Your Favourite Roxy Music Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'd take the title track of Manifesto over the entirety of F+B.

2. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Got in the mood to listen to my 3 Roxy Music LP's. Avalon of course, pure gold. Then, For Your Pleasure, not only a wonderful amazing crazy album but also hard to believe it is the same band. Then, Flesh and Blood, which for me is kinda meh until Eight Miles High, then I remember why I've kept it all these years.
    Then I though I should check out this forum and maybe get something new (to me). Holy Cow there are a lot of different opinions here!
    I'm going to buy the LP's with gorgeous girls in wet T shirts on their covers first...

Solace likes this.
  3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Get Siren. No wet T Shirt, but great music and cover.

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

We did get that amazing full-length version of 'Ladytron' from the 'forthcoming' deluxe edition, however, though I never expected it would have to tide me over quite this long!

5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

1980 Roxy Music - Oh Yeah UK 5

Solace likes this.
  6. hifi_downunder

hifi_downunder New Member

Gotta say i was very impressed with Avalon. I'll definitely check out the others listed in this forum.

7. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto

[​IMG]

Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto
    Manifesto

8. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Roxy Music made a lot of great music. Just don't expect the other albums to sound quite like Avalon!

9. husafreak

OK, we've got Siren, and then of the others beside Avalon and For your Pleasure which ones are closest to FYP in their ground breaking artistry and which are closest to Avalon in its seductive precision. I'm going to Berkeley to buy a few. And if that doesn't work I'll order a few... I 'm collecting vinyl these days :p

10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

They're a band I like okay but where I've never managed to love them overall. For some reason they never clicked as strongly with me as I might have expected them to (given some similar stuff I like a lot, given that I'm a huge Eno fan, etc.)

Roxy Music's/Bryan Ferry's later (80s and beyond) material resonates a bit more with me. So I picked Avalon in the poll.

11. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

You haven't missed much. Audiophile territory, i.e. style over substance. Represents the final stage in a once great band's transition from the sublime to the anodyne.

I would rank them:

Stranded
    For Your Pleasure
    Siren
    Country Life
    Roxy Music
    Manifesto
    Flesh & Blood
    Avalon

G E likes this.
  12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I saw them on what I think was their final tour (2011) when they were reaching back to the first four albums primarily, then they did some interminably dull stuff - including what I later learnt was 'Tara' - that seemed totally out of place. That's when I decided to skip Avalon.

Saying that, 'Rain Rain Rain' from Flesh + Blood is in my top ten Roxy songs.

13. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

The first Roxy Music album was astonishing when it came out. Totally unexpected, compared to everything else that was happening at the time. I saw them on their first major UK tour, at Newcastle City Hall, where they played the entire album, side two first, then side one, then Virginia Plain to finish. Before the gig we were in a record shop in Northumberland Street, and Ferry and Eno came in, just looking around. Quite friendly, Eno in pink satin pants, Bryan in a brown leather bomber jacket, his hair dyed inky blue. I was 16 years old and life was never the same. Never saw them again, never bought another album! Weird eh?

14. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

15. husafreak

Hmm, that is weird.

16. husafreak

Had fun today in the bins, got used copies of Siren and Manifesto. New copies of Roxy Music and Country Life. Listening to Siren now, it's mint and sounds fantastic. Mostly I love the songs! So happy to be hearing new to me stuff from a favorite band. Funny how back in the day I was happy to buy a couple albums and be done with it, just repeated listens. But lately I am finally adding to my collection. I must have been kinda poor back then...

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not 100% sure what you guys are referring to but.... there are no girls "in wet t-shirts" on "Country Life". Or any Roxy album for that matter.

18. Neonbeam

W.H.A.T.?

1. In a way Roxy was always "style over substance"

2. Having never heard "Avalon" is a huge loss. It's the blueprint for Ferrys later solo albums.

Max Florian and lance b like this.
  19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

agree with point one but not two. Ferry's later solo albums were dull as a result of taking on the Avalon blueprint.
    can't argue with its popularity and of course it's worth hearing, but it's probably the Roxy album i've played least since getting into them via Manifesto.

Lands End Drums likes this.
  20. Joe_Schmoe

Joe_Schmoe Member

I voted Avalon, but I also like their very first one as well. Growing potatoes by the sco-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-re lol.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Max Florian likes this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Maybe I would have liked them more if I knew them from the start. I didn't know them until the later 70s, though, via "Love Is the Drug", and for some reason, radio near me was only playing that tune in the later 70s--like 1978 or 1979, and they were playing it mixed in with a bunch of other new wave--Devo, B-52s, etc. So at first I thought they were just another new wave band. I was surprised to learn that Brian Eno had been in the band, but I had only gotten into Eno during the later 70s, too. In his case, due to the Robert Fripp connection. I was (well, and still am) a huge King Crimson fan and in the later 70s, in the absence of a new Crimson album, I started exploring related stuff more, which led me to No Pussyfooting, and that led me to Eno around 1978 or so.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Well... I always had problems getting into "Manifesto" or "F & B" but I think "Avalon" is one of Ferrys strongest works. Always loved it. Those later albums on the other hand.... unlike Bowie Ferry hasn't made (or "has yet to make") an entirely successful late period record. Love "Boys & Girls" and "Bête Noir" but that may be down to the fact that I bought them as they came out and they are forever connected to this very period. In my mind at least.

The rest.... yeah... spotty. Some decent. Which arguably could be said of his earlier solos too. Ironically my favourite is "In Your Mind", go figure!

23. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

My vote would go to Viva but since that's not an option it was a coin flip between For Your Pleasure and Stranded and I went with FYP but could go either way...

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

In what way? Their music was always substantial and thought-provoking until Siren; thereafter, it became increasingly low-brow, lowest common denominator stuff. Muzak.

Up to Siren, only tragic & shallow fashion victims would've found more style than substance in Roxy Product.

25. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I'm not going to vote yet. I only know (and own) the Street Life compilation, Avalon and (since yesterday) Flesh + Blood. I don't like everything on Street Life, but I do like Avalon a lot and was kind of surprised it's kind of a Flesh + Blood part 2 once you get to know that album. More (recognisable) synths on F+B, that's a fact. But I like synths. Reading the rest of the posts of this thread I'm in for a treat, moving backwards through their catalogue.

Solace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.