Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I remember the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour when they had Gary Wallis over-playing programmed drums & percussion while standing up the entire set in that huge drum cage... while Nick was left barely playing at all. It was sad to see.

By The Division Bell tour they had dozens of drums between them! Mason said, "Gary Wallis and I ended up with thirty-odd drums, twenty pads, forty-odd cymbals and innumerable other bits of junk bolted to the drum risers, an installation that should have qualified us for the Turner Prize."

Joey Waronker has been doing a fantastic job on drums with Waters on Us+Them tour + album.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Except of course for Jim Keltner and/or Carmine Appice on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason:laugh:

klockwerk, JoeRockhead and anth67 like this.
  3. darthgator

darthgator Forum Resident

I would agree. I just saw the Tampa show last night. I had 11th row center floor seats. These give one a good view of Roger and the band, but it was difficult/impossible to see the whole show.

Quickly, my two cents:

1) I thought the sound was an A+. The band sounded great and the surround effects were cool.

2) The production values were good, but do not expect the Wall level here. I thought the Wall show was superior in all respects, but the production of Us and Them was still hands down better than what you will get from other artists.

3) [mod edit]

4) The set list was good, though I felt that WYWH and OOTD came off a bit dull for me. I enjoyed the material form ITTLWRW. Dogs and Pigs were great. The clear highlight of the show for me was brain damage and eclipse. The laser pyramid was awesome, but being on the floor is probably not the best place to take in all of the visuals.

5) I would say that a negative for the show was the ticket pricing. This could just be anecdotal, but my tickets for the Wall were much less expensive for comparable seats and as I said before the production was quite a bit more elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    audiotom, puffyrock2, tedhead and 2 others like this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The sound was stunning. Hands down the best sound anyone's ever gotten out of Portland's "big" arena, the Moda Center (formerly Rose Garden). And arguably the best sound I've ever heard at a rock show.
    Waiting for the lights to go down, we started looking around for the expected surround speakers and finally spotted them, sliver-shaped and placed way up near the last rows about every few sections. The spirit of the Azimuth Coordinator lives on :edthumbs: I have no doubt that the worst seats in the house still had incredible sound.

Our seats were about the same as yours, and I'd concur it was a great place to be. The pig flew right over our heads, had I been only twice as tall I think I could've touched its belly!

You're probably right that a little further back in the 100's might've even been better for the visuals. Just talked to someone who was straight back from the stage, between the left & right "Battersea" walls. Didn't realize there was a space between, but apparently so and she said Roger stood & played to that center swath of audience, as kind of consolation for their lack of visuals she supposed.

Inner ear likes this.
  5. anth67

OOTD is where the show actually took life for me, Breathe was just kind of acclimating. I thought it RAWKED ~ I wouldn't have thought I'd enjoy it so much without Dave in the house. But I've seen the other three do it without Rog, so this made it complete.

Amazing how much gravitas Waters embodies by himself ~ that angst factor, always an integral part of classic PF (at least as far back as Syncopated Pandemonium), was the missing element from the tours without him, which me & my brother intuited right away with this show. Just wish he'd have bashed a gong somewhere in there :D

JoeRockhead likes this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Gilmour has definitely shyed away from the angst factor. That was always Roger's thing anyway.

7. darthgator

Yes, the seats were great. It was cool being "inside" the power station!

8. anth67

Yes. Neither of them can ever fully compensate for the absence of the other. Those of you who got to experience their alchemy in full measure are extremely blessed :)

9. beansandcornbrea

beansandcornbrea Forum Resident

Me and the wife were there as well in club seats in about the middle of the arena. The sound was incredible and it was the perfect place to see all of the visuals. I stayed away from set lists and reviews before hand so everything was a surprise to me. It was great from the beginning but after intermission it really ramped up. Great crowd that was with him the entire show.

[​IMG]

10. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

I also was at the Tampa show. Floor 2 Row 11. I didnt mind being inside the power plant because I was so close to my favoriate musician. He was enjoying himself and would smile before every special effect and seemed to take pleasure from the positive receptions to the new songs. I only heard one F you during pigs and I think Roger heard it and laughed.

I saw him in 07 and this lineup was better. Probably the best show I've been to. I highly recommend going if you have the chance.

11. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

Re: VIP material

Finally got my box day after concert via FedEx. The people in charge of shipping them out dropped the ball. I'd have liked the lanyard to wear at the show. At first I thought they forgot the lithographs but it was under the padding under the coffee mug, lanyard, and fake ticket (What's up with Floyd related products and fake tickets? Almost was expecting a marble. lol.). So if you're expecting one be sure to look under padding. Was supposed to get 2 but got 4. 2 are the main logo depicted on box (duplicated), pig over power plant with logo, and pig silhouettes with logo.

Was hoping for the really cool green shaded pig climbing over the wall one I saw at the merch booth. I didn't buy it because I thought it may come with the box. Now I'm regretting not buying it (first world problem).

May throw my duplicate on eBay and buy an over priced green pig lithograph if I see one.

darthgator likes this.
  12. darthgator

I agree with your comments and, yes, the show was fantastic.
    Another thing that I enjoyed was at the end of the intermission when the alarms were going off and the power station was being set up.
    yes, I almost missed the lithographs!

Hot Ptah likes this.
  13. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw The Who last year with their video screens. Waters' screens and images on this tour are about a million times better. There is no comparison at all. This Waters tour has the best visuals of any concert I have ever seen. Unless you attend a Waters show this year, you don't know.

14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

⇧ and the best sound!

pablorkcz and marc with a c like this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

My understanding was that came about because Mason was not in good playing shape and couldn't handle it himself. I really liked that tour, though, which I saw outdoors in Milwaukee and indoors in Chicago. Oddly, setlist.fm shows essentially the same for both shows but that is NOT my recollection. My recollection is the crowd went nuts when they went into "Echoes."

The Division Bell tour...I'm getting confused now, as we saw Floyd twice at the Rose Bowl, and the second time seemed rather deja vu, and "Run Like Hell" rather predictable and long. But I can't figure what tours those could have been, it doesn't make sense to me now. I don't see any other time they played there. Maybe we saw both nights, explaining the "deja vu" feeling but that doesn't seem right either. Very unfortunately, I had read somewhere (Rolling Stone?) that they were opening with "Astronomy Domine." I love that song and it would have been a great surprise, deflated by that spoiler. Oh well.

...except it had already been won by those dang American boys, Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Missed my point completely.

17. Hot Ptah

How so? I thought that your point was that other bands have had effective visuals before this Waters tour. My point is that to my knowledge and experience, this Waters tour is taking visuals to a different level, so that you are comparing apples and oranges, or perhaps apples and poppyseeds, by lumping these Waters visuals in with the visuals of other artists of the past and present.

If that was not your point, I hope you explain.

audiotom likes this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I thought that my post was pretty clear. Here it is again, highlighting my point.
    That's my point. A large video screen doesn't equate spectacle to me and there's quite a bit being recycled for this tour. Just my opinion.

19. Hot Ptah

My point is, a large video screen with mundane stuff displayed is not a spectacle. Several huge video screens with certain compelling content, combined with other visuals, can be a spectacle. It all depends on the content displayed. To me, what is displayed on the screens on this current Waters tour qualifies as a spectacle.

20. anth67

While I might not qualify it as spectacle, the pre- & post-show screens of the woman on the beach were certainly artistic. And ultimately stirring, when her child joined her at the end.

audiotom likes this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Sade 2010 was pretty cutting edge

including the veiled projection techniques

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Fair enough. Perhaps you'd like to share some examples of what specifically you regard as spectacle regarding the screen images.

23. Hot Ptah

As anth67 pointed out a few posts above, the pre and post show scenes of a woman on a beach, and a film of her with her child on the beach during a new song, were moving. The visuals during the Dark Side of the Moon songs were exciting to me, and apparently to most of the crowd at my show, from their reaction. The large laser prism was a surprise, and quite compelling. The long wall with smoking smokestacks on top of it was striking. The visuals on the long wall before and after the Trump stuff were fast changing and striking. The Trump stuff, apart from political orientation, was beyond your normal concert going experience. The large flying pig was an added bonus.

Now my 88 year old father thinks it is a spectacle when a young guitarist tosses his hair while playing a solo, as in "why is that idiot making such a spectacle of himself." So the word spectacle means different things to different people.

Maybe someone who had seen Pink Floyd and Roger Waters and David Gilmour live dozens of times before would have said, ho hum, more of the same. I have not seen them live dozens of times, and this show was a spectacle to me.

aphexj likes this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for your post. That's where the difference is, I've seen Pink Floyd/Roger Waters/David Gilmour on every tour multiple times since 1977. I've also been fortunate to have seen dozens of other shows in that time which I'd regard as spectacle. A giant screen alone doesn't cut it for me in regards to that term and I found some of the videos projected to be confusing and even boring. Yes, some were moving but I wouldn't categorize that as spectacle. Roger used the prism effect (and confetti) during the DSOTM tour and the pig has flown over my head many times (I even have a piece of the one the crowd pulled down in the Wrigley Field show). I feel that the projected images used during The Wall tour were much more impressive, appropriate, and less random. That, to me, was spectacle.

Also, can someone please tell me what the heck is the deal with the video that Roger is using for One of These Days?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    audiotom likes this.
  25. Hot Ptah

Now I understand our differences in perspective.

It is the Nasheet Waits thing. Nasheet Waits is a jazz drummer who plays with national groups. He came to my city a few years ago. Many musicians were in the audience. One of them raved that seeing Waits would give everyone quite a lesson in how to really play. I wanted to say, but did not, "as I saw Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Keith Moon, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Ed Blackwell, and Louis Bellson, I am sorry but Nasheet Waits is not turning my world upside down." Someone with a lot of experiences is going to be less impressed with what comes next.

rontoon and audiotom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.