Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Amazon has not done a video release for "Transparent", which is (I think) their most acclaimed show. So I'm guessing a DVD or BD release for "Crisis" is not in the cards.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:(

3. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

it's too bad I missed this whole thing (I almost never come in the VA section). Just saw his latest, thought it was great.

4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, seeing as we're such accommodating folk here, you're welcome to backtrack to any particular film here and we'll be happy to tell you why your opinion of it is wrong.

:D

johnaltman and RayS like this.
  5. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

46-24
    23-11
    10-1

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Matchpoint
    Midnight In Paris
    Top two.

7. mr_spenalzo

Ok, attempt at top 10:

01 - Match Point
    02 - Manhattan Murder Mystery
    03 - Husbands and Wives
    04 - Deconstructing Harry
    05 - Crimes and Misdemeanours
    06 - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
    07 - Hannah and Her Sisters
    08 - Radio Days
    09 - Annie Hall
    10 - Interiors

8. mrjinks

Time for news on the new film?

[​IMG]

smilin ed and RayS like this.
  9. RayS

Woody's Facebook interview.

Some information on "Wonder Wheel", and some surprises regarding Woody and technology (Who would have guessed that Woody can "Dial up the YouTube" on his smart phone?) He had to use a lot of CGI for the Coney Island Boardwalk to look like 1950.

10. mrjinks

I thought that was kind of fun. When's the last time you've actually SEEN a Woody interview? He comes across pretty well in (most) print interviews, I think, but those should be interesting to read, due to editing. It was nice to see him respond directly to questions here to see how sharp he still is. Some of his answers were a little rambling, and some of the questions weren't all that great (some more from online would've been nice), but it was a pleasant little diversion for an hour...

RayS likes this.
  11. RayS

Sometimes in the press conferences at the festival premieres he comes across as a bit of a bewildered old man, but I think a lot of that derives from his hearing issues which are compounded in those environments.

There is a bit of the McCartney thing here - same old answers to same old questions, as if Weide figured he wanted to share that information with a broader audience so he let Woody roll on and on with some tired stories (tired to the hardcore fans, anyway).

12. mrjinks

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

Yeah, I thought this was initially odd, but apparently Woody is okay with awards as long as they aren't based around a competition and a notion of "best".

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. mr_spenalzo

:laugh:

Can't wait to see this turn up on Youtube.

mrjinks likes this.
  15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Finally got around to seeing this and I was more than pleasantly surprised. I agree about the hooker scene. I thought it was going to have ramifications later and be part of the bigger plot, but no... As a Woody substitute, there were times when Eisenberg was almost as irritating as Branagh - though more so during the hooker scene. Definitely one of the better later films, however.

RayS likes this.
  16. mrjinks

RayS likes this.
  17. RayS

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was just about to ask when this movie was coming out.

A wait until December is disappointing. If he is still working on it I guess his one movie per year streak may be in jeopardy.

Interesting to read Kate Winslet was up for "Match Point".

19. RayS

Unless something has changed, the film is done. It could have been out in September - this is a "strategic" decision to position the film better (or to position some other film better, necessitating this move).

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of his film for next year which I realize was unclear in my post. There may be resistance to releasing a film so quickly if this one is not well received.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    RayS likes this.
  21. RayS

Ah, I see! Good question. Maybe Amazon wants to let the lingering negativity over "Crisis" pass as fully as possible before releasing the film. Or has everyone forgotten it already?

tonyc and mrjinks like this.
  22. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Sleeper and Annie Hall, both good films!:cool::-popcorn:

23. mrjinks

I just stumbled across this and haven't watched it yet, so I can't vouch for it, but diehards like Ray and I (and perhaps a few others) might find it worthwhile:

[not sure why it references David Lean in the title, as it appears to be a standard interview!]

RayS likes this.
  24. RayS

I watched this a few days ago, as it was "new to me" as well, despite being about 10 years old. Some of the stories are well-trod, but the interviewer is very well informed and Woody is more relaxed than usual and quite funny. My favorite line was about the possibility of making a one-off comeback to stand-up - "I just said that to get rid of him".

mrjinks likes this.
  25. mrjinks

Just watched this and have to give kudos to the interviewer, as well. He knew his subject well enough to frame the questions so that he wouldn't get a "tried and true" answer, much of the time. He could push Woody past the obvious answer to get just a little bit more depth on the responses - well done.

RayS likes this.