Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The Adagio in the 3rd - "De Profundis Clamavi" - is absolutely gorgeous.

2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  3. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

If you know how to use proxies, you could attempt to create a UK account (which is what I have), where it isn't blocked. But yeah, it's a bummer...

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 5 from Spotify Premium. Symphonies 7, 10 and the Kratt (Goblin) Suite.

[​IMG]

Marzz, bluemooze and Fafner88 like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I do know how, I've never run into a territorial block on Spotify until now.

6. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

This is because usually they aren't showing what they are blocking from you...

7. Scopitone

I run into it all the time, but not so often on classical. It happens in pop and rock.

I think that's the first classical album I have seen only partially available.

8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Yeah, not sure. This one is definitely grayed out. Not sure why something on Philips isn't available. I can buy this two-for for about $30.00, but I want to hear it first, especially the 8th.

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Once you create the account, do you need to use the proxy. The proxies I've used have been pretty slow. I used them to create and use a Qobuz account. After a while, I didn't need the proxy anymore.

10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Bartok meets Messiaen.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm not sure I want to go through all that for one recording. I have a U.S. Premium account with playlists and lots of saved albums. I don't want to have to cancel that, nor do I want to pay for a second account. The free version is not very appealing, sonic-wise.

12. David*M

David*M Forum Resident

I don't think a broadway musical, as those are typically orchestrated. My guess is that it refers to a libretto and music he composed on piano, but was never orchestrated for full orchestra. Kind of like the original piano version of "Pictures at an Exhibition" as opposed to one of the orchestrated versions.

Mr Bass and Scopitone like this.
  13. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

On spotify you need only to login into your account via the proxy every 14 days or so just to load the page once, and that's it. You don't need to be on a proxy all the time to actually stream anything because they think that you are on vacation in another country (and they allow you to do that indefinitely).

14. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

When I switched from a US to a UK account I suddenly started finding many new classical albums that I haven't seen before, so they also block whole albums.

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Must be those copyrighted recordings permissible in the UK but not in the US ...

16. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Interpretation-wise, I don't think this particular recording differs that much from Haitink's other numerous recordings of the piece (so you are not missing much that you haven't already heard on his other recording with the Concertgebouw), and Philips provide their usual balanced and open sound, though it has some digital edge to it on the loud parts. (But it's always nice to hear the Vienna phil. in this music yet again, if you are a fan of the orchestra as I am)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  17. Scopitone

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Haitink's 1981 recording of Bruckner 8 with the Concertgebouw Orchestra is a much more fiery, tauter and more impressive performance than his first one with them, from the 1960s. By the way, Haitink recorded the 8th only twice with the Concertgebouw Orchestra while he was their principal conductor (until 1988). His recording with the Vienna Philharmonic dates from 1995.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Maybe you are right, I haven't listened to these recordings in quite a while, perhaps I shouldn't trust my memory this much...

And I forgot to mention, but my favorite Bruckner 8th by Haitink is with the Staatskapelle Dresden on their live label (from 2002 or so). It's a really special recording.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Heard that one, or at least parts of it, on Dutch public classical radio and to be honest I wasn't impressed. Many of Haitink's recordings from his later years, say from the 2000s onward, sound tired and uninspired to me. He was my favourite Concertgebouw Orchestra conductor and I saw him live at the Concertgebouw.

21. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

I tend to agree with this statement, but there are exceptions however (I also love his Bruckner 6 with Dresden, and few other pretty good resales with that orchestra).

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I looked on YouTube. I think every recorded Eighth except this one is there. :doh: Oh well, no biggie...

23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

24. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 1 from "Tchaikovsky - Romances Complete Collection" performed by S. Lemeshev, E. Obraztsova, V. Alantov, T. Milashkina, M. Magomaev and I. Arkhipova on Melodiya.

[​IMG]

Fafner88 likes this.