Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

This one came in the mail to me yesterday along with Imagined Savior and, so far, I'm finding the latter a bit easier to get my head around. I think I'll get there, but it's going to take a few listens.

2. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Picked this one up today for cheap. I have a couple of Byron albums and like them okay, but I grabbed this one mainly for Moran and Jack D. It's full of adventurous playing, but I think it suffers from the lack of a bass player on about half the tracks.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Decades later this one still sends me.

4. moops

moops Senior Member

Just thought someone may be interested, as the albums in question aren't otherwise available cheaply on CD.... and who knows if ever they will be again. Audio quality is fine for the financial outlay.

Six String likes this.
  5. moops

moops Senior Member

Just thought some may be interested. I'm sure my post hasn't damaged anyone's moral fibre too much.

David Ellis and dzhason like this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP paul Desmond - Skylark (CTI) orig. lp
    Interesting group for Desmond and hough it was typical f CTI at the time. Bob James on el. piano, Ron Carter, Jack DeJohnette and George Bertoncini are the core band with Gabor Szabo as the secret sauce. It's never been my favorite Desmond album as I prefer acoustic piano with his music though James does a solid job as expected. It just seems out f place with Desmond.

rxcory likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You want to see this book in the hardcover large format, world atlas size edition. Out of print. One of the best jazz biographies ever with a detailed discography

[​IMG]

rxcory, vanhooserd and Six String like this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yep, I have owned it for many years.

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well I can breath again , finally have the new TT up and running ...[​IMG]
    And spinnin this
    [​IMG]
    And drinking this
    [​IMG]
    And feeling like this . :agree:

rxcory, garrincha, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I am really loving this lp that just arrived.
    One of you put me on to it a a week or so ago and I just love it.

It reminds me oddly of another duet from the late 70s that I love - ornette colman Charlie Haden duet called soapsuds

Though soapsuds is with bass and this lp is with drums the duet format leaves so much air around the 2 instruments allowing for infinite
    creative freedom.

One of you lot was seeking (I think) drumless trio records recently for a similar reason but the duet format seems much rarer. Perhaps the most rare of any jazz format from solo to quintet?
    [​IMG]
    Of course I am not including vocals in this category.
    And I am sure I will be assailed with great instrumental jazz duet lps now. (And I will be all the richer for it. )

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Dylan cover looks too clean to be 50 years old. Is that from the mono box? Some years ago, I came across a shop that had sealed copies of original pressings for $10 of four Dylan LPs

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes and I think the odds of repeating that occurrence are nil today. I'm guessing you scored them during his late 70s "saved" period
    Which doesn't diminish the quality of that score...

That box is my favourite box for a lot of reasons
    All of which are too obvious to go into

13. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Look what came in this evening's mail...I know what I'm listening to with tomorrow morning's coffee! Been waiting for this one.

rxcory, David Ellis and Erik B. like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just returned from a local performance of what I call creative instrumental music although it is still jazz. Tge opening set was a duo of drums and reeds. The reed player used alto sax, clarinet, bass clarinet and the drummer is one of those he most original sounding drummers in a while. I don't mean he's 100% original but his approach to the kit and keeping time is another thing. They both play with a lot of energy and they are a joy to watch. The drummer plays in more of a pulse that varies in time and intensity as the music progresses. He's amazing to watch. Duos and trios take good musicianship to pull off. So it's great to hear two good ones in one night, ten minutes from my house and only $10. Edit: nate hubbard and kris tiner were rhe drums and trumpet playing with Lisa Mezzacappa. Randy McKean and Jon Bafos are the reeds/drum duo. Fun night of music.

NP Paul Desmond (Artist House)
    With his Canadian trio. Someone me tioned Soapsuds which is a Artist House release as well I believe. Yes?

I never ticed that she he nside of the gatefold of the Desmond lp is the photo used on the dust cover of the bio Tribute posted.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    rxcory, Stu02 and Lonson like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was in the early 90s, when no one wanted to touch vinyl, and when Dylan was not the darling of the critics.

Crispy Rob and Stu02 like this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Six String, post: 16827859, member: 4448

NP Paul Desmond (Artist House)
    With his Canadian trio. Someone me tioned Soapsuds which is a Artist House release as well I believe. Yes?
    .[/QUOTE]

Yes it's an Artists House release though I am unfamiliar with this label.

17. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Sitting in a tent in the rain. Listening to this...
    [​IMG]
    On my iPod whilst re-reading Ian Carr's biography of Miles on my kindle. The joys of modern technology.

18. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Thumbs up on the new Charles Lloyd! Great way to start the morning.

avanti1960 likes this.
  19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tito PuenteRoyal T (Concord Records)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    Tito Puente - timbales, timbalitos, marimba, percussion; Johnny Rodriguez - bongos, percussion; Jose Rodriguez - bongos, percussion; Piro Rodrigues - trumpet, flugelhorn; Tony Lujan - trumpet, flugelhorn; Mario Rivera - piccolo, flute, soprano and tenor saxes; Bobby Porcelli - alto and baritone saxes; Sam Burtis - trombone; Arturo Velasco - trombone; Sonny Bravo - piano; Bobby Rodriguez - bass; Rebeca Mauleon - synthesizer.

Tunes by Puente, Mauleon, Charlie Parker, Horace Silver, Charles Mingus, Goodman, Eddy Martinez & Louis Ramirez.

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Stu02 likes this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Miles himself might say "Listen to the rain", though I do know that rain on a tent roof can get pretty loud.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Artist's House was a short lived, deluxe label. Everything on it is excellent

lschwart, Walter H and Stu02 like this.
  25. The CD in the photo looks totally legit. What you end up getting from the seller is another matter, but those CD's go for about ¥900-¥1000 used in NM condition. I bought quite a few in that series when they were released, a lot of them Jackie Mac.

alamo54us likes this.