Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I really like the new PSU.

2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Amen to that !

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Any reviews of the Ultradeck?

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Not that I've seen yet, but considering who designed it, I doubt a review would influence my decision. Just need to get motivated and sell my new hotrodded P3.

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Just another step toward the obsolescence of my current Rega kit.

PhxJohn likes this.
  6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I sold my back up table, a beautiful cherry Planar 25, in anticipation of grabbing the new Planar 6. I use a late generation P9 in my main system...

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  7. bjohnsen74

bjohnsen74 Forum Resident

I have a new P3, but I am not very knowledgeable about its upgrade possibilities. I have the factory fitted Elys2 on.

Could you mention some possible upgrades for my P3, not saying it will equal this new P6, but at least a step in the right direction, thanks!

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. I just checked the Rega Web site and there is no mention of this new deck; are we sure its actually released? No reviews either.

9. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Rega has said on Twitter that the website will soon be updated.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Why would there be reviews for a product that was just unveiled yesterday? Let's allow it to actually ship first...lol

11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Just keep it stock and enjoy it. Great table

Morbius and andybeau like this.
  12. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Check out Groovetracer - the subplatter is a must. Plus the new TTPSU.

MIA2RDU and PhxJohn like this.
  13. With the price of all that Groovetracer add-ons you could buy a ton of records! I agree--keep it stock and enjoy

andybeau likes this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I wish I could justify buying it. It's a thing of beauty! :edthumbs:

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The Groovetracer Reference subplatter is a great upgrade as is the TT-PSU.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

More likel
    Need to wait on the TT-PSU until the new one is released. Probably be awhile though, I'm sure Planar 6 production is going to suck them up for a few months. White belt is a nobrainer.

Twinsfan007 and PhxJohn like this.
  17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I have new stock P3 as well. A lot of folks have already mentioned the main upgrade possibilities. There will always be the contention that it's better to spend the money on a P6 than it is to upgrade the P3 (and this may be correct) but if you enjoy tinkering then upgrading can be fun and just part of the experience.

I would be looking at:

Groovetracer subplatter upgrade - this should match the quality of subplatter now included on the P6 and if you opt for the RP6 subplatter upgrade you can get the RP6 sandwich glass platter (I expect this will work on a P3 but it is best to check with GT before spending money as I have not tried it and I'm not aware of anyone that has). Assuming it works, you can get the platter with flywheel effect that also matches a feature the P6 has.

New TT-PSU - will also get you to the new P6 in this regard

The white belt seems like a good upgrade as well. I will also focus on trying various technique to properly isolate the table (placing on different platforms, sorbothane, inner tube, rollerblocks, Vibrapods, etc). I guess the question is how much better does the plinth make the P6? I'm sure it will be better but it's also $1,000 more (this is a lot and if you just upgrade to TT-PSU and subplatter you will still be under the cost of a P6).

I'm going to start with the TT-PSU first I think and then I'll upgrade as time and funds permit. I don't think you can go wrong either way really...both tables are a pleasure to use and sound great. I'm sure the P6 will sound better than an upgraded P3, but the beauty of the P3 is that the upgrades available are things that the P6 has, so they kind of turn the P4 into a P6 (well, in some ways at least - you'll probably end up with more of a P4 or P5).

18. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Since you're still running the Elys2 cart, I'd think upgrading to the Exact2 would be a pretty huge and positive upgrade, considerably more so than say the PSU upgrade, and for not much more $$.

That does seem to be the consensus amongst most all Planar 3 owners I've heard talk about it, anyway. Exact2 pretty much blows the Elys2 out of the water... their words, not mine.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    andybeau likes this.
  19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Depends on your finances, how far you want to go with record playback, and whether you want have just one turntable. The two biggest upgrades for the P3 are the groovetracer subplatter and the separate PSU power supply. Each one will bring a very noticeable audible improvement to the audio quality - clearer, tighter, lower noise floor (quieter background). The nice thing is that each can be done as finances permit, plus they're not that expensive. An upgraded P3 - especially if you get the Exact cartridge as well, compares very favorably to the P5 or P6, although those would edge it out 'a bit' if you compared them back to back in a listening test.

20. doh!!! I didnt realise that. :confused:

21. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Wonder how long it will take to get to Australia... ill be super keen to do a shootout with my P7... i am rapt that it has an upgraded subplatter

Comparison to P7 should reveal how much difference the plinth and bracing make considering arm is probably about the same and P7 has ceramic platter and double pulley with the a similar subplatter so if the P6 is better it will be down to the plinth, maybe main bearing improvement and possibly more accurate TTPSU (vibration reducing circuit improvements). My P7 runs bang on 33.3 so that wont be a consideration (with the new speed control on P6) and i could negate the TTPSU improvements (vibration control) by adding a motor isolation platform to the P7 which i am tempted to do. All remains to be seen and i hope the price doesnt get out of hand in Australia if its 1,000 pounds it will probably be $2,249 (RP6 was $1,999).

22. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Was about to purchase an RP6 when I discovered they had been discontinued. This is the first info I've been able to find on the Planar 6. I was hoping that the power supply would not be separate (never had a turntable with a separate one before, may have to do a little improvising to find some place to put it in my cramped setup. Member Dream On mentioned a suitable platform in a previous post which is something I've been thinking about. Is the Auralex ISO-Tone Turntable Isolation Platform any good? Auralex Acoustics | ISO-Tone™

kenbefound likes this.
  23. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I do
    I don't know how much the Auralex costs, but I use a 2.5" rock maple butcher block cutting board on acoustic isolation pads. It looks a lot nicer, if you are in a living space.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Who designed it?

25. It's better to have the power Supply separate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.