Yes - Going For The One and Tormato. Yes experts what say you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

In the cavalcade of disappointing prog albums of 1978, Tormato beats Love Beach, but loses to ...And Then There Were Three...

stax o' wax likes this.
  2. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident Thread Starter

:cool: Love Beach.......I knew at some point someone would go there.....
    Tormato certainly can't be lumped in with Love Beach can it?

3. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

'And Then They Were Tripe' surely deserves that honour!!! Played it just the other day and had forgotten how terrible it was, Genesis fans must have thought WTF when they first heard it!

4. stax o' wax

I think 1978 was a strong year.

Heavy Horses
    Hemispheres.
    UK
    Of Queues and cures
    Peter Gabriel II

Terrapin Station and SonicBob like this.
  5. tonewheeltom

As a teenage fan getting into both bands in the late 80s, both were OOP on vinyl and not released in the US on CD. I hunted them down eventually at the same used record store after reading about their reputations in one of those encyclopedic paperback record guides. To me, they're inextricably linked. I did love Tormato in spite of its flaws, and ponied up for the Japanese import CD as a broke student.

6. tonewheeltom

I like those a lot and now greatly appreciate ATTWT.

7. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Didn't they do Venus and Mars as well?

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Why not? I thought that was coming up next in the series. It's fairly analogous, though Tormato is a better album (not saying much).
    I have the Rhino disc with the bonus tracks now and no longer have vinyl capability. I had the cut out back in the 80s. I was born in 1970, so I wasn't really there in real time for Classic Yes, but I was definitely into them by the time that 90125 came out.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  9. stax o' wax

I should go listen to And The There Were Three.
    I haven't listened to that album in 10-15 years.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was about to say that that one and Wind & Wuthering would be rather comparable to Tormato and Going For The One too.

11. stax o' wax

I bought Genesis - A Trick of The Tail around the same time as GFTO so those two albums have always been heavily associated with each other in my world.
    (Both being outstanding as well)

Tristero likes this.
  12. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Like both and in particular Going For The One ... but any album containing a stone cold classic like "Awaken" is going to be hard to top.

Tormato continues to improve with age for me and has some really strong material on it. I like the 192/24 high resolution version but realised I don't have the original CD release, just the expanded remaster.

Long time since I listened to it on vinyl though.

stax o' wax likes this.
  13. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I remember Anderson saying Awaken was the ultimate Yes song. Saw Yes in late 90s and never really got Awaken but on this occasion - in the Royal Albert Hall, it moved me to tears and still does. Going for the One so needs a Wilson remix.... album sounds thin (shame the masters are missing)
    Onward is an all time classic for me. I find that Andersons songs of seven a better album with stronger songs. A mix of these with the stronger songs off Tormato would have made for a great album....

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Going For The One is awesome
    Tormato is pretty cool but not near the same level imho

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Nonsense. I've always loved ATTWT. Its a fantastic album.

16. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I think the original japanese Atlantic CD sounds great too.
    I mean the mix of the album is weird, no doubt about it. I read that whoever did the final mix didn't know that some of the multi tracks were Dolby encoded and some weren't. But the mastering of the first CD is great. Not "thin" sounding at all.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:righton: Plus Solar Music Live.

no.nine likes this.
  18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

In my opinion, GFTO belongs up there with the wonderful sequence of albums from Yes album to Relayer. Was bummed out that we're not gettin the Wilson treatment. Tormato has great moments, songs are listed above. But! It is undeniably weaker than GFTO on all fronts. They were really waning in 1979-1980 musically as Paris sessions attest. New material was dreaful, and the only good pieces were remains of Tormato sessions. Some of those found release on Song of Seven while some on Drama, like Does it Really Happen.

izgoblin likes this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Classic Yes was my introduction to the band. When it came to buying GftO and Tormato for the first time, I did notice a dip in quality on the latter album, but Onward and Don't Kill the Whale will always be memorable to me. And I love GftO - Awaken, Turn of the Century and Wondrous Stories are brilliant! Also, when I saw Yes in Sydney for the first time in 2003, the songs they played off those albums (Awaken in particular) greatly increased my admiration for those songs.

I do hope those multi-tracks become available so Steven Wilson can give those albums the clarity and shine they richly deserve...

Frankh likes this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Thanks for answering.

Interesting, as I think of them as almost being a "double album that was released separately."

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Rainbow's Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
    Whitesnake's EP Snakebite followed by Trouble
    Judas Priest's Stained Class

They're not Prog but hey, why should that even matter?! :D

22. Terrapin Station

I thought ginchopolis was being sarcastic.

I love both the Going for the One and the Tormato covers. I love Hipgnosis' work in general. But I like the Roger Dean covers a lot, too. I also like the 90125 and Big Generator covers a lot. I think they made smart cover art decisions for most of their career. The changes reflected their musical changes.

The only Yes covers I don't really care for are the original (UK) Time and a Word cover (I just don't think the drawing is very good, I don't like that it's black and white, etc.), Talk and Open Your Eyes.

Normally I wouldn't like cover art like the first album or Close to the Edge, but I think the concept in both cases is fairly clever.

stax o' wax likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

I'd say it can, in the category of "ridiculously maligned albums that are excellent."

izgoblin and zen like this.
  24. Terrapin Station

"Awaken" is one of the only songs that has ever made me cry. On a couple different occasions, just the beauty/majesty of it has moved me to tears.

Frankh, Sadcafe and stax o' wax like this.
  25. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Not a fan of either of them. Going for the One was a step down (and a step backwards) from CTTE, Tales, and Relayer...and Tormato is more of the same. Both albums each have one song that I really like (Awaken and On the Silent Wings of Freedom).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.