The Beatles - Capitol Albums Vol 1 & 2 v The US albums box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been doing a quick check on Amazon but thought I would ask the good people here who have the knowledge.......

Do you need all of 3 of these sets or does the Us albums box set contain everything from the Capitol Years 1 & 2 sets?

btomarra and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The two Capitol Years sets contain the actual original US issue albums, as originally mastered, warts and all.

The US albums box set is produced from a hodge podge of masters, many not true to the original US releases. So you get the right track listings, but the sound of the songs may not be what you remember.

3. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

There are lots of good videos on YouTube, especially the one by MeanMrMayo that explains the differences well. The newer set is nicer looking, but the Vol 1&2 are more true to the original releases in regards to sound.

4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Two completely different things, really. The Capitol boxes are both essential, and are my preferred versions for most of that material. But you still need the US albums for Beatles Story and the Hard Days Night soundtrack. (And Yesterday and Today and Hey Jude are nice to have also).

5. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the responses, much appreciated. :righton:

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  6. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

I would.buy Cap Albums 1 and 2 plus individual Y&T and AHDN. That would pretty much have you covered.

7. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Buy the lot, get everything, it's only money! :uhhuh::agree::agree::laugh::uhhuh:

8. Sidewinder43

Your name says it all. Ha ha.

9. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Just recently picked up the two Capitol Years sets and was surprised at how good they sounded.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

They do sound great and everyone that bought them upon release felt the same way...the only shortcoming was in the cheesy packaging and the mini Lp covers were not of highest quality. In this respect, the U.S. Albums box set is the winner.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And the mistake on the first run of the second box, where a fold down was used for one of the mono albums. It was fixed in subsequent runs of that box.

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

Two of the albums (Ribber Soul & Beatles VI). The other two albums (Early & Help!) were also - and remained - digital folds, as there were no actual mono versions.

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Try to nab the Japanese version of the Capitol 1 and 2 boxes, packaging is better, and the CDs actually come with inner sleeves. Very nice sounding sets.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Capitol made good on it though; per their instructions, I sent in my "bad" Rubber Soul and they sent me a 'good' one.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..hmmm...that's something to seek out...

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My Beatles VI was fine. My "go to" track to test it out was I Don't Want To Spoil The Party..in the stereo version, there's a faint "whoo" just prior to the guitar solo; in the true mono version it's totally inaudible,

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just checked out both sets on Amazon...why is vol.2 nearly 300 bucks and vol.1 is about 1/10th the price???

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I was curious about this, so I posted it for those who might be curious too!
    There were a few things I did not know about the 2014 set!
    (I didn't feel like wading through another 8,762 page Beatles
    thread for information.....especially when a good 1/4 of the responses are totally off topic or snarky- par for the course these days here..............:p)

19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I don't get it either - the original US versions on CD sound so good...almost better than the 2009!

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

They did an amazing job with the mini album covers in the second set. I'm guessing that's the reason.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  21. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I don't get the desire for these sets, I had Vol One and Two for about ten years before I finally traded them in. This may be the sound you remember, but to me they sound like ****. What is suppose to be good about them anyway, other than nostalgia?

22. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I prefer the Rubber Soul US version Stereo. The covers are different, and if you play CDs in a player, it's fun to have different track listings even if you are not buying out of nostalgia.

23. Sidewinder43

I think the reverb laden Beatles Second Album sounds great. I also greatly prefer the mono She's a Woman. When I first heard the UK mix in 1976, I thought there was something wrong.

DRM, Dave112, stevenson66g and 14 others like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

are you referring to the Japanese Vol. 2 version? The US Vol. 2 is in the $30+ range at Amazon.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Those CDs were pressed before Loudness War became a common thing on remasters.^^