Resonance Records: 40% off Bill Evans releases

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Carraway, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Question is, which BE is the best on this label?

Lost Session, Top of the Gate, or Another Time?

3. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Well the only one that is still available on vinyl is the "Top of the Gate". Does anyone have it and can say if it's worth picking up or not?

4. Carraway

That's tough, as they all have their strengths and quirks. They're all from 1968 and mainly consist of jazz standards. Eddie Gomez is the bassist on all three. Jack DeJohnette is the drummer on Some Other Time and Another Time, while Marty Morell is on Top of the Gate.

Also, Top of the Gate is a club date, Some Other Time is a studio setting, and Another Time is a radio broadcast recording before a small audience. For recording quality, I think Some Other Time is the best, but Evans' piano is clearly at the forefront with DeJohnette especially laying back and fairly low in the mix. The other two aren't as pristine recording wise, but they're more clearly trio albums with a lot of trio interplay being better heard. Also, I think Evans was at his best with an audience.

So personally I'd go for Top of the Gate first, as it's a great example of a live Evans trio at a club date. If I were mostly interested in the best recorded sound of Evans' piano, I'd pick Some Other Time. I'd go with Another Time if I wanted the trio dynamics with DeJohnette on drums.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. Carraway

I only have the digital version of that one. Based on that, I think it's worth picking up. I'm tempted to get the LP as well, but it's a bit pricey even with the discount (especially after I bought speakers a few weeks ago and took advantage of "Prime Day.")

6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Ended up going with these two, and they're throwing in a bonus CD sampler Jazz Haunts as well for orders over $25. Very good deal IMO.

Carraway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.