In other news, Arcam have effectively be bought by Samsung

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scobb, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident Thread Starter

This could have had huge potential in that Arcam could get much cheaper licences and hardware etc but..... even though the take over is through the Harman International side of Samsung I can't see anything good coming of this other than cheaper, more disposable and lower quality products. Hope I'm wrong.

Harman International Acquires Arcam | StereoNET

Maybe it's inevitable in our throw away society that quality independent brands find it hard to compete?

McLover, Randoms and juno6000 like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Very sad news, as many of the better middle ground makes are getting swallowed up.

ls35a likes this.
  3. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Why is this sad news? Harman is a strong brand, with some top companies. So far Samsung has allowed the hifi companies do its thing. Arcam can only benefit from has a strong financial base with which to continue to do its thing

Rolltide, BayouTiger and Brother_Rael like this.
  4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Sad news indeed.

scobb likes this.
  5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Why? Because from being a quality middle-of-the-line independent manufacturer it will now become yet another "brand" in a "stable" of other brands owned by a larger corporation.

Should I remind you the fate of Fisher and H.H. Scott? What about Sansui, Akai, Nakamichi? Adcom? And countless others?

6. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Time will tell. Fisher was a different time, bought out by a company on a lower rung. I don't think Samsung intends to dilute Mark Levinson or Revel, and I would be surprised in Arcam us diluted

dchang81, Brother_Rael and hi_watt like this.
  7. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Perhaps the only way the brand can continue and survive is to get financial support from Samy? Everyone cries boohoo another independent swallowed. From what little is available as to information, the only way their employees were to keep their jobs was if either sales increased (not likely) or the company was bought. If they can not sell enough of their product to stay viable then they should close their doors unless one of you deep pocket audiophiles might want to own them as a personal thing. If they do go out, then they will become another vintage brand for those who live in the past to drool over. And we can never have enough vintage gear.

Shawn and Rolltide like this.
  8. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Because to a lot of people big companies are bad and small are good.

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Who's kidding who?

At some point, some oily overpaid attorney/accountant/consultant will spell it out for some oily overpaid executive:

"You want that next vacation home in southern France, so you can have an even dozen, right? Then make those dopey audio gadgets cheaper than the previous no-vacation-home losers did. Hike the prices, spin the marketing, pay off the reviewers. The rubes won't know the difference. It's just music."

Daily Nightly and Gumboo like this.
  10. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Hope this is good news for Arcam, who have been around since 1976.

In the twelve years I sold the products, A&R Cambridge, then Arcam, produced great sounding products, that proved to be extremely reliable. From a fairly conservative start, their range expanded with some truly innovative products.

I also worked for them, and in that time, they were very proud of the fact, that they had never made anyone redundant.

4xoddic, Yost, sennj and 4 others like this.
  11. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

It's not easy to differentiate your products and getting headlines requires a marketing budget with deeper pockets than what small to medium companies can afford. I just hope they will fare more like Marantz and less like Denon.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It's sad because eventually Samsung will most likely cheapen things and not support the older products. Harman's ruined enough stuff without Samsung's help. many a fine make. I don't see this trend reversing itself anytime soon.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I've admired the brand since they started, and own an Alpha 9 and Alpha 10. Arcam consistently get good reviews and don't make too many missteps. Arcam have been very competitive in the UK, not so competitive in other countries due to import and distributions costs. It's possible the acquisition can improve things; but I doubt it. I think in 5 years the brand will no longer exist. And that is sad.

Yost likes this.
  14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Whoops, the main part of my system has just turned vintage. :sigh:

Randoms likes this.
  15. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I have mixed feelings about this news. I'm a big fan of their stereo products, owning a FMJ CD37, an Alpha 10 and an Alpha 10P. I'm also still using a Delta 60 in my hobby room and have an Alpha 9 CD player boxed in my attic. All great products for their price.

I hope this helps them to stay alive. I also hope they can continue their own way of designing and building gear.

16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Now maybe we'll get a good DAC with embedded 5G-wireless :)

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Remember that time when you favorite audio company was bought by a Japanese car stereo manufacturer? It's sad we never had a good McIntosh product ever, ever again.

dchang81 likes this.
  18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Nobody ever bought a vacation home by buying a brand few people outside of a niche have even heard of and making it worse.

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's a list of companies that went out of business and had their brand names scavenged after the fact.

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Because a lot of big companies ARE BAD and a lot of small companies ARE GOOD.

21. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I thought you were talking about Luxman. Alpine very nearly destroyed them.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  22. Landon Morris

Landon Morris New Member

I don't quite agree with that. Yes, licences may be cheaper but low grade parts? Arcam is a strong brand and stand behind what they engineer. Harman may be a part of the family now, but Arcam will continue to pull through.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Still waiting for aftermath of B&W sale to Silicon Valley startup.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There are executives and everyday employees at all sizes of business who are wonderful people with good intentions. There are also those who lose their way.

Successful small business sometimes become success medium sized business. A few become large. Others are scooped up by the competition. Most tiny businesses don't last long. For good reason. A few don't last long and it's a shame.

BD2665 likes this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Glad the edit function is available...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.