The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Winterland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

in my quest to make the perfect Hendrix Winterland (as much as possible) I have noticed some unnecessarly censoring of Jimi by EH, on the 11th October Red House, EH have censored Jimi's vocal 'Her Big Fat B?? Sister will' at 10:45:shake: , silly, I guess Janie thought it too 'close to home' and didn't like what Jimi was saying :(

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

One of the highlights of the Winterland performances! :D

Thumbing through the booklet again, it still annoys me that there isn't a single band photo! We only see Mitch once, and blurred in the background on another. Noel isn't pictured at all! Very unfair.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Huh? Mesa is hardly the poster child for reliability. Or tone. Or simplicity.

The Gomper likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

After discussion with Maidenpriest, we are confused about the date of the version of "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return" that is in the Sony Winterland box. It's on the last disc and is described as being the October 10th version (listed as such in Setting The Record Straight and in Electric Gypsy).
    I checked it against the version on my original vinyl copy of The Jimi Hendrix Concerts (which says it has the October 10th recording) and it matches. It also matches my old bootleg CDs that I got from a trade in the 90s - it's on disc 1: October 10th.
    However Maidenpriest says that he has the 11 October version on the official box set edition and it matches what is on the Winterland Reels ATM version!
    Those of you who have the various sources help us to get to the bottom of this?

Hep Alien and Maidenpriest like this.
  5. Off:
    Yeah, what did Santana know when Carlos [& later Keith Richards too!!] 1st endorsed Randell Smith's "Boogie" in '69.
    :rolleyes:
    Was posting that Jimi missed the "Boggie Revolution" [TM] by months.

What Bay Area amp should Hendrix have grabbed to play on the 'Winterland' stage in '68; that wouldn't have crashed & burned like the amps Jimi was blowing up at the time?

In your opinion of course!

6. Strat-Mangler

Marshall > Mesa any day.

7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I realize this is rather inauthentic, but I really like the Ryko CD and The Jimi Hendrix Concerts.

I may at least pick up the single CD Winterland too someday...

The Gomper, Old Rusty and rockerreds like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes but take it one step further. Compile the tracks into a playlist eliminating redundancy and make a 22 song set list ( or whatever).

Then TURN IT UP and play loudly! :agree:

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's a damn good JHE live album!

andrewskyDE and CybrKhatru like this.
  10. Off:
    Marshall amps are from the UK.
    Not a local, "Bay Area", amp;
    as stated in the post you "quoted":
    See?!?!

Jose Jones likes this.
  11. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Douglas version was first for me--still love it.
    But gotta go with the box set.

SOONERFAN and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Heresy perhaps, but I tend to stream any of the shows in their entirety.

13. Maidenpriest

Why ?

14. Maidenpriest

From checking the Winterland Reels the October 11th 1st Show of Voodoo Child is in on the EH boxset and the 10th October 1st Show is on the Douglas produced albums Concerts and Winterland+3 can other Hendrix fans please confirm to stop myself (and Purple Jim from going crazy trying to work out where it all fits in the Winterland timeline :( )

SOONERFAN and Hep Alien like this.
  15. j4yheindeo and tcbtcb like this.
  16. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Some more censorship I noticed - right before he starts the Voodoo Child intro on the Concerts release I can clearly hear him say "If I can remember the words.", on the new release it's not there.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Nope. You're quoting your own self. I never said anything about Bay Area amps. You did. Nice try, though.

Also, there's no need to put "Off" at the beginning of your replies.

18. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Don't have the boxset but Jimpress review of EH Winterland box says version of VCSR on disc 4 is from 10 October first show.
    Ben Franklin 3rd edition says VCSR from 11 October was released on Winterland +3.
    Note that Ben Franklin lists a time of 6:22 for the 10 October version.
    I assume that's for the AD vinyl.
    Jimpress review lists a time of 7:43 for the 10 October version on disc 4 of the EH box.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just remembered that I have Tony Brown's concert files and checked the October 10th notes. It mentions that Jimi says "...if I can remember the words" just before going into "VCSR", which matches what is on the EH box (though he his hardly audible saying it for some dumb reason!).
    Worth mentioning that the excellent single CD version "Winterland" also has this version (it is erroneously annotated as being the October 12th performance in the booklet!).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Don't forget that the superior version of "Spanish Castle Magic" was not included in the EH boxset, but used as a b-side on a cd single instead. I can't recall what the a-side was for the single, but this issue was discussed on a thread here at length.

21. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I bought the original CD when it was released 30 years ago and have always been extremely happy with it, from every angle, meaning the artistry of Hendrix's music on it and the technical quality of the CD.

905, Old Rusty, davers and 3 others like this.
  22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Rykodisc set and the bonus EP. I'm annoyed with amount of chatter and tuning left unedited on the box set.

23. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Like a Rolling Stone from 10/12 was the A side.

SOONERFAN, Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
  24. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Great site!

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It had only appeared previously on the Univibes CD "Calling Long Distance" (approved by Alan Douglas).

Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.