David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Adore fame, but that horrid cover of "Across The Universe" could be swapped with any of the Ryko bonus tracks from that area / tracks cut from The Gouster and Young Americans would have been dramatically improved.

oldturkey, Ken.e., pobbard and 2 others like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Technically he is falling but in fact he is jumping. Twice. And in drag. Like Bowie on "The Man Who Sold The World"s original UK sleeve.

It also reminds me of the sixteenth major card in Tarot: "The Tower". A metaphor for a radical ending/ new start. But I could be totally wrong here. But there are also Tarot cards on "The Man Who Sold The World":whistle:

johnnyyen likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Oh I have all 3 on vinyl from the time and various cd versions over the years. I am a very big fan of the Clash but I don't like much after London Calling. Ditto Blondie after Eat to the Beat. In fact the only Blondie I play these days are the first 2 albums. Dexy's I am not sure the whole thing (and I mean everything done by Kevin R) was not just a big put on. I feel able to be rude and dismissive of these bands because I was and am a fan and saw them all live many times. I do think they all enjoy an overly reverent view of their achievements.
    Back to Bowie I have enjoyed this thread. Played an old Scary Monsters cd today. I'd forgotten what a good song Teenage Wildlife was. With the benefit of hindsight I felt that Bowie was saying goodbye with this album.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Not being a Beatles/Lennon fan, this is probably the only way I'd listen to this song - and I like it as is. Although Bowie's best cover of a Lennon song is Working Class Hero in Tin Machine, imo.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I know this post was from ages back, but excellent covers.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What surprises me is how he's "undercut" some of the future box sales potential with recent vinyl reissues of Labyrinth and the Outside-Reality stuff.

7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Having met -and raised the ire of - Kevin (long uninteresting story), I can assure you he is 100% genuine in his intentions.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. I do like his covers album - the recordings not the actual cover!

9. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

There's a good possibility that the Bowie estate has no control over LABYRINTH, half of it is the score by Trevor Jones. Disney now owns the Jim Henson Company. The soundtrack was reissued by Capitol not Parlophone. Who does control the rights?

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Wasn't there a link earlier that discussed Labyrinth? I recall reading lately that they were having trouble putting it into the next box due to this very reason, and that they were toying with the idea of just including the Bowie tracks - for which they do have the rights...

EDIT: Nope, it was a post over and SDE from a guy named "Ern":

He did say that for box set 4, there might be a problem with the Labyrinth album as half of the soundtrack is not Bowie, so there might be a licencing issue to include it with the next box. They might do what they have done with Baal on this box set and have only the Bowie tracks from the Labyrinth soundtrack, maybe a vinyl with soundtrack only songs.

11. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I would quite like a Labyrinth EP on vinyl, I don't need another copy of the vinyl or CD.

12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as noted since your post, Labyrinth is probably not within the estate's control. as for the others, i think they are all part of the great money making machine in the wake of the vinyl revival and the surge of interest in Bowie post-The Next Day and then his death. i would guess that by the time that box is due (assuming the series continues, and there's no guarantee of that), all reissues will be out of print and thus ripe for further fleecing.

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Just watched a film about a film ... Nacho's biggest production so far: David Bowie is The Man Who Fell To Earth - 2017
    Great to watch as a bridge between the two box sets, enjoy!

Grissongs, oldturkey, Moon1 and 2 others like this.
  14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as you know most of that list consists of tracks made ineligible for the boxes based on the fuzzy remit of officially released albums and singles of the era, and not outtakes and later finds. of course this hasn't stopped them from including later reconfigurations of live albums, random remix albums and (with box three) a thrown together EP. so, from your list only Revolutionary Song (single version), and Cat People (extended version) can be considered "missing". to these i would add the 7" single version and US/German 7" promo edit of Cat People, and the Low sampler. i assume the master for the latter is long gone and piecing it together would require more effort than has been afforded other recreated edits to date. regardless, those five examples are all official RCA/MCA UK and/or US releases and do fall under the same category as other tracks previously featured and by omitting them highlight the sets' inconsistency. moreover, there's a unique Dutch edit of Cat People but a) it's lame, and thus b) would be overkill.

[​IMG]

i assume the Peter & The Wolf album is out of the estate's hands too, but IMO it's part of the discography and released on RCA to boot. for that reason it would have been "nice" to include the US promo edit in place of the missing LP side.

[​IMG]

that said, i'm sure the above suggestions fall into the "for the completist" category in the eyes of both Parlophone and their prospective audience, so this is not a call for their inclusion, just an "FYI" round up.

another thing your list suggests is that period tracks issued after the box set's timeframe will only be included if they are not tampered with after the event. for example the last box included the John, I'm Only Dancing (Again) single version, recorded for Young Americans but first released in 1979, while the Sound + Vision remix you list is not included in the next box despite being issued on 12" single in 1991. the reason presumably is that it was remixed in '91 and contains new production elements. whether such remixes (and there are several including the 2013 Sound + Vision "Xperia" version) will play any part in future boxes remains to be seen.

might have a lie down now, i've out-nerded myself.

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Just the physical product. By the time I could afford to buy it, it was "bargain" priced, black RCA label, cheap cardboard sleeve, etc. The underwhelming sound, I just wrote off as what you get under such circumstances.

marc with a c likes this.
  16. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Sorry for the following OT post but...

Got the box set today, pulled out the first disc from the Live Nassau set... the alphanumeric code reads ifpiL574 (not 575), and the etching says IFPI 9742 (so that matches). The matrix also says "manufactured by optimal media production" all in lower case and no "GmbH".

Then checked Station to Station... the alphanumeric code reads ifpiL573 (again, doesn't match), and the etching says IFPI 9742 (again, matches). This time the matrix says "manufactured by optimal media GmbH"

So the etchings match, but the codes are all over the place and the "manufactured by..." isn't consistent. Can you check mine against yours? Is this legit or should I initiate a return? Are the counterfeits digitally identical? Maybe you could send me a sample track and I could try cancelling out the same track here?

The disc faces are tan-ish, not sure I'd call them "gold", but definitely not "silver" either.

Edit: it appears on discogs that the above alphanumeric codes are alternate codes on some CDs from official boxes?

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Is there also anything in Bowie's or fans minds from the now legendary early, silent Hitchcock movie, The Lodger, I wonder ? From 1927, with its famous scene shot through a glass ceiling, seeing the serial killer upstairs in his digs. I can't recall if it's mentioned in any books or articles on DB.

[​IMG]

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

If, after you've removed your pinky from the disc hole, the inner rim doesn't feel smooth ... get a loupe to check if it has this inside rim description:

If you can read, stop looking for clues

19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I hadn't even noticed the single version of Cat People is not in the box :shrug:The promo edits I was not aware of but they can be added to the list IMO, along with the Dutch edit.
    I forgot about the S+V 2013 remix and the recent Art Decade [Live Perth '78]. These would also go on that list.

20. Phillip Walch

I ironically had the The Lodger in my hand as I read your post. Had just watched it this morning and it is sat with me at the computer as I am going to rip the Nitin Sawhney music score. I adore Hitchcock, so much so I have traveled by plane to see movies screened.

I have often likened many of Bowie's looks to Ivor Novello, also certain choices of performance and movement not only in film but on stage have caught my eye as being somewhat Novello like (Just A Gigolo?). The Lodger was for me a very important influence on Bowie. An excellent movie too, those who can get passed the age of such movies should really see them. I can't remember where now but I read in the 90s that Bowie was interested in Jack the Ripper. He made a comment about thinking that the Ripper was a socialite, someone who would be protected by the establishment. A theory now very much in fashion with some recent publications and evidence.

The scene you mention is among my all time favourite movie moments, I can't ever remember it being referenced in relation to Bowie but have read countless text of The Lodger being an influence over him which I agree with. I think the influence of Ivor Novello can't be understated.

Another of the time that I think Bowie will have been influenced by was Metropolis by Fritz Lang from 1927 also. I can't imagine Bowie not watching a German expressionist epic science-fiction drama.

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i did think of Art Decade after posting but i think it's a teaser for the next RSD live album, or at least it'll turn up on a live album at some point. i don't regard the anniversary singles as "real singles", they're more cash grab advertising for bigger releases.

oldturkey, e.s. and pobbard like this.
  22. Neonbeam

From Movieline Magazine, 1992:

"In the early 70s I started this collection of German Expressionist movies. I had everything Murnau, Pabst, Lang. I went crazy and lived in that world for about a year, it had a lot to do with what I was doing in rock. One of the harebrained schemes I had for a long time was to take Metropolis and put a soundtrack on it written by Brian Eno and me. So I was working with (Giorgio) Moroder on the music for Cat People. He says 'did you see Napoleon? I thought it was stunning, I could do something like that - put some music to an old movie' and he said, 'I've found the film! Nobody's ever heard of it. It's Metropolis, and I've bought the rights!’”

sunspot42 and Phillip Walch like this.
  23. Phillip Walch

I totally missed the connection, thank you. I did not care much for his restoration but admire his dedication. The 2010 restoration is stunning.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Gouster is the first time I have enjoyed listening to this YA material as an album. I've started to play it more frequently. JIODA is a great opener. I wish it had been a stand-alone LP.

Ken.e. likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Since it was brutally butchered in 1927 - to make it more "commercial appealing" - "Metropolis" always has been this "work in progress" thing which I find kinda cool. The 2010 Version has scenes I never would have dreamed I would ever see. Because they had been awol for 80 years.

At least the movie isn't lost.

pobbard and Phillip Walch like this.