David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Yeahyeah ;)

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it was after the edit period was up and i thought i might remember something else... honest guv.

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. I love the 2010 restoration. I was so impressed by the work done. Regardless of my love for it as a movie it is so important that it is saved and thankfully it is available for all to see now.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I feel like you can characterize most singles from the past 60 years that way, though I do understand what you mean.

scobb likes this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I believe the "Fame" picture single is the only commercially available source for the alternate Rykodisc mix of "Right" mastered at the correct speed.

6. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

My problem with Lodger has never been the sound... it's the songs. Love DJ and Boys, but the rest are so low in my "must listen to some Bowie" stakes that I often forget the album altogether.

zaza_3121 likes this.
  7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

among a few other "exclusives" but considering the crappy audio quality, i'm sure they were done with future releases in mind. the Gem promo version of Eight Line Poem was first issued on the Changes RSD picture disc before reappearing on the $50 BowPromo. you'd be better off taking the Ryko file and adjusting the speed than living with a picture disc rip (i've ripped them all but some are so poor as to be worthless).

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Is this true of the live "Art Decade" b-side? I'm considering picking that "Be My Wife" disc up to tide me over until the new box arrives, and though I'm not really optimistic about the audio I should hope at least for listenable quality.

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's true of mine. some of the pic discs have sounded ok, but this one, Lady Stardust for the Japanese exhibition, Changes and Space Oddity at least are pretty poor. of course you can listen to them but they're a one-spin release to me.

10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Oh yeah, I feel sure Bowie had vast experience of cinema going way back, both "serious" and not so serious (he was a huge vintage and contemporary comedy fan).

In terms of silent film or early talkies.. Hitchcock, Murnau, Lang, Pabst etc, I'd guess they were all in the Bowie consciousness or subconscious, and as we all know, making music or anything, things and influences come out of the subconscious without the maker knowing it, pointed out by others later, or realised by the maker later. I've had this with music, many examples but a film one is where I quoted a David Lynch line in a song in 1994, didn't realise until someone told me years later, and am not even much of a Lynch fan, but the line must have been there in my subconscious from 10 years before I sang it, when I saw the movie (Eraserhead), because by 1994 I'd forgotten anything specific about the movie.

11. zaza_3121

zaza_3121 Forum Resident

Exactly my feelings. The best songs are really great, but the rest is just bad. There's nothing in between - African Night Flight is a waste of tape, though I dig the guitar riff near the end. Move On is forgettable b-side material. Yassassin is destroyed by it's melody and length, though Belew's guitar riff is catchy - his tone was MAD during that time, you've got to love it, pure JC-120 with DynaComp :) Repetition is worth a skip button as well.

The rest is brilliant, great songs full of great ideas and some homage to Neu! (Red Sails). I'm interested in hearing the remixed version, but I'm not sure if it will make me love the full album..probably not.

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I dunno, in olden days, everyone from The Beatles to Bauhaus to Joy Division released huge amounts of stellar non album tracks on singles, including many of their most famous, beloved songs..

zaza_3121 likes this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Based on your posts, I think it's safe to say nothing will change your mind about it. A remix can give us a new perspective, but it won't turn bad songs into good ones.

For me, Boys Keep Swinging is the only poor track on the record. The rest is just magic. Even with Boys, it's an okay pop song.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Neonbeam and zaza_3121 like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Apparently Bowie lost out on the bidding to rescore the Metropolis soundtrack. His gentle dig at Moroder has added weight to it.

Fantastic Voyage and Reptition are good and appeared in set lists 20 years later. I think 6 out of the 10 songs from Lodger were played live.

Steve Carroll likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Lodger" takes time. Read my early posts in the dedicated thread. Never really "got" the album until a couple of years ago. Now I like it as much as the other two.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Lodger took me a while too. I always liked the excellent "Boys Keep Swinging" and "DJ," of course, which I still think are the album's standouts, but it took years before I really connected with the rest of the album. I still don't like it quite as much as "the other two," nor as much as Scary Monsters, but it's nevertheless nice when you persevere with an album like that and it finally clicks.

17. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

I might be in a minority but I love Move On. His voice is great, especially the plaintive spitting towards the end, the traveloguing in the lyrics is entertaining and the drums act effectively as a rolling train carriage while our hero struggles to truly "move on".

Tingman, Wilco, stef1205 and 7 others like this.
  18. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Being able to 'discover' or 'get' albums like Lodger are the reason I am getting the vinyl box sets. I think you need to invest time and get intimate with the music, so for me that means setting time aside, sitting down, lights down, drink in hand, headphones on and playing the vinyl, eyes shut or at least not getting distracted with anything else in the world. In fact, thats the reason I got back into vinyl full stop.

That is why I am looking forward to this box set particularly, with such revered albums, and hope its as revelatory as The Gouster was, for me.

Robert C, pobbard, Mazzy and 3 others like this.
  19. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

Where will people buy this from?

Looking for cheapest pre order in UK

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Just throwing in two thumbs up for the Au Pairs' cover of "Repetition", found on their first album, which would have been 1980 or 1981.

sparkmeister and robtodd like this.
  21. Steve Carroll

Steve Carroll Forum Resident

No love for Fantastic Voyage or Repetition? Lodger is one of my favorite Bowie records. And I thinks his vocals on it are some of the best he recorded. I also think it is an interesting record as it is Bowie's only 'socio - political' album with themes such as the arms race, immigration and domestic abuse.

22. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Best deal I can see currently (from a UK-based seller, at least) is whatrecords.co.uk - £86.99 for the CD set, £169.99 for the vinyl (+£8 shipping for either). IME, they're very reliable with delivering stuff on release date (and you often get it several days before).

(I got my Amazon UK pre-order for the CD set locked in at £90 on the day the set was announced, but I see they've since hiked the price up to the £99.99 RRP).

23. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's more of a British thing. I knew that would come up, though.

24. Neonbeam

"Playing With A Different Sex" is from 1981 but I never was a fan of that album. Or their "Repetition" version.

25. Neonbeam

In preparation for this box and with upcoming summer holidays I'd recommend to grab "Live On Tour With David Bowie - We Can Be Heroes" by the late Sean Mayes. An excellent account of what is now commonly referred to as the "Stage" tour that offers great insight and a new perspective.

azjvm05 likes this.