Number one singles that have been (almost) completely forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Groovy Guru

The Groovy Guru New Member

Paul Hardcastle-"19", Murray Head-"One Night In Bangcock", Taco-"Puttin' On The Ritz", Wrexx N' Effex-"Rumpshaker", Milli Vanilli-"Girl You Know It's True", Cyndi Lauper-"Goonies R Good E Nuff", Desmond Dekker-"Israelites", Cliff Richard-"Devil Woman", etc. Even if all these didn't reach #1, they were in the top ten. Now they have vanished from the airwaves.

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Rats were new wave/pop. Rat Trap is a cool song but doesn't compare to the brilliant I Don't Like Mondays. Agree about Ghost Town,classic

Re. punk number ones - weren't The Jam considered punk? The best punk bands morphed into great new wave bands. Johnny of course went on to PIL.

Geno is pretty much forgotten, cool song. But Come On Eileen made the bigger splash world wide.

Randoms and bob60 like this.
  3. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Agree with all of this, and I'm trying to think if The Jam, would be termed Punk, a Mod revivalist band, or if by April 1977, Punk had already mellowed into New Wave. Bought both the single and album of, In The city, and whilst there was some angst in the lyrics, the style was very watered-down, so I'm not sure if The Jam, belong with 999, Pistols, The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers, etc.

Maybe the debut single / album does? Maybe Boomtown Rats, Looking After Number One, also does?

Heck, even Elvis Costello, was termed Punk, by some; I guess because of the Stiff, record label.

I think The Jam are probably as much Punk, as early, "Wouldn't you like to Rip Her To Shreds", era Blondie.

If anyone wants to call any of these artists, Punk, I certainly wouldn't argue, but equally wouldn't really put, All Around The World, Watching The Detectives, and Denis, together with New Rose, Anarchy, etc.

I've never really liked labelling bands, to me, good music, is good music, and I look back at all of this with great fondness.

New Rose, is still a great Rock song!!

P.S. In The City, is Punk! The suits, not.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    bob60 and AFOS like this.
  4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

Sorry had to make a quick return to this thread having previously been bullied off of it, i have been reading your contributions and finding them useful thoughtful contributions, but i do disagree with you in one thing, Punk changed EVERYTHING, and this is because i regard Punk & new wave as indivisible, new wave was just the more melodic punks, fellow travellers if you like, as such punk/new wave were imho the most important musical and cultural event since the Beatles, like the Beatles it was the catalyst for a change in music and fashion and culture and - imho - for the Better, 80's pop was a direct offshoot of Punk new wave as was Britpop and grunge imho, and of course much of grunge britpop & new wave paid direct homage to the Beatles and the music of the sixties that they spawned.

However I believe that this whole side topic about punk is technically a tread crap but interestingly only I was trolled for threadcrapping, maybe because my opinions so offended the troller and others did not ?

anyway thats it now, i'd like to have continued our discussions and i thought they were interesting and i believe conducted with mutual respect, i now withdraw again in anticipation of more bile from the usual suspects.

ps I agree with you in regard to your UK viewpoint which I share being different to a US viewpoint, also imho their singles charts were not as blighted in the early 70's with so much of the music I hate ( which we all know about ) so some USA contributors may need to appreciate that our desire for a new broom was probably far greater than theirs.

Randoms likes this.
  5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I heard "19", "Girl You Know It's True", and "Rumpshaker" last week on FM radio

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I picked up the CD too (for the song "Don't Say You Don't Remember" by Beverly Bremers), and a few others because it was the only place to get the songs for a while.

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

For "Seasons In The Sun," Jacks rewrote the last part of the song to lighten it. Here's the original version (performed by Rod McKuen, who wrote the English translation of the song):

Randoms likes this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Heard on FM last week

Heard on FM last night

Randoms likes this.
  9. Randoms

I guess the thread deviation was partly my fault, for answering the question about (the lack of) Punk number ones. With the talk of GSTQ, the Silver Jubilee, and the Pistols in 1977, I was aware that the thread had gone off at a tangent, and suggested some more records to try and get it back on track. But, it may be of interest, to some folks, as to why, the UK was different to the US, particularly mid '76 to mid '77. And, God Save The Queen, did get to number 1, in the NME charts! I certainly didn't intend the thread crap, and enjoyed the exchange with you.

My points of view, are my experiences and recollections from 40 years ago, so I don't expect everyone to agree with them, especially as my recollections may be wrong! What I like about this forum, is you have fellow music lovers, sharing their experiences, from all around the world, who can correct or collaborate, but put their own spin on this great era for music.

Some threads go off at a tangent, and this is encouraged, others, more rigid and I guess we have to gauge that, and keep with the spirit and vibe of the thread.

With that it mind, I offer up, The Flying Pickets, Only You, the UK Christmas number one, which allegedly should have been outsold by Slade, with, My Oh My, that week.

Apparently the demand was higher for Slade, but they couldn't press enough records, quickly enough. C'est la vie.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i had no problem with your deviation, as you say these happen in threads.

Randoms likes this.
  11. Randoms

Wow, thanks for posting, that is a pretty dark song. I knew that Terry Jacks' version was a cover, but never sought out the original.

Terry gets bonus points for the key change, and the way he sings Michelle, on the line, "goodbye, Michelle, my little one".

12. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The original is "Le Moribond" by Jacques Brel. Here is an approximate translation of the original:

Goodbye Emile I like you very much
    Goodbye Emile I like you very much you know
    We have sung about the same wine
    We have sung of the same women
    We have sung about the same miseries
    Goodbye Emile I am going to die
    It is hard to die in the springtime you know
    But I leave the flowers and peace in my soul
    And because I know you are as good as white bread
    I know that you will take care of my wife

Chorus:
    I want them to laugh, I want them to dance
    I want them to have fun like crazy people
    I want them to laugh I want them to dance
    To amuse themselves like crazy when they put me in the hole

Goodbye priest I like you very much
    Goodbye priest I like you very well you know
    We did not always agree about views and we were not on the same path
    But we were searching for the same port
    Goodbye priest I am going to die
    It is hard to die in the spring you know
    I leave the flowers and the beauty, peace in my soul
    And knowing that you are her confidant

Goodbye Antoine I did not like you very much
    Goodbye Antoine I did not like you very much you know
    And it’s killing me to die today knowing that you are still so alive
    And yet still as solid as boredom
    Goodbye Antoine I’m going to die
    It’s hard to die in the spring you know
    I leave the flowers and the beautiful peace in my soul
    And because I know that you were her lover

Chorus

Goodbye my wife I love you very much
    Goodbye my wife I love you very much you know
    I must take the train for the good God
    I’m taking the train that leaves before yours
    But we all must take the trains that we can
    Goodbye my wife I’m going to die
    It is hard to die in the springtime you know
    But I’m leaving flowers and my eyes are shut, my wife
    And because I realize that they were shut often
    I know that you will take care of my soul

Randoms likes this.
  13. Randoms

Ah, that makes sense, I've often thought about sampling some Jacques Brel. Thank you for posting.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nobody bullied you. You just looked for a platform to express how much you hate #1 singles.

15. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

If you were to expand this to top 10 pop hits you would find a massive cannon of tunes fickle radio forgot as if you were to look at a Billboard or Cashbox magazine from a week in the 70s or 80s you will be shocked at how little is still played. You are more likely to find a wide playlist of old hits on one of the handful of classic r&b, country or adult contemporary(MOR) stations in the country. If your lucky enough to live near the few areas that have these stations.

Randoms, bob60 and Grant like this.
  16. Randoms

Ray Stevens - The Streak

Both a UK and US, #1.

I guess streaking isn't as popular, as it was, back in 1974.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Randoms

@Bobby Morrow Defend Olivia's honour, noble Sir!

Bobby Morrow and duggan like this.
  18. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I also enjoyed Bridget the Midget, doesn't get much radio play these days.

Randoms likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You know, I've seen that clip many times and I think the pictures were actually all solely of Travolta.. So I can't say anything that.:)

However, Geldof has been very unpleasant about Olivia on a number of occasions, so he's clearly not a fan. I remember him giving a brutal review of one of her singles on the revamp of Juke Box Jury in 1979. Looking back, I suppose it was kind of funny, but I thought then, and still do now, that he's a c**t.:D

20. Bobby Morrow

A shame, as people tend to have better, gym-toned bodies now.:)

Randoms likes this.
  21. Randoms

Erica's may have sagged a bit by now. :ignore:

duggan and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

In 1983 I remember disliking the Flying Pickets single intensely. It was only recently been a hit for Yazoo and I recall thinking, "Why is this s**t number one at Christmas?". Of course, I thought that every year here!:D

Now, I don't mind the FP cover. It's quite sad and sweet. Age and time softens you.

Randoms likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think that was sarcasm. Melting pot by Blue Mink (written by Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway who come from Bristol UK) was supposed to promote racial harmony.

Roger Cook and Madeline Bell on vocals. I know it sort of backfires in the PC age!

Randoms likes this.
  24. Randoms

I bought the 12" of both, Only You, and My Oh My. Really thought Slade deserved a number 1 with it, and it again reminded me of what a great band they were.

Only You, I actually like both the Yazoo original, and the FP, cover. Can only begin to think how a Manhattan Transfer, or Darts, cover, would have sounded! :whistle:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Randoms

Maybe "Sir" Bob, was trying to out, John? :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.