Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I know he was a progidy but I've never heard his name mentioned in association with Blakey before. but I just find it unlikely that he went to Europe with the regular Messengers.

Jazz discography doesn't mention Williams as having played on the two tracks from 1962.

Wayne Shorter Catalog

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

ANOTHER Rollins.

[​IMG]

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Marc CoplandCrosstalk (Pirouet Records)
    — Marc Copland: piano; Greg Osby: alto saxophone; Doug Weiss; bass; Victor Lewis: drums

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz and Lonson like this.
  4. Lonson

[​IMG]

The amazing disc III with the live material from Berlin. Sounds excellent as well as excellent playing.

5. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

6. Lonson

This is a really interesting and fabulously arranged session. The Verve digipak cd edition I have I considered the worst sounding Jobim cd I have. Until one day I decided to listen to it with the phase/polarity reversed. On my DirectStream DAC that is easily accomplished by selecting "OUT" on the phase button. Instantly became a system showcasing disc!

[​IMG]

Soulpope likes this.
  7. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Much as I like Coltrane if you compare him to such as Schubert he didn't achieve that much:)

8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Duke Ellington - Masterpieces by Ellington
    Amazing that something recorded 67 years ago can sound this good!
    [​IMG]

Erik B., vanhooserd, alankin1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Erroll Garner - Ready Take One
    Sounds like he wouldn't want to do anything else but play piano!
    [​IMG]

10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Dexter Gordon - Dexter Calling...
    Lots of fun as usual!
    [​IMG]

Erik B., markp, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Horace Silver Quintet - Finger Poppin'

An excellent collection of Silver compositions in great sound from Kevin Gray and Ron Rambach of Music Matters.

12. Lonson

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I had this one cleaned a week or two ago and putting it on for a play (I may have started playing it after first getting it cleaned but I only had time to get through the first track or two). I believe this'll be the first time I played it through since I first got it 12 or 13 years ago.

Chick Corea and Return to Forever - Light as a Feather

[​IMG]

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

If you base it on just number of compositions, then he didn't come close to Schubert. I think Coltrane was a more radical innovator though.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Is that an early printing of the cover or a later reproduction (many import pressings used the red cover)? I love to find vintage covers at garage sales (though I would say Columbia had a terrible art department). Columbia designated this LP in their "Classical" catalogue, thus the ML4418 number. Later, they put it in the Popular catalogue with a new LP number and cover.

[​IMG]

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I don't think Schubert played 250+ concerts per year, living in cars and buses, working til 2:00 AM in smoke filled rooms.

You can't compare Einstein with Galileo, either - although Einstein probably was funnier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Art Ensemble of Chicago - "Les Stances a Sophie" (Soul Jazz Records SJR LP191)

[​IMG]

lschwart, Soulpope, alankin1 and 3 others like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wish Armstrong had made many more LPs in the 1950's! This album is one that I got at a garage sale autographed by Louis for the people who gave it to me. I was so excited, they gave it to me for free. They had seen him about 10 times in the 1950s.

alankin1 and Blue Note like this.
  19. Lonson

Thanks to the mention in this thread I'm enjoying this excellent two cd set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock, rxcory and alamo54us like this.
  20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

It is a reproduction for an AP reissue that is very well done in my opinion. I find it's artwork more appealing than the later Columbia release. Thanks for the history on that.

21. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Mine should be here tomorrow!

rxcory likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'll have to check this one out soon, I've the Imagined Savior... which I really like (it also gets bonus points in my book because a friend that I went to school with sings on one track).

rxcory likes this.
  23. David Ellis

Interesting proposition. How would we measure it?

24. David Ellis

Schubert played virtually every night of his short life. At that time one was a performer first and a composer second (in my understanding). That was besides drinking, gambling and sex (via prostitutes, thus the syphilis).
    But I do agree that I was unfairly comparing apples with pears. Just mischief I suppose:hide:

25. Martin Pearman

Martin Pearman Member

My fiancée and I recently popped to a Kamasi Washington gig. Had a great night and managed to pick up a signed print and meet the big man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]