fuzzy but also doesn't accentuate anything.