Better Call Saul - Season Three Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I thought McKean was great. I'm sorry to see him go. Chuck is the best role I've ever seen him in, although I really like This Is Spinal Tap and its cousin, A Mighty Wind.

Maybe it's true that comedic roles are the hardest to play well, because the comedic actors Gilligan recruits (Cranston, Odenkirk and McKean) have all crushed their dramatic roles.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Noting that the buzzing/lighting cliche made it to broadcast does not involve reading minds. That is purely something you made up to levy a bit of a personal attack.

Agreed, although I think his talents were a bit wasted on all the grimacing/squinting. I liked how he played the morally superior, ultra uptight world-class attorney who was not as together as he thought he was.

Cranston may be the weakest of the bunch, but his career sure took off with Walt in a way the others will not be able to.

3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I wasn't referring to your dislike of the buzzing & lighting. I was referring to your claim that the handling of Chuck's condition wasn't "thought through".

Unless you actually were personally consulted, there is no way you could know that unless you were reading minds. And your statement certainly wasn't something I "made up"

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think it's great that all three were allowed to take on dramatic roles and demonstrate versatility rather than get trapped by typecasting. I guess that doesn't apply to Odenkirk so much because he, I think, was only well-known by semi-hardcore comedy fans like myself through Mr. Show. But I'm sure many here know that the producers of Breaking Bad didn't want Cranston due to Malcolm In The Middle, but Gilligan insisted.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

No, in fact you were referring to my dislike of the buzzing and lighting, as that has consistently been my only complaint of how Chuck's condition was portrayed. It amounts to a cliche.

There is a very simple way I could know the show opted for the cliche: that's how it was broadcast. No consultation involved. Maybe you didn't intend to make up the bit about reading minds, but you did. Chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

6. Gems-A-Bems

No, in fact,I was referring to your supposed ability to determine if someone else has "thought something through". Way to show you don't have a habit of trying to read people's minds.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Agreed. If there's one thing this show cannot be accused of it's not being 'thought through".

Tim S and wavethatflag like this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I specifically said the buzzing and lighting postproduction. This never extended to Chuck's condition overall let alone the show overall. Nice try, though.

9. Gems-A-Bems

You specifically said it wasn't thought through. More specifically, you said "it should have been thought through" but "that didn't happen". I'll quote you again:

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

You'll knew? ;)

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Or in this thread's case, a "repeat ad infinitum" button.

13. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

You all? Typically y'all but I suppose it could be you'll. "You all will" could be y'all'll or you'll'll.

rburly likes this.
  14. misterjones

Instead of talking about how grossly inept the show was last season we should talk about how grossly inept it will be next year. Seriously, maybe some thoughts about what the characters might do next year are in order.

15. Case. In. Point. Haha.
    [​IMG]

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

We could also talk about how none of the actors or directors of the show deserved Emmy nominations.

17. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I'd like to see a Threefold Repetition rule like in chess – if an identical position has been stated at least three times during the course of the thread by the same member, the discussion is considered ended.

jriems likes this.
  18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

You forgot the "/s" at the end there. Odenkirk will win!

19. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    RoyalScam likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And it's now official that brother Chuck McGill is really most sincerely dead, as stated on an Awardsline Emmy panel discussion Monday night in LA:

[​IMG]

Gould echoed what he told Deadline at the end of the season: Jimmy McGill’s eccentric attorney brother Chuck (Michael McKean) is dead, having perished in a fire he started at his house in the last episode of season 3.

“We try not to screw around with the audience where ‘you thought it was this, but it’s now that’,” said Gould, “To build up the way we did and not have consequences, it would be a wet cracker.”

No word yet on the fate of Kim and the other characters, but stay tuned.

‘Better Call Saul’: Bob Odenkirk, Peter Gould & Gordon Smith Share Updates & Hopes For Season 4 & Beyond

rburly and Lownote30 like this.
  21. misterjones

I predict limited appearances in flashbacks.

Vidiot, Spaghettiows and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  22. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

10 episodes a year is too short. They are getting crazy with the these series and they are given enough time to really explore the characters as much as they should. This series should be at least 8 and 8 per year. AMC really trying to get away with as little as possible.

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't think this is AMC's call. The Saul team negotiates each season with AMC, and I have to assume part of that negotiation is how many shows will be provided to AMC and at what dates. I do agree with you that there should be more episodes.

24. misterjones

I wonder if the shortened season gives the actors more freedom to do other stuff (and therefore not feel the need to bag out on the series). I'd love 16 shows, but I wouldn't want the show to effectively end or be diminished because of casting or other issues attendant to a longer season.

George P likes this.
  25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Same here. We all want more shows, but if this is how long they need to create them, then that's just the way it is.

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.