Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Most legacy artists are not performing better than they were in their prime. On the other hand, they are more experienced and know what their audiences want and and how to give it to them. In addition, most of them take much better care of themselves than they did in their "prime", are probably more diligent when it comes to preparing themselves for a show/tour and are surrounded by professionals at every technical level. Also, the sound, lights and video at modern shows are so far advanced from what they used to be that the "spectacle" will probably satisfy most people--even as high notes are missed or bum notes are played

dee likes this.
  2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Pearl Jam might play a long show these days but there is no chance they are better now than they were 20-25 years ago.

3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Well I don't know about the USA but in the UK the powers-that-be have killed the force that gigs used to have with their rules about keeping the volume below a "safe" level.

I remember seeing The Faces and The Who in the 70s and you not only heard fantastic music but you also felt it..it was a total experience.

After I saw The Faces at London's Rainbow in '71 my ears tingled for a few days and I loved it....yes, I know not good for my hearing.

In the last few years I have seen Neil Young a few times, ZZ Top, Oasis, Elvis Costello and each time you could hear people's conversations or, if you talk to someone, the person in front of you tells you to "be quiet."

Something has been lost....

JoeF., ExHead and budwhite like this.
  4. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Have you seen them lately? As someone who has seen them play in both '94, '95 and within the last few years, they come pretty darn close.

walrus and Oatsdad like this.
  6. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'd wager that everyone in this thread has heard a JEMS recording whether they realize it or not...their sources are deep and amazing.

Tippy, walrus and babyblue like this.
  7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Some of the 77 Boston shows are very good quality, certainly good enough for this archive series. This tour often gets overlooked, so a surprise soundboard from it would be most welcome.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Disagree there. But Pearl Jam is a major exception to the general law of diminishing returns. Part of it is that I find Dave Abbruzzese's drumming somewhat one-dimensional, and while certainly their first three albums were their most commercially successful, subsequent releases introduced so many songs to the live set that are just fantastic, and create a much more dynamic and musically varied setlist than they could've done in 1993. The raw energy of early PJ shows could never be matched, but musically I think their peak was much later, as more mature musicians and people. Depends what you're looking for in a show, though.

superstar19 likes this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree. I grant you that the quality that has surfaced is much better than what had previously been known, but I would never go so far to say they are 'good enough'. Maybe in somebody like Joe from Zappa's archive worked them over, they could be polished sufficiently.

superstar19 likes this.
  10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Did anyone else see this quote?

Nugs.net's Brad Serling says, "Before we dive deep into the Springsteen archives we wanted to get this one (Philadelphia, PA 10/20/09) out."

All you folks itching for some older shows should get something next.

dee likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I understand that a lot of Springsteen enthusiasts point to the length of his concerts as evidence of his ongoing prominence as a performer. And certainly there is some legitimacy to that; he still brings everything that he has. But, the length of his show is only one factor, and frankly, I don't find the actual execution of his collective songs from each show particularly consistent. I think some of the arrangements/tempos are problematic, his vocal work has clearly declined (understandable), his contemporary era material is often inferior (a plodding ten minute+ version of Mary's Place is a waste, and don't even mention the cringe-worthy Waitin' On A Sunny Day), etc. I find that isolated performances from most of his contemporary shows are still quite good, but as a whole, I think his shows are inconsistent, and as such, I don't see myself ever attending and sitting through another Springsteen concert again (and I consider myself a serious fan).

As far as holding back father time way better than most of his contemporaries, well, we will have to agree to disagree. In the past several years, I have seen The Eagles, The Who, Winwood/Clapton, and Queen -- all of which were superior to the contemporary Springsteen shows I have attended. He is still good and can hold his own with this contemporaries, but I do not believe he is "way better" than his contemporaries.

superstar19 and markbrow like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

Hopefully "diving deep" doesn't mean the 1999/2000 tour, or a Joad show.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  13. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

So you're one of those 'glass half empty' kind of guys?

PJayBe likes this.
  14. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Fair enough, we will agree to disagree. But I must say that comparing Springsteen to the Eagles is absurd. Also, as a hardcore who fan, I would argue that Rodger's voice is shot and he can no way hit the notes required. But, that's what makes the world go round. Me, looking forward to whatever the great Springsteen brings next (performance wise).

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  15. FourWalledWorld

The last time I saw them was in 2009 and 2010. I found them painfully average both times which disappointed me as such a big fan (and because they put on an excellent show when I saw them prior to this in '06).
    Since then, I haven't gone out of my way to go see them. It wasn't so much the band but moreso Eddie's vocals with him either flubbing lines or forgetting lyrics completely. It gave them impression that he hadn't rehearsed much (if, at all).

I actually preferred Dave A above all the other drummers. Love Matt Cameron but he is (or should I sadly say, was) much suited to Soundgarden IMO.

16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree to the extent that there's no good, logical reason why Springsteen concerts should be three hours and over. I understand this is one of the things he's noted for and that he takes pride in, but he's going to be 68 and maybe for quality's sake--and with an eye towards extending his career a few more years--he should cut it down to two hours--dispensing with ancient bar-band rockers would go along way towards doing just that. Even at the magnificent MetLife show I attended last summer, the last half-hour was a drag....
    Some fans will squawk but he's earned the right to cut his shows short. I think that's one of the idea behind this upcoming Broadway run--getting his fans used to a truncated show....

dee, budwhite, ExHead and 2 others like this.
  17. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

The 1975-1985 Live album is no longer available for streaming on the Amazon Primc music site.
    I'm wondering if Bruce Inc or Sony is planning on a new live release as the reason it might have been taken down?

18. walrus

That's a bummer that you had average shows. On the other hand, Eddie flubbing lines at least means it's real, and not just a dude reading lyrics from a teleprompter.

Dave A is just too many cymbals and horrible snare drum sounds. Jack Irons is by far my favorite Pearl Jam drummer, and it's a bummer there aren't any good live recordings from his time in the band.

budwhite and FourWalledWorld like this.
  19. walrus

It's still on Apple Music and Spotify, so I wouldn't read too much into this.

20. PacificOceanBlue

Not sure why. Up until Glenn Frey passed away in 2016, the band played 2+ hours of supremely performed music (vocally and instrumentally) with a set-list loaded with hit material and radio staples. You may not like The Eagles, but they are a legendary band, with sales that surpass Springsteen, a huge audience, and a reputation for being a superb live band.

21. FourWalledWorld

I agree with you there but...I don't know, the way I felt both those nights was a lack of preparation more than anything. That's just how I felt though.
    I mean, I'd almost prefer them to do an 18-20 song set perfectly than a 30 song set with a number of songs littered with mistakes.

22. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The Eagles don't sweat. Not since Joe got sober. Everyone on Bruce's stage is a stinky wet mess.

duggan and JuanTCB like this.
  23. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Love the Hotel California album (thank you Joe Walsh). But knowing how these dudes feel about each other is a major turnoff. They all seem like arrogant asses to me. The documentary that can be seen on Netflix confirms. Also, how many times have they feigned Farewell tour, jacking up prices on the shows. Just get the feeling they are playing exclusively for the money and not the joy of making music and performance. Yes, Bruce likes the $$ but no one can say that's all he is there for. I'll take Springsteen over the Eagles 8 days a week. Just my opinion.

24. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I have to grudgingly agree with this. When you're there and it's live it can be pretty special, but this is why I'm not buying the new show -- compare a reading of The Promised Land or Out in the Streets to earlier tours and it sounds somewhat lifeless. That said, if he goes out solo like he did in 2005 I'll be right there. Those shows were a challenge every night and featured some great deep tracks. With Danny and Clarence gone at what point won't it be the E Street Band anymore?

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I always liked some of The Eagles music, but I always got the same vibe that you feel. And one thing I've always wondered about--after they became bona-fide superstars ( with Their Greatest Hits) it seemed like Henley and Frey got rid of Leadon and then Meisner (after Hotel California)--both founding members--and replaced them with their "buddies" Joe Walsh and Tim Schmitt. Maybe there was more to that than meets the eye?