Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I'll take that as a NO.

Let me know when you get into a band with 70 year old boomers and release an album and work the channels like you say and end up with a million seller.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I'm not a professional musician. And I was talking about a single, not an album.

3. dmiller458

I specifically said not to focus on CHR. IF they don't have to will to put in the effort, it definitely won't work.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Show me some success stories where bands of rockers in their late 6s/early 70s staged a significant comeback on the single charts like you describe.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Classic rock is an oldies format. They are not going to program anything that is not a well established hit from the 1990s or before. Stevie Nicks, who is a member of a group orders of magnitude bigger than BOC refused to do a new Fleetwood Mac album because sales numbers of a few hundred thousand units and non existent airplay would not be enough to warrant the headache being in a studio with Lindsey causes her. Lindsey and Christine made a nice album together, but I think they went into in with open eyes as far as it being a low key project.

EasterEverywhere and Tristero like this.
  6. Wombat Reynolds

Like I said. He's Eric Bloom, not only a long time professional musician, but arguably the leader of Blue Oyster Cult. I think he knows whats best for them and how to go about achieving it. You dont know that he has not considered everything you advocate, and discounted it for reasons that are his own.

I've seen those guys upwards of 10 times and would go again, new music or no new music.

7. Tristero

Indeed. Classic rock radio very rarely plays the new releases from bands who were much, much bigger than BOC. They always stick with the tried and true hits because they know that if they play something unfamiliar, people will turn the dial.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. dmiller458

Once again, I'm not talking about albums.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  9. dmiller458

I don't that he has and I don't know that he hasn't. He can do what he wants. And I guess that he can complain about it as much as he wants to, as well.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

What does that have to do with anything? Radio doesn't play albums. Fleetwood Mac actually sort of did what you suggested and put out a digital only ep. It went nowhere.

11. Wombat Reynolds

Bloom knows that. Without classic rock station airplay, he's going to be limited in how he can release and promote any kind of BOC new music. AND given response they got from their last album, he may well feel that most of those doors are either shut, or, too much effort for too little reward.

Just guessing, I dunno, but he seems to have his heels dug in and I'm sure he has his reasons.

12. Wombat Reynolds

LOL and he always has experts in the field like you, to tell him what he's doing wrong.

wow.

we're done here I guess.

13. Tristero

Yeah, and they know a lot more about making hits than BOC. Even their last major reunion effort 15 years ago failed to gain much traction on the singles chart and they were still a well known name.

seed_drill likes this.
  14. dmiller458

I'm not telling him anything. I don't know him. I'm expressing my opinion on a music forum. I thought that's what it was here for.

15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Yes and others are responding to your opinion and you obviously do not like their "real world" responses.

16. dmiller458

I don't like their responses any more than they like mine. And I don't know that they are real world responses. Nice irony quotes.

17. Tristero

Still waiting for some of those success stories. Surely, some forward thinking rocker has tapped into your magic formula.

18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

But how many classic rock stations are playing new music by classic rock artists?

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Even what used to be the "new rock" station in the area, is now an "active rock" format. As near as I can tell, their playlist is just as ossified, only about 15 years forward in their focus.

20. dmiller458

My local active rock station plays a lot of 15-20 year old music. But they're also playing the songs that are topping the current mainstream and alternative rock charts.

21. dmiller458

Maybe I'm looking through rose-colored glasses. I prefer it to the cynical, so-called real world perspective.

22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm always looking for new "rock" bands. I just think most of them are BAD
    In recent years I've discovered the The Sword, Earthless and recently Orchid.
    Saw Russian Circles a couple times lately and they kicked ass. I don't find much that impresses me honestly.

Brian Lux likes this.
  23. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

There's a lot of good new rock out there . . . it's just harder to find. Thing is, kids today don't listen to the radio. They listen/watch YouTube, Spotify and streaming channels. At least that's what my 13 year old does.

In our day, the new releases were easier to find because we only had a couple of radio stations playing rock and new albums were a huge deal. And if you wanted to buy it, you plunked down your $7.99 at Musicland.

Now we're back to a digital version of the early '60's - albums don't matter much because you can download whatever singles you want. It's not better or worse . . . it just is. But it makes it tougher for people like me who don't stream as much and have a tough time finding new artists that play what I like to listen to. Meaning stuff that isn't Beyonce, Katy Perry or hip-hop.

Example: "Tame Impala" . Crap - if my daughter hadn't cued it up on our shared Spotify account, I would have missed it.

DHamilton and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  24. dmiller458

I found out about Tame Impala by following the charts. Their most recent album was their first Aussie chart topper and it also made the US and UK top tens.

The Hot 100 is wasteland for rock and the OCC singles chart isn't much better. The one place that rock has been holding its own is on the US and the UK album charts.

But we're six and a half months in and there hasn't been a one rock album top the Billboard 200 this year. It was five this time last year with nine total for 16. If it's still zero at the end of 2017, I'll take off the rose-colored glasses and be just as cynical as everyone else here.

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why wouldn't members find out about Tame Impala right freekin' here? Countless mentions, threads and appearances on member best of lists. Try going into some new music threads instead of threads bickering about new music.