Anybody else collect comedy records/CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I collect comedy. Mostly downloads though.

And yeah, I play comedy records far less frequently, but I have hundreds and hundreds of recordings, so I listen to some comedy daily.

George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Doug Stanhope, Anthony Jeselnik are some of my favorites

Calling All Stations likes this.
  2. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

George Carlin - everything
    Firesign Theater - everything
    Bob Newhart - everything (Not easy to find all of them. Found the last two in Goldmine in the 80s.)
    Monty Python - everything
    And a few others

EVOLVIST and dlokazip like this.
  3. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Forgot - everything by Derek & Clive, too.

Terry Shute likes this.
  4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I've noticed a lot of the Bill Cosby LPs showing up in the bargain bins for $1, but haven't bought any

dlokazip likes this.
  5. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Peter Sellers
    Bernard Cribbins
    Monty Python
    Abbot and Costello

nikh33 and David Austin like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They have been dollar bin staples since I started buying used LPs in the late 80's.

7. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I have quite a bit. All of the Bill Hicks stuff (so glad I got to see him do standup one time back in 1990), Marc Maron, Maria Bamford, Patton Oswalt, David Cross, and Dave Foley.

I need to find a copy of Meat Bob by Bobcat Goldthwait again. Classic.

Of course I have tons of Weird Al as well...

vince likes this.
  8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

My first comedy album was a hand-me-down: David Frye's "I Am The President"-surprising as my parents were staunch Republicans. Frye was the original and best Nixon impersonator, and I can still listen to that album (it's on YouTube in it's entirety) and laugh.
    Around the same time Bill Cosby albums started showing up, and notwithstanding his current troubles I can still listen to any one of them and enjoy them.
    Further on down the road I surreptitiously got into George Carlin, via the "FM & AM" album, and I can quote whole routines word for word to this day.
    Then came Cheech & Chong, again having to sneak the cassettes into the house, and basically collected that whole catalog.
    Monty Python came along later, not as enjoyable as the shows, but I still collected them.
    Then Steve Martin, and then my comedy collecting took a big pause.
    I wasn't really interested in anything comedic for a long time, but Denis Leary's No Cure For Cancer fixed that.
    And then a phase I'm not proud of, but I was exposed to the Jerky Boys and Crank Yankers, and, frankly, they did make me laugh despite myself.
    I have all of these in either digital or physical form, and I break them out every once in a while.
    I think the last comedy album I bought was Seinfeld's "I'm Telling You For The Last Time".

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I sold my Firesign Theater albums, as I just couldn't get into them. The titles were funnier than the content.
    I'm selling my Bill Cosby albums, because he's a monster and I can no longer enjoy his humor.
    I do have a full run of Monty Python albums that I enjoy, as well as a smattering of Steve Martin, George Carlin, Lily Tomlin, Jonathan Winters, Bob Newhart, Lenny Bruce, Mike Nichols and Elaine May and a few others.

Edit: Oh yeah, I guy I used to work for gave me Adam Sandler's Stan and Judy's Kid, and, say what you want about Sandler, "The Champion" makes me laugh every time.

10. +
    'Does Boingo count?'
    Ha, ha, ha!!!
    "Oingo Boingo" was 1st a comedy troupe:
    "The Mystic Knights of Oingo Bongo"
    Wiki ~
    Oingo Boingo - Wikipedia

:righton:

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Based on what's in the dollar bins, I sometimes wonder what went through middle America's minds back in the 60s. "We should buy some records to go with this extremely large, expensive maple piece of furniture with the built in cruddy record player and tinny speakers" "I know, we'll get some Mantovani, some Bill Cosby and some of those delightful 101 Strings albums they sell for $1.98 at the Kress Mart."

majorlance likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As far as Cosby and the other ubiquitous albums like The First Family and the Button-Down Newhart albums...there was no cable TV yet.

dlokazip likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think he meant 'Bonzos', as in The Bonzo Dog 'Do-Dah' Band.

Pathfinderpat and elaterium like this.
  14. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

Brother Dave Gardner

Grampire and Folknik like this.
  15. Off:
    That's what the "+" was/is for!
    Adding to the post [+ = adding/get it?!?! :winkgrin: ].
    They said "Bonzo"& i said "Boingo"...
    there's a joke in there somewhere...
    i'm just not clever enough...
    :p

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    vince likes this.
  16. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yes, I definitely do! I have National Lampoon, Redd Foxx, George Carlin, Tom Lehrer, Avery Schreiber, Monty Python, Cheech and Chong, plus others.

17. vince

"Boingo does BONZO!"
    Reminds my of what Willie Nelson said on "The Simpsons":
    "Thank you Taco, for that loving tribute to Falco!"

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Kid from the Hall Bruce McCullough's SHAME BASED MAN. Weird, funny, sad, some great music and the best song about The Doors ever written.

[​IMG]

denesis likes this.
  19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I've got all of them!

David Austin likes this.
  20. vince

It also contains "These Are The Dave's I Know"!
    Great song!

21. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Don't forget Allan Sherman's records from the early '60's. A real slice of Americana before Carlin, Pryor and Lenny Bruce. My old man played them endlessly and they still crack me up.

Vaughan Meader's "First Family" record is also a hoot. That guy was the most famous comedian on the planet until November 1963 - and then he just disappeared.

22. vince

It's been said that that first thing Lenny Bruce said on stage, a day or so after the assassination was:
    "Boy, that Vaughan Meader's out of a gig, huh?"

dlokazip likes this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Meader actually made an attempt at a comeback in the early '70s with a comedy album called The Second Coming which was a spoof of Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, and the "Jesus movement" prevalent at the time. It's pretty funny but I don't think it met with much success.

24. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Yup. The story goes that Lenny Bruce did a live gig 2 days after the assassination. He comes out on stage, takes a deep breath and the first thing he says is: "Man . . . Vaughan Meader is screwed . ."

25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I've always loved the Smothers Brothers albums. In addition to their straight comedy bits, they also did a lot of folk song spoofs. They had a genuine love for the music (and occasionally even played it straight) but they took the academic stuffiness out of it by lampooning it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Chazzbo13, JamieC and Shriner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.