Anybody else collect comedy records/CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

Does anyone else collect comedy records and CD's?

I don't collect a lot, but I usually go all out and collect everything from the comedians I like.

And, I can't say I play them NEARLY as much as music CD's because they would get old really fast - especially after back-to-back repeated listens.

So, this is the comedy I collect, mostly:

George Carlin
    Redd Foxx
    Bill Cosby
    Jonathan Winters
    Bob Newhart
    Sam Kinison
    Robert Klein
    Monty Python

Anyone else collect this stuff?

2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Monty Python's albums are an often-overlooked part of their brilliant legacy.
    I have all of Carlin's albums. Audiophiles would be horrified by the stereo separation of FM/AM, which has George on one speaker and the audience on the other, as though you were in the front row, facing sideways.
    Apart from Carlin, most of my comedy albums are of more modern vintage.
    With George gone, my favorite living standup comedian is Patton Oswalt. His first album, Feelin' Kinda Patton, is distilled from a longer show later released in its entirety as 222.
    Another favorite of mine is Louis C.K. Bo Burnham puts on multimedia shows that are worth seeking out on DVD or video on demand. And I've got a fair number of "Weird Al" Yankovic albums. I've probably got more than a hundred comedy CDs all told. You can't really listen to them in the same context that you'd listen to music, but they're indispensable in their own niche.

3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Carlin and Hicks, picked up the new ones put out last year, and Jasper Carrott if I see them in the charity shops.

Imagine70 likes this.
  4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've got a few Bill Hicks CDs and that's about it. I used to have an album by a Bill Hicks tribute band but I sold my Denis Leary CD...

5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Collect? N.
    Enjoy? Y.
    Early Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson and Richard Pryor. These acts would appear regularly on The Merv Griffin Show and The Mike Douglas Show, which I watched religiously.

George P, mbrownp1 and Chazzbo13 like this.
  6. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I wouldn't say I actually collected comedy albums as such, but I do have the following:

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore - The World of Pete & Dud (Decca PA 311)
    Tony Hancock - Hancock's Half Hour: The Poetry Society/Sid's Mystery Tours (BBC ZCF 394)
    Tony Hancock - Hancock's Half Hour: Hancock's War/The Christmas Club (BBC REB 526)
    Tony Hancock - Unique Hancock (BBC REB 150M)
    Tony Hancock - The World of Tony Hancock (Decca PA 417)
    Cast - The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Original ORA 42)
    Cast - The Hitch-Hiker's Guide, etc: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Original 54)

mc7t and nikh33 like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Firesign Theatre

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

George Carlin: The Little David Years, Take-Offs and Put-Ons (70's reissue LP), A Place For My Stuff, Carlin On Campus, Jammin' In New York

Monty Python: The Instant Monty Python CD Collection, Matching Tie & Handkerchief (double grooved Arista LP), Live! At City Center,
    The Album Of The Soundtrack Of The Trailer Of The Film Of Monty Python And The Holy Grail.

Firesign Theatre: Everything except Lawyer's Hospital and All Things Firesign plus three side project LPs. (Too much to list.)

Bill Hicks: Dangerous, Relentless

"Weird Al" Yankovic: Permanent Record, Bad Hair Day

Julie Brown: Goddess In Progress, Trapped In The Body Of A White Girl

Denis Leary: No Cure for Cancer

Sam Kinison: Louder Than Hell

Bobcat Goldthwait: Meat Bob

Hudson & Landry: Hangin' In There

Cheech & Chong: Wedding Album

Tom Lehrer: An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer, That Was The Year That Was

Napoleon XIV: The Second Coming

National Lampoon: The Missing White House Tapes, Greatest Hits

Saturday Night Live

9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've heard this a bunch and still find it funny as all get out.

10. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I have work by Firesign Theatre (MFSL CDs), Monty Python and Alvarez Guedes, as well as Saturday Night Live and The Medium Is The Massage on LP.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Standup Comic: 1964-1968 by Woody Allen, one I never get tired of, and the ones by the Pythons, which are sometimes overlooked, but that work as well as the TV show and the film
    And then, the exquisite albums by Les Luthiers, an Argentine musical comedy group famouse for their exotic home-made instruments. Simply amazing.

Curious Breeze and ernie11 like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have a bunch of PDQ Bach records too.

13. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

I spin Bob Newhart's records frequently, love them!

14. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I don't collect them per se, but I do have LaWanda Page's "Mother is Half a Word". It's fall-down funny... and filthy. No one like her.

Christopher B and boboquisp like this.
  15. I've got a set of the Python albums on CD. Not really a comedy collector but would like some Bill Hicks and also a CD of Woody Allen 'Nightclub Years' if I come across them on my travels.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Back when I had 'disposable income', I got a few good box-sets that I'm pretty glad I got!
    Like.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

17. No.
    Just two of my, to many ;) , fave used ceedee finds [for like 5 bucks each] were:
    "Cheech & Chong - Cheech & Chong's Greatest Hit"
    especially for "Basketball Jones".
    Cheech & Chong - Cheech & Chong's Greatest Hit
    &
    "Dr. Demento - Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection The Greatest Novelty Records Of All Time"
    Various - Dr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection: The Greatest Novelty Records Of All Time
    especially for "Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!"
    Goth Clubs [Sacramento CA & San Francisco CA] still play a remix ~

at least they did till earlier this year.

Did collect "C&C" LP's in the Seventies.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh: Fish Heads, classic

19. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I hope I can post this here...

Many years ago, a friend had a tape of various stuff (a mix tape thing) and on it was a comedy routine recorded in front of a live audience wherein the comedian praises the versatility of the 'F-word' in the English language. He says the 'F-word' in various different ways over and over again - surprise, aggression, disbelief etc. The routine lasts several minutes.

I have wondered who this comedian is for over 20 years. - Does anyone know...?

Thanks!

To answer the OP, I have a few Monty Python LPs and one by Derek and Clive. And I would buy any Woody Allen LPs I can find (but I can't find any..!)

20. vince

It also had "Surfin' Bird" & "King Tut" on it, too!
    Sadly, there was another Dr. Demento comp. that had "Bra Size 45"!

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Carlin, not sure what album, Youtube has it. But for obvious reasons I won't post the link :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    SinnerSaint likes this.
  22. vince

I believe an animated version (by Bill Plympton) was used in this movie:
    [​IMG]

23. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I don't collect but I have recordings by Woody Allen, Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce, Firesign Theater and a few others. Do the Bonzos count?

SinnerSaint likes this.
  24. vince

I would assume that NEGATIVLAND can count, as a 'comedy band'.....
    they make me laugh.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Aside from the possible comedians other people mentioned, I think David Peel did a similar routine accompanied by some acoustic guitar strumming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.