Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wish they could have another two seasons for Capaldi actually (don't get me started on wanting more Eccleston, and McGann never even got the chance). I always wished there had been two more for Sylvester McCoy, but maybe it's an illusion that it seems to be getting better just before the end? I think they should have addressed the 'not just a Timelord' thing from McCoy and also had some kind of hopefully happy ending for Ace other than what was in those very uneven paperbacks. Three years in the '80s sure seemed a lot longer time than they seem now, but I'm probably just old. :cool:

If New Who is uneven, it really wasn't any different before... The Romans and Gunfighters were a couple of early groaners with the original Doctor when nobody imagined such a thing as regenerating.

Walt, andybeau and Isaac K. like this.
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

so who do you think is the new doctor ?

3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Olivia Coleman

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It's Jody Whittaker!

Scopitone likes this.
  5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

[​IMG]

And no existing Companion to freak out about the gender change, unless Clara shows up.

Yovra and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. Andy Smith

Oooo! I was SO close.

7. Scopitone

I have to think that while Olivia Colman would have been terrific, going a little bit younger and prettier makes sense when doing something the fandom sees as super radical.

I like what I have seen from Whittaker, going back to Venus in 2006. I'm looking forward to it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

She was very impressive in the Broadchurch-series! I think the success of the new series and the 13th doctor depend on the writing and directing....

Gary7704, andybeau, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I think it had to happen at this point for a lot of reasons. Another white male would have been frankly a boring choice and after 12 years since its revival it really did need a kick in the teeth. I've never been one to think that it was a good idea to cast a woman simply for being a woman (always thought the casting should be open to both sexes and give it to the one that does the best in the audition, but that form of equality just doesn't happen in reality), however now that one has I'm excited to see how she does. Long live The Doctor!

andybeau, Scopitone and Yovra like this.
  10. Scopitone

Agreed on all counts.

andybeau and Yovra like this.
  11. I never felt anyone could run the show more in to the ground than John Nathan-Turner did but Steven Moffat has proven me wrong. Here's hoping the new team - with what looks like a promising choice of actor in the lead - turns things around quickly.

12. Andy Smith

As great as it is they've chosen an actress to take on the role next, the downside is we'll probably now never see Kris Marshall playing the part. He would have been very enjoyable as the Doctor I feel.

andybeau likes this.
  13. Yovra

Why not? Maybe in two or three years?

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

My gut says that now that they made the transition to a female playing the role, that the next Doctor after her will be a woman, too. Returning that quickly back to a man would only give credence to the belief among many that this has just been done as a gimmick. I think in all liklihood we won't see another male (or at least a white one) for almost a decade.

15. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Good point, and I wouldn't be suprised if Doctor #13 crosses paths with former incarnations of him/herself, or old companions.

Plenty of scope for "who is this person?" storylines there.

Then there's the other way around. Her current companion meeting a former Doctor. Cue "You never told me you were a man?" "Well, you never ASKED..." jokes...

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Any choice will be a boring choice without an improvement on the stories and the writing. Recent eps seem to indicate, at least to me, that things are getting better in that regard. So I hope it continues, otherwise, once the novelty is worn off, we'll be back to boring rather quickly.

I'll definitely tune in as I like the series and this could be a good kick in the backside for the series. Hopefully, it'll lead to some fresh ideas and better storytelling.

davenav and Scopitone like this.
  17. Andy Smith

I don't think the stories nor writing needs improving. Of recent times, the Matt Smith years were excellent and Capaldi's stint has been thoroughly entertaining. As a long-standing viewer (I go back to the Bill Hartnell days) I can assure anyone who wasn't there that some of the efforts back then were poorly constructed with lazy writing centred on a laughable 'cliffhanger' ending every week. Dire and tiresome is what I recall. In the Tom Baker and Pat Troughton eras especially, a 6-part story could easily have been wrapped up in 3 episodes. Padded filler is my recollection.

Viewing them as a far older bloke on dvd, my thoughts haven't changed. I wish we'd have had the quality of directors and writers back then that we have on the show now. No, the only thing that really needs to change nowadays is to make the tales more accessible to children. It's meant to be a family show, not a vehicle pandering to fan-boy geeks dissecting every nuance. Keep the kids scared, that's the backbone of the show's continued success. Don't baffle them or they'll leave in droves. New guy: make it simpler.

Chris DeVoe, beccabear67 and Yovra like this.
  18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Nah, I don't think underestimating the intelligence of children is the answer. Sometimes they grasp new ideas and concepts faster than adults do (just watch them around computers). A great show from my own childhood was Land of the Lost. Like Classic Doctor Who, the effects were cheesy, but the writing had a lot of advanced science fiction concepts you wouldn't expect to find in a mere children's show. For instance, the end of Season One has Marshall, Will, and Holly escaping from the Land of the Lost only to be replaced by another Marshall, Will, and Holly from a different parallel Earth. It's like something that could have been lifted straight from the mind of Moffat with the amount of confusion it could potentially instill in its core audience.

19. Yovra

I'm a ''casual'' viewer from the Tom Baker years and I agree for some part. The thing is...in the ''modern'' series there were occasional ''stand-out'' episodes. Episodes like "Blink!" (the weeping angels!!), The Empty Child (kids with gas masks for faces!) , Vincent and The Doctor....and in this series I missed 'peaks' like that. The best "Capaldi"-episode was (I think) "Heaven Sent" with The Doctor in a terrible ever-lasting loop....
    I think the talents of Capaldi were often wasted on the weakest writing for years....

eddiel, tkl7 and Andy Smith like this.
  20. Andy Smith

A mate of mine found this take on one of the Faceache sites she checks.

“What’s for dinner?” the children ask.

“I think we’ll have a barbecue, as it is so sunny!” says Mummy.

“A barbecue?” the children say “But we are hungry! And Daddy won’t be home for ages! How can we have a barbecue?”

“I am going to barbecue!” says Mummy.

The children look dubious. Is this possible? A woman as Doctor Who is one thing, but MUMMY barbecuing? This is a strange and new concept.

“Yes!” says Mummy “I am perfectly capable of barbecuing, because I am going to let you in on a little secret, my darlings- IT’S JUST COOKING OUTSIDE! There is actually nothing particularly mysterious or complicated about it.

“Does Daddy know you are going to barbecue?” asks the Boy Child bravely.

“No,” says Mummy “It is nothing to do with him, I don’t need his permission to touch the bastarding barbecue, you know!”

“Are you sure, Mummy?” says the Girl Child. "Daddy says barbecuing is very difficult and complex, and only a Manly Man can barbecue because Fire. And then I think he said something about woolly mammoths, and beer! You are not a Manly Man, Mummy, how will you manage to barbecue without a lady to fetch and carry things while you guard the Fire?”

“Pshaw!” says Mummy “Bollocks to that, barbecuing is a piece of piss. In fact, the only difficult thing about barbecuing is what a performance your bloody father makes of it!”

Mummy lights the barbecue. Mummy cooks the food. Mummy manages to fetch herself top ups of pink sunshine wine, and take the cooked things inside and bring out the next things to go on the barbecue ALL BY HERSELF. Even more astonishingly, the ****ing fire was absolutely fine, even though Mummy did not spend the whole time standing over it, refusing to move more than three inches away from the barbecue BECAUSE SHE WAS BARBECUING AND SO COULD NOT STEP AWAY, NOR EVEN LOOK AWAY, as Daddy claims is the case when he is barbecuing.

Daddy comes home and says “Something smells yummy! Are the neighbours having a barbecue?”

The children say “MUMMY barbecued, Daddy! On YOUR barbecue. Mummy says barbecuing is a piece of piss and you are nothing but a bloody drama queen with the way you carry on and pretend barbecuing is very tricky and can only be done by men!”

Daddy turns pale. “MUMMY barbecued?” he cries “But how can this be? Did she even drink beer? How did she light it? Did she know the exact right moment to spread the coals out, that has to be carefully watched for? How would she even know when that moment was? Only a Man can know that, it is part of the Manly Lore, handed down through the generations! My barbecue is sullied now, and TAINTED by her feminine wiles! There is far more to the Noble Art Of Barbecuing than a bag of instant lighting charcoal and a packet of chicken drumsticks, you know.”

“There’s really not, actually! Now do shut up and have a burger, you pretentious twat!” snaps Mummy “The game’s up, mate! I’M going to do the barbecuing from now on, and you can be my bitch!”

Daddy weeps quietly to himself. He knew no good could come of a lady Doctor. It is giving women Ideas. Mummy has put bunting on his barbecue. He can barely even bring himself to look at it. Poor Daddy. Deep in his soul he knows it is only a matter of time before Mummy paints his shed duck egg blue and hangs jaunty curtains at the windows and fills it with cushions, for nothing is sacred anymore. Nothing.

21. beccabear67

There've been major modern clunkers and there were clunkers in the '60s-'80s run. I really am skeptical of him becoming a her though, seems a desperation move to me (and I liked Broadchurch just fine). Then again, I know that in 1981 I thought Peter Davison was a mistake after knowing only one Doctor (and then I thought Colin Baker was going to be great). I've been wrong many times. Maybe she'll draw a bit from Davidson's Doctor as the other young blonde?

22. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the Christmas episode looks amazing! David Bradley is incredible !

andybeau, beccabear67, eddiel and 3 others like this.
  23. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yep, Bradley certainly looks the goods here. It sounds like "completing the circle" of male doctors before a completely different regeneration.

Would be cool if someone (a companion - either past or present) sees him regenerate into 13. It's a regeneration that deserves some companionship - for both the "what the heck!" reaction, and helping get used to the new.. erm... setup.

Not sure how I feel about the rumours that the military Captain is the Brigadier's father or grand-dad, though. It all seems a little too contrived.

beccabear67 and fitzysbuna like this.
  24. beccabear67

I know, The New Doctor Takes The Chippendale Dancers For A Ride! Part One (of 12)... whoohoo! :righton:

25. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.