What are your favourite Rolling Stones albums? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Get Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac to record it.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It really depends on the day. Historically, Sticky Fingers had the edge, but Let It Bleed and Exile are very close. Also, there are times when Some Girls and Aftermath are in contention. And over the past year, Goats Head Soup has become a sleeper favorite.

3. I like it but I feel that it needed to be cut down to one record at the time--10 or 11 strong songs. I also thing that the whole heroin chic type of thing played into the mystique of the album. It's a good follow up to Sticky Fingers but inferior to the two before it and even inferior to some of the albums that follow it. Unlike The White Album (which I thing, flaws and all is perfect the way it is), Exile suffers from material I could easily cut. Maybe it's because there were four singers on the album and the diversity of styles. On the other hand, it's the album that has the most in common with The White Album in the way it was recorded with various members working together but not necessarily all at the same time.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

My first Stones records were my mom's copies of December's Children, 12x5, and Out of Our Heads. Those are the ones that have always held up for me.

mschrist likes this.
  5. For me, too. I bought into the comments that it was an inferior album for a long, long time but it's held up remarkably well.

Crimson Witch and Dave Hoos like this.
  6. That's the problem I had with it as well but you have to just accept it for what it is. Boogie blues. It's still not as strong as what came before or some things that came after.

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Between the Buttons. I like the fuzz, some songs seemed to be whipped up quickly, and I generally just like the sounds of '66 (even though it came out early '67). I'm more partial to the US version since it opens with "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Crimson Witch, 905 and wayneklein like this.
  8. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

"Exile", absolutely. Blues, rock, country, and gospel, often played at the same time, rock music face-to-face with its root genres, full of unexpected turns and twists (the switch from the cold, abrasive "Ventilator Blues" to the weird, remote "I Just Want to See His Face" is breathtaking), sprawled over four sides that you can get lost in.

I threw another vote to "12 x 5" because the early Rolling Stones are so exciting and joyful, and that album's the best of the early ones for the material recorded at Chess.

bonus likes this.
  9. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Try starting at a different place other than disc one, side one, track one? I struggled at first with "Exile", and in retrospect I think that some of that is that the first four tracks are so grimy that it's hard to approach the album at the start. Maybe start with side two or side three.

bonus, Guy E and qm1ceveb like this.
  10. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Over the years, each of the "Big 4" has been my favorite. Late 70's / early 80's it was Let it Bleed and Sticky Fingers. A little Satanic Majesties was sprinkled in there. Exile had the longest run from mid to late 80's into the beginning of the 21st century. When the Abkco SACDs came out, I loved how the acoustic guitar sounded on Beggar's and Let it Bleed the most, so Beggar's became my favorite since. Overall, I think they hit their peak with Sticky Fingers.

Doug

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Good things on all of them, but Let It Bleed is the best.

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Sticky Fingers by a wide margin.

13. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Between The Buttons for me.

jerol

Crimson Witch and cwitt1980 like this.
  14. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

1. Sticky Fingers
    2. Exile on Main St.
    3. Tattoo You
    4. Let It Bleed

15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I love your avatar, Musicman1998. Finding that Japanese version of Between The Buttons for $10.00 in Boston was one of my favorite-ever record hunting moments. Boy, do they look miserable on that putting green, especially Mick. I did this graphic for the inner sleeve of my BTB custom edition CDR:
    [​IMG]

Zoot Marimba and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I voted Exile, Beggars Banquet, Their Satanic Majesties Request and Aftermath.

I think that Beggars Banquet is my very favorite.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Exile< Second choice.
    Though too sprawling, make superior single album, different cover.

18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

1. 12x5
    2. Now
    3. Out Of Our Heads (US)
    4. Beggars Banquet

Crimson Witch and alexpop like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Beggar's Banquet" straight through to "Some Girls" is one of my favourite decades by any artist. It's mesmerising, it's debauched, it's decadent, it's very, very tempting. And it's foking great music with a terrific image. And a tongue logo:righton:

bonus and Crimson Witch like this.
  20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Oh, probably Exile, and then Some Girls.

Believe it or not, Flowers could be next. Sure, it's a hodgepodge of mostly previously released material, but when I was first getting into the Stones, mid or late 80s, I didn't know that. I loved Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together, so I thought that was the album they came from and enjoyed it as such.

cwitt1980 and Guy E like this.
  21. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

22. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Perhaps the poor votes result from the fact that it has been almost unavailable on CD for a long time (there is still only the Japanese CD from 1986 if you are into physical).

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. sami

sami Mono still rules

Pick anything from the debut through Exile and your answer is correct.

Dave Hoos, Zoot Marimba and Guy E like this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Exile, of course. Did you need to ask?:p
    It's definitely my favourite of their early albums...
    In my case the wife sez Black And Blue. It did warm the cockles on our first date when I asked her what her favourite Stones album was...it proved she was no fair weather Stones fan, that's for sure!

25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

Nearly. It's also available in the mono box as of now. But seperately, you're right.

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.