Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The RP10 PSU has an adjustment pot on the back of the unit, so I expect the arrangement on the Planar 6 PSU to be similar. The semi matte finishes are excellent for durability and maintenance. It's really the best in the long run, IME. The high gloss looks a little more bling but it shows every spec of dust and can be scratched when wiped or rubbed against.
    -Bill

chacha and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Of course.
    -Bill

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It should be available in red at some point and probably white as well. Black sells fastest and there being more orders for it, will probably be alone in the first group to hit the shore.
    -Bill

4. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

This table looks fantastic. This very well could be my next turntable.

Rickchick and resonated like this.
  5. Too bad you had issues. The RP6 is a great table. But **** happens on occasion

6. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah, it's no big deal. Got a MMF 7.3 instead. Music Direct were easy to deal with.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

I'm just curious Bill, is that something RP10 users actually adjust? I see in the RP10 manual the group of adjustments on the back are labeled as "Factory set adjustments" with the warning "DO NOT ADJUST".

8. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I don't understand these acrylic players. Then they just throw a cheap felt DJ mat on the top. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like the lp wont be secured verywell. Plus the motor is next to the bearing. Why?? Seems like seasoned tt builder should know better.

9. The LP actually clings to the felt which is good. I tried something else for a second and went right back to the felt.

Eigenvector likes this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Looks nice. It's interesting that the lower end of the line will have a gloss finish, and I'm presuming the higher end will now have a matte finish. They did seem to address a lot of the issues I had with my RP6...even though it still sounded good.

Gavinyl likes this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I must have tried 5 or 6 different mattes, Leather, Herbies, cork, etc.....the felt sounded better than all of them.

dianos, Gavinyl, chacha and 2 others like this.
  12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The plinth is made out of foam, then covered with the outer material. It's mass is very light as to not pass vibrations to the very rigid bearing well. Different from the high mass designs, but works. The more $$$ you spend on a Rega, the lighter the plinth, and the more rigid the bearing and tonearm mounting.

PhxJohn likes this.
  13. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

According to Rega's twitter account, the table will only be made in black.

14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Speaking of colors, I asked Rega on twitter if they plan on coming out with more colors. Their response "Only in the matt grey finish with gloss black edges." ==> Rega Research Ltd. on Twitter

15. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Any idea on when we can see this bad boy on US shelves??

16. I'd bet keeping one color levels out costs. And easier for retailers.

kenbefound and btf1980 like this.
  17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, if that's all they are making, then that's the answer that you get. The RP6 and RP3 began life that way also IIRC. When they made ready some in red and white, they announced it as being an option. Years ago, there were like 6 color options for the P3, which was too much. Nice to have options but they were never in stock anywhere. The only colors that we ever sold any number of were Black, Red, and White. I think one Yellow and one Green maybe. So black will always be first as it sells something like 95% of the color options.
    -Bill

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There is no acrylic in it. The platter is heavy glass. Having the motor behind the bearing keeps the belt short and the motor farthest from the cartridge. As others have indicated, the felt sounds best to most users. Rega has been refining the design for 40 years, so they know a thing or two about what works best.
    -Bill

Gavinyl, chacha, SandAndGlass and 3 others like this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Gorgeous...still loving my new RP6 but that does look nice!

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Within a month, I'd say. UK gets theirs a few weeks earlier.
    -Bill

21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It is pre-adjusted at the factory and so they don't want people to recalibrate it. The fact that it can be done does have advantages though. You can have a dealer check it and adjust it or they may provide instructions to do so, but the est advice is always, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." No idea if they have just abandoned that bit of sage advice and made it easy for anyone to adjust or misadjust. Either way, it won't please everyone. Some people just need a reason not to want something.
    -Bill

AmericanHIFI, Mazzy and Davey like this.
  22. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

From a current Rega owner, the reason not to want this would be the new MoFi Ultradeck.

23. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Damn. I LOVE my yellow RP6. Not to everyone's taste admittedly, but where I live it's perennially grey, people drive predominately grey cars etc - a bit of colour does me the world of good...

Anyways, I digress...What I'm hoping for is the sub-platter to be available separately, I might even go for the new speedbox. I'm fairly content otherwise, but fair play to Rega nevertheless, looks like another competitive addition to their line.

chacha likes this.
  24. Kostona

Kostona Well-Known Member

Spoke to Oranges & Lemons (London Dealer) they say mid august release, but according to Moorgate Acoustics early august.

Anyway put myself on pre-order list, looking forward to it!

25. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Here's also hoping that the speedbox now has sufficient ballast that a proximate fart wouldn't send it awry. Bending over to change records can be a dangerous activity...

Benzion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.