An appreciation of "That Thing You Do!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Disagree completely.

I love 99.9% of the movie but that "thousand kisses" line is super cringe worthy. Nobody talks like that.

The whole movie's dialogue has a natural tone to it. That "thousand kisses" line sounds like what a writer who's trying too hard to sound artistic would write. Possibly might be OK in a Harlequin novel but the drastic change in tone with that line is jarring, to say the least.

Upsiditus, spanky1 and drivingfrog like this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Hmm. I really liked that line too. I don't think it's far fetched that she would say that. Now, using your line "no one talks like that" certainly validates your feelings about it because you're right. But, it's a movie. Most people don't talk like most actors in a movie, which is why they entertain us. You kinda have to suspend the reality of real life when you walk into a theater or based on what you said you would have to throw out three quarters of the dialogue in most films! I get what you're saying though. I think the way she says it does add realism because I think her character would absolutely say something like that. She is very charming in that film.

Exotiki, FVDnz, TeleStrat and 3 others like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Perhaps but again, her character never says anything flowery or poetic like that.

How would you find it if that line were uttered in an episode of 24? Or a Terminator movie? Sure a ridiculous example but the language style would be as jarring to me. I don't know... that line always really really bothered me.

On the flip side, a series of movies like Star Wars which loves to use flowery language throughout actually used the word "pregnant" in the prequels which was equally jarring... but those were terrible movies which makes it less irritating because I'll never watch them again. LOL!

Aside from that, great movie!

Jrr likes this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

But she WAS living her romantic fantasy. I think it IS the way she saw it, and how she would write in her diary. But she was strong and stood up to him without breaking down.

Chris DeVoe, Jrr and Gumboo like this.
  5. Even though the title track is too slickly produced to be a '60s release.

6. Agree 100%. It's the only bit of movie that particularly struck me as false. Aside from the '90s production on the music, that is. :)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Particularly the drums, which are very loud in the mix and have a good deal of digital reverb on them - it's good sounding reverb, but it's obviously not a chamber or a plate. The rest of the song isn't so slick - it's just way clearer and more balanced than you would have heard at the time. Always comical to me that this great recording somehow was done live to a 2 track in a local church :p

8. Well of course what else would one expect? They had to try and sell that soundtrack. The song and feel of the material feels close enough to period correct to make it shine.

Exotiki, geo50000, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  9. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

SHOULDA DUMPED YOU IN PITTSBURGH!

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

But "Dance With Me Tonight" (the best song in the film) could easily have been a real
    recording in the 60's, and probably would have gone to Number 1.

Charlie Z. likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I totally get your point. I just think the film did such a good job conveying her love and devotion to Jimmy that I believed her heartfelt comment. I agree with you that no one would actually think of such a poetic flowery line in such a spontaneous moment, especially given she would have been in such an emotional wreck and shock. But not much about that movie would actually happen! Which was my point I suppose. You really have to check your brain at the door for so many movies and just go on with the ride. But I love the film anyway, as you did, and I wish Tom had seen it do better.

I did discover that the long version didn't play well on a second viewing. I think I noted many threads back how well I thought it worked. It still would be the way to watch it the first time, but it is very redundant the second and you can understand why it was cut. Still, great to have a choice on dvd.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Why *DIDN'T* you dump her in Pittsburgh?!?!

Upsiditus and drivingfrog like this.
  13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Take off those stupid sunglasses.

14. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I think I have the soundtrack. Now I have to see this movie again. Besides, it contains Supermarionation.

15. MarkTheShark

They're marionettes. That's what they are.

Upsiditus, Chip TRG and drivingfrog like this.
  16. I don't think it was his idea, but said drummer also served to jack up the tempo of an early hit from a plodding ballad to a barnstorming pop rocker.

17. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

I enjoyed the movie and have it on DVD.
    I've always liked movies about bands or solo artists trying to make it in the music industry even if the bands are not real.
    I like seeing the early days when they are struggling and then seeing what happens after they get signed.

18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Love this movie. A very charming film.

Steve Zahn is the comedic star of it, but they really did a good job of casting everyone.

The scene where they hear their song for the first time on the radio is so great, as they capture how many would react when hearing a song of theirs on the radio for the first time. Such a fun movie.

19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I really have to see this movie again. Fingers crossed I can locate the Bluray in town but it might end up being an online purchase, methinks.

Think they should make a Wonders Reunion movie (with the same actors of course)... :D

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Shades=Ringo
    Tom Hanks=Brian Epstein

Upsiditus and Charlie Z. like this.
  21. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Jimmy=George, serious musician
    Lenny=Paul, the cute one
    Del Paxton=Chuck Berry, the inspiration
    Faye=Yoko!

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Faye...Yoko? Nah, Cynthia

Charlie Z. and musicfan37 like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

None of these comparisons actually work. Other than the gay angle revealed in the longer cut, Mr. White is nothing like Epstein. Other than being a drummer and being last to join, Shades doesn't resemble Ringo.

Lenny's not the best-looking guy in the band, and Faye doesn't lure away the creative inspiration.

George seems like an unlikely pick as the band's "serious musician" - I'd say Jimmy's talent and ambition makes him more like Paul.

While there are some Beatles allusions/connections in "TTYD" - such as the "sorry girls, he's engaged" banner under Jimmy on TV - these are largely very loose. The characters aren't connected in any meaningful way...

troggy and stereoptic like this.
  24. MarkTheShark

Jimmy = Nesmith

Upsiditus and Charlie Z. like this.
  25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Dell Paxton : "Ain't no way to keep a band together. Bands come and go. You got to keep on playin', no matter with who."

Quoting this just so I can bump this thread back up...:)