The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I followed you for the most part, except for some of the tune name abbrevitions :laugh:. That's no fault of yours though, just my state of noobitude.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

That '72 <<<<<< '77? :shh:, don't tell @Archtop he might be devastated.

Ezzie, Archtop and warewolf95 like this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

I really love that disc. Lazy River Road, Whisley in the Jar, So Many Roads

4. trd

trd Forum Resident

I still have and use my original :)

That and my taping compendiums have been with me since college. They're all well broken in ha

warewolf95, Ezzie, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

For your first time viewing Sunshine Daydream, make sure it's in the afternoon on a day that's at least 90 degrees F. Turn off your a/c, open the windows and bring several containers of yogurt to the den. Screw comfort - you need the full authentic experience!

PS, if there is a pole-like structure in the vicinity, you might just have to get into your skivvies once "Dark Star" begins. Then again, that might depend on how electric your yogurt happens to be.

:tiphat::winkgrin:

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Insufficient.

Nekkid and Sunburned is required.

bmoregnr, Ezzie, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Re: So Many Roads, disc 5

Me too. That 1994 GD album, if it had come to be, would've been a nice improvement on Built to Last.

Matthew Tate and trd like this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

74-09-11

Starts with a fine Scarlet Begonias(although it had some sound problems) but now I'm skipping ahead to the middle of Sea stones, that's were the big jam takes off, and it leads into a massive 45 min Eyes of the world>Wharf rat

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wish I'd bought the taping compendiums back when they came out. At that point, I made the financial decision to buy blank tapes rather than books, and then went into a fallow period in terms of GD interest and they were out of print by the time I was back into the deep waters (like a fool I mixed metaphors, and it strangled up my mind). I was able to get my hands on volume I for a relatively good price recently, but would like to have the rest, even if they're outdated in some regards.

Anyway, I wrapped up 5/25/77 Richmond tonight. Re-listening to it didn't change my mind about the Scarlet->Fire, it's a fine version, almost a textbook May '77 version, but lacks anything truly unique or over the top that gives character to the best versions that month. I wouldn't have complained hearing it in live though. I thought the jam out of Estimated was terrific. The Other One wasn't as good as 5/18, but still very good, with the very interesting solo guitar transition into Wharf Rat and of course the transition back. Pretty nice Wheel as well although not as good as 5/19/77. Overall, one of the weaker shows of the month - but still a great show.

Starting 5/26/77 Baltimore tonight, never had listened to this one before. Music Never Stopped and Sugaree are both very strong, unsurprisingly. Bobby chiding all the folks who got to the show late was pretty funny. (I myself have hardly ever been late to a rock and roll show. Dead-wise, my big regret was waiting too long to try to get into the first show at the Knickerbocker in Albany on 3/24/90 and missing most of the Help->Slip->Franklin's the second and last show I went to where they did it with Brent). I don't think I was ever late for any other show, except that I was ticketless and did not manage to sneak into 9/16/90 MSG until setbreak, and missed the first minute or so of Shakedown on 3/18/90 due to severe car problems (engine fell out of the VW bus - seriously). Anyway, I digress, but I swear I am not drinking and posting as much as last night, when my warning about the dangers of drinking and posting ended mid-word. That was ugly.

bmoregnr, adamos, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There was also the Phish show at Bill Graham Civic where I had to shelter in place at a bar in the Tenderloin due to a bomb threat and missed most of the first set. But I digress further.

11. Tonight spinning Download Series 6, Carousel Ballroom 3/17/68, which I have not revisited in a long while. Lovelight, Other One > New Potato > China Cat > Spanish Jam > Eleven > Caution > Feedback. We're due for a '68 release, IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Scopitone, dgwint, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Deadbase IX, which I've had for 22 years, is still one of my most read books. Mine is all marked up with corrections, especially in 1969 where off the top of my head I would say at least 10 shows are missing.

I guess they kept certain stuff from book to book and introduced new features etc.

Like mine has Garciabase, but X maybe I read X doesn't?

I also like posting excerpts and quotes from reviews written by people I suspect might be on this forum. ;)

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

built to last has too much brent. "just a little light" and "I will take you home" could have been left off and add 1 jerry tune and 1 bob tune.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I got Tapers Compendium volume one for $30 a few months ago and thought it was a steal.

Then I noticed it was signed by one of the authors!

"Far out," I said to myself, thinking the deal was even better.

Then I noticed a small, penciled-in numeral '1' with a diagonal slash after it.

I've shopped at enough used book stores to know that this was sitting on a bookstore shelf (probably rather musty,) and could have been had at one point for a lousy buck.

Still, it was a great buy and is a great read - and a copy may be sitting on a moldering table in some ramshackle victorian on a US highway, to be picked up for a genuine steal by the inquisitive Deadhead.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Blue Note like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Copyright laws likely will push for '68 releases next year at least. More Primal Dead is always a good thing! I tend to forget about the Download releases, but should revisit some of them soon. I listened to the whole series in order two or three years ago, but haven't revisited any of them since. Not surprisingly, there is gold in them thar hills.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

One regret I have is that back when the Compendium was being put together, they were soliciting reviews, and I was too lazy/busy (mostly lazy, to be honest) to submit any. But I did manage to write a chapter on Jerry solo recordings that came out elsewhere around that time...

[Edit: it was also interesting to see what sections they kept and what they dropped when various Deadbases came out. IIRC I started with Deadbase II, and probably picked up another three or so versions over the years when they were being released, and of course thumbed through most or all of the others at various friends' places. There were usually some cool new features, as well as others I was disappointed to see had gone by the waysided. In the pre-Internet era, an incredibly valuable reference source.]

Scopitone and ianuaditis like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It could have been worse. Gentlemen, Start Your Engines could have made the cut, too.

18. Matthew Tate

true

19. Yeah, I was wondering if Dead releases were going to start heading in the direction of the Dylan Bootles Series, i.e., with copyright concerns taking greater precedence as the 50-year window gets closer to the major vault holdings. Maybe the market with the Dead is different, though, with so much in wide circulation already. Imagine a 1969 copyright protection release!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good point, the market forces may be very different considering how much more is out there already compared to most other artists.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This reminded me of the tacked on speech at the end of the final disc. Apparently Gans was really upset about Cutler putting it on there, without his knowledge. Not sure I see what's so offensive about it. I believe it was removed from later pressings.

A wonderful set. Extremely raw. It's especially exciting when you realise you're listening to a piece of Anthem Of The Sun, then suddenly you're not again.

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Got it all, like some, love some. Saw Mickey's solo projects in concert over the years. Loved his Global project live and the Mickey Hart Band .

23. Matthew Tate

whats your favorite albums by hart?

24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

LOL any time! :D

You know how i rave about a show i think was hot, well, this show just went above and beyond. It was,incredible,

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Skivvies? A Pole Man doesn't need no stinking skivvies!