The Beatles - Capitol Albums Vol 1 & 2 v The US albums box sets.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 14, 2017.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I noticed those differences on Ebay over the years. Probably some of the Volume 2 boxes are the early pressings with wrong mono mixes (fold-down ones) and are 'very rare' today?

Dan The Man1 and mooseman like this.
  2. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The Japanese version of Volume 2 has a reproduction of the gatefold cover of the U.S. Help! album. This is what makes it so costly and such a collectors item. Other than that difference, there's really no reason to buy the Japanese versions of the Capitol albums.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I got lucky a few years back and nabbed both sets for like $50 each. I've noticed the prices are out of control now. Between EBay, Discogs and Amazon I'm sure you could nab a deal with some patience.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

My guess is that Japan simply pressed too many of the Volume 1 sets, plus there really wasn't a huge difference between it and the US pressing. I bought mine new from Amazon for $11 back in 2013!
    The Japanese Volume 2 set was much nicer and just maybe they didn't press up as many?

dewey02, DK Pete and Dinstun like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Buy the real thing for the first 8, then buy Yesterday & Today from the latter set for the only distinct mixes you do not already have. And then needle drop the vinyl and put it in the Y&T case.

6. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I didn't even know about this. How do we tell if we have the first run mono fold down?

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The mono "I'm Looking Through You" will have the false start. The correct mono version doesn't.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know...much as I'm a stritctler for good packaging, I can't see spending over 200 bucks for it; my original U.S. boxes are pretty much in mint condition so they'll do. But $11...wow!!

DRM likes this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I have the US Albums Box Set, The 09 Stereo box, and the Mono box set. I used to have the Capital Years Vol. 1 and 2, but I traded them in. Now you guys are making me want to pick them up again, even though I'm sure they sound like crap. Weren't these mastered from second gen tapes?

bherbert likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

When I went on an unfortunate music spending spree in 2014, I bought ANOTHER copy of Volume I and Volume II. And still haven't opened them.

I remember when a Japanese version wasn't that expensive via Amazon.

But it might have been Volume I.

This was over a year or two ago.

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

matt0505 said:
    So I have a question in response to the arguments about whether or not what Apple/Paul/Ringo/Yoko/The Loch Ness Monster/etc have decided to do when it comes to "altering" these albums for this release.

It seems like the prevailing statement when it comes to why it's wrong to alter these albums is because it's different from what the original albums sounded like/how they were produced. Do I have that correct?

Because if that's the case, then aren't people trying to defend something that was inherently "wrong" in the first place? It's really no secret that The Beatles were not happy at all with what Capitol did to a large portion of their releases. And it's not like they were just changing the running order around, they were changing how The Beatles intended them to SOUND even. Isn't that, in the long run, a much much MUCH larger transgression than the band themselves going back 50 years later and saying that they didn't like what producers across the pond did to their creations, so now they're going to change them back?

I guess I ask this because so often on here I see discussions on the whole analog vs digital thing and that analog is the more "pure" sound, that in the end one of the reasons why people feel it is the superior medium is because it's a better representation of what the artist intended for you to hear.

Well.....The Beatles certainly did not intend for people to hear Meet The Beatles, or Something New, or Beatles '65, or all the rest, so how are those any better? I personally would MUCH rather hear the songs how the original band who composed them wanted them to sound as opposed to some people who clearly had doubt that what The Beatles were producing is how people "should" listen to them. This many years later I can have enough interest in listening to them in a different running order to have it be something I may purchase, but if you tell me that Dr Robert (or whatever else) sounds different on the US version than it does the UK version...I'm going to side with the UK version because it's how the creators intended it to be.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, lets get away from revisionist history.
    This MYTH that before 66 or 67 that the Lads were like some kind of board of directors telling EMI how 'they' wanted their product to sound is just that.....PURE MYTH. They had NO such power at that time. IF ANYTHING, Sir George Martin had a certain amount of clout but it stops there. Capitol did what was NECESSARY to make the Beatles music/sound marketable. Don't forget folks that if the dry versions of these albums came out, and especially without the singles on them, then they might have sold as well as VJ's 'Introducing The Beatles' which sold how many??? (Hand to ears here)...... how many??????? If the Beatles, in that time frame, and their 'unfudged with' sound aka/ VJ, didn't sell squat, then what the hell makes you revisionists think that a flat sounding 'With The Beatles' would have caught on???? Capitol DID what was NEEDED to excite the Teen market from 64 on. They did US and The Beatles a BIG kudo's by selling gazillions of records when 'UP UNTIL THE BEATLES, NOOOOOO OTHER BRITISH ACT SOLD SQUAT IN THE USA'.

Please stop the Revisionist stuff and view history accurately.
    the beave

The Beave, Jan 20, 2014 Report
    #689 Unlike
    You, Hawkman, dirwuf and 2 others like this.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

For some reason, I really like the sound of Capitol I and II.

I've often heard the second generation tape statement.

I need to learn more about this.

Was it really THAT big of a difference?

From the First Generation?

Also, the mastering and sound equipment Capitol had at the time...might have had its pluses.

All I know is when I heard the 2004 Capitol albums in stereo...via the CD's...compared to the mono 87 early Beatles U.K. albums...it was a revelation to me.

14. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Ok. I gotta have them, even though I have them on vinyl. The purple label being my favorite.

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

mooseman likes this.
  17. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

And Hey Jude

905 and DRM like this.
  18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It was in 2014 and it was the Volume 1 box.
    I also got one then for just under $10 brand new. Came in perfect shape. :righton:

DRM likes this.
  19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

After a while, I regretted not buying one.

But I already had two of the U.S. Volume I and II.

I saw it priced around 27 dollars...

20. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

A quick note about the Japanese pressings of these sets:

Volume 1, while it has slightly better mini album covers (compared to the US version), they aren't the typical "mini LP" sleeves that are popular here.

The discs are also copy controlled.

Those two negative aspects of the set turn Japanese collectors off, which means used copies are generally available for relatively cheap money.

Volume 2 has regular CDs (not copy controlled) and proper mini LP sleeves for the albums.

It commands higher prices than volume 1 because it's a much better presentation and is something collectors here want to have.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    FJFP, jsayers, Dinstun and 1 other person like this.
  21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Since I don't even listen to the mono versions on either Volume...I hope I am correct in saying that, even if the mono versions on this Long Box version of Volume II are STILL messed up...the price currently...certainly is better for the Long Box Volume II...vs. the Brick Volume II.

Especially if Stereo is your preferred way to hear the Beatles via Volume II.

1. Love Me Do (stereo)
    2. Twist And Shout (stereo)
    3. Anna (stereo)
    4. Chains (stereo)
    5. Boys (stereo)
    6. Ask Me Why (stereo)
    7. Please Please Me (stereo)
    8. P.S. I Love You (stereo)
    9. Baby It’s You (stereo)
    10. A Taste Of Honey (stereo)
    11. Do You Want To Know A Secret (stereo)
    12. Love Me Do (mono)
    13. Twist And Shout (mono)
    14. Anna (mono)
    15. Chains (mono)
    16. Boys (mono)
    17. Ask Me Why (mono)
    18. Please Please Me (mono)
    19. P.S. I Love You (mono)
    20. Baby It’s You (mono)
    21. A Taste Of Honey (mono)
    22. Do You Want To Know A Secret (mono)

Disc: 2
    1. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey (stereo)
    2. Eight Days A Week (stereo)
    3. You Like Me Too Much (stereo)
    4. Bad Boy (stereo)
    5. I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party (stereo)
    6. Words Of Love (stereo)
    7. What You’re Doing (stereo)
    8. Yes It Is (stereo)
    9. Dizzy Miss Lizzie (stereo)
    10. Tell Me What You See (stereo)
    11. Every Little Thing (stereo)
    12. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey (mono)
    13. Eight Days A Week (mono)
    14. You Like Me Too Much (mono)
    15. Bad Boy (mono)
    16. I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party (mono)
    17. Words Of Love (mono)
    18. What You’re Doing (mono)
    19. Yes It Is (mono)
    20. Dizzy Miss Lizzie (mono)
    21. Tell Me What You See (mono)
    22. Every Little Thing (mono)

Disc: 3
    1. Help! (stereo)
    2. The Night Before (stereo)
    3. From Me To You Fantasy (Instrumental - stereo)
    4. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (stereo)
    5. I Need You (stereo)
    6. In The Tyrol (Instrumental- stereo)
    7. Another Girl (stereo)
    8. Another Hard Day’s Night (Instrumental - stereo)
    9. Ticket To Ride (stereo)
    10. The Bitter End/You Can’t Do That (Instrumental - stereo)
    11. You’re Gonna Lose That Girl (stereo)
    12. The Chase (Instrumental - stereo)
    13. Help! (mono)
    14. The Night Before (mono)
    15. From Me To You Fantasy (Instrumental - mono)
    16. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (mono)
    17. I Need You (mono)
    18. In The Tyrol (Instrumental- mono)
    19. Another Girl (mono)
    20. Another Hard Day’s Night (Instrumental - mono)
    21. Ticket To Ride (mono)
    22. The Bitter End/You Can’t Do That (Instrumental - mono)
    23. You’re Gonna Lose That Girl (mono)
    24. The Chase (Instrumental - mono)

Disc: 4
    1. I’ve Just Seen A Face (stereo)
    2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown - stereo)
    3. You Won’t See Me (stereo)
    4. Think For Yourself (stereo)
    5. The Word (stereo)
    6. Michelle (stereo)
    7. It’s Only Love (stereo)
    8. Girl (stereo)
    9. I’m Looking Through You (stereo)
    10. In My Life (stereo)
    11. Wait (stereo)
    12. Run For Your Life (stereo)
    13. I'’ve Just Seen A Face (mono)
    14. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown - mono)
    15. You Won’t See Me (mono)
    16. Think For Yourself (mono)
    17. The Word (mono)
    18. Michelle (mono)
    19. It’s Only Love (mono)
    20. Girl (mono)
    21. I’m Looking Through You (mono)
    22. In My Life (mono)
    23. Wait (mono)
    24. Run For Your Life (mono)

Product details
    • Audio CD (April 11, 2006)
    • Ltd Rmst Long ed. edition
    • Number of Discs: 4
    • Format: Box set, Limited Edition, Original recording remastered
    • -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • I guess I was wrong when I posted that these Capitol Albums Volume I and II are the "original" versions.
    Since they are listed as "Original recording remastered".

I think I like Volume I more than II.

But both are excellent.

"Product Description
    Long Box Version. This box set contains stereo and mono versions of the four Beatles albums released by Capitol in 1965, namely "The Early Beatles", "Beatles VI", "Help!" and the American version of "Rubber Soul". The albums were mastered from the original Capitol tapes using 24-bit digital technology. The packaging is similar to that of "Vol. 1" and the set contains a 56-page booklet. EMI.

Amazon.com
    Unless your name is Ryan Adams, you're probably not in the habit of releasing four albums in four years, let alone the same number in one. But that's exactly what the Beatles did in 1965, thanks to Capitol Records' practice of mixing and matching tracks from their U.K. releases to create new, shorter records for the American market. Because standard-issue Beatles discs follow the British discography, The Capitol Albums, Vol. 2 marks the first CD appearance of The Early Beatles (March), Beatles VI (June), the Help! soundtrack (August), and the U.S. version of Rubber Soul (December), which are presented in both mono and stereo. And since the Brits' Please Please Me and Beatles for Sale are available only in mono, that means a lot of tracks are making their stereo CD debut here, including "Please Please Me," "Twist and Shout," "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey," "What You're Doing," and "Every Little Thing." This is also the first CD appearance of Ken Thorne's incidental music from Help! (James Bond intro, anyone?), as well as of the original wide-separation stereo mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul (not the 1987 George Martin digital remixes that appear on the British discs). All told, a full 82 of this set's 92 tracks have never before been available on CD. It's not quite the sonic revelation that was Vol. 1 (that box contained 32 stereo CD debuts, this one only 14), but it's a great listen nevertheless. Also included is a colorful, 60-page booklet featuring rare photos and liner notes by Beatles historian Bruce Spizer. --Benjamin Lukoff"

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Over 1.3 million copies.

Introducing... The Beatles - Wikipedia

1.3 million albums, and #2 for nine weeks.

See above.

23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

There was a thread about the box. Truth be told, the only REAL U.S. mixes from that box would fit on ONE disc!

24. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Nothing really significantly unique other than the reversed channels on Paperback Writer?

25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It was a unique title that's all.