Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sonny Red with Grant Green and Barry Harris - The Mode (Jazzland) orange stereo label.

Cedar Walton, George Tucker and Jimmy Cobb are the rhythm section. Recorded in 1961.

rxcory and johnnypaddock like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

If the $50 copy is from International Phonograph then I can say it is a great reissue from packaging to sonics. Yes it's pricey but relative to other reissues you get what you pay for. Highly recommended.

Marzz likes this.
  3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

The International Phonograph web site doesn't show anything forthcoming. I know how important it is to grab those releases quickly and I do before I've even listened to samples now.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, that's the one. I thought about just picking up the LP new at $57, buy I really wanted to be able to easily play it in the car and I found a new copy fron a eBay seller for $45 plus shipping, so that was actually cheaper than the new LP. More commonly you see the OOP CD listed at least for more like $100.

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul (Blue Note) NY mono pressing

rxcory and vanhooserd like this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I listen to music, I often find myself hearing (in my head) a different version than the recording itself. Different lead singer (bass to soprano), different musical arrangement, different instruments, the vocal performed on violin or saxophone or some other instrument, or an instrumental performed as a song, different tempos, often different lyrics, maybe an a cappella performance....

The better the performer/singer on the original recording, the more my imagination runs with hearing something very different altogether. What I hear differs on each listening.

I do this all the time. Preferably in the dark with no other distractions.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I got that not too long after it was released. It was my first jazz LP by someone I had never heard of before. The cover drew me in and the song "Nature Boy" on the record made me buy it. It is one of those records that made me learn at a young age to buy music that I had never heard of before.

8. You've reminded me of some of my favourite Trane moments. Really love his stuff with Monk, (and 'Ruby, My Dear' was my favourite Monk composition when I first got into Monk, though I prefer Monk's Blue Note version over all the others.) But, yeah, Coltrane on 'Trinkle, Tinkle' moves mountains.
    The first couple of Prestige albums are a great introduction particularly Lush Life- that pleading intro to the title track was one of my earliest memories of the man, and probably the moment I was hooked, along with his playing on Kind Of Blue. The Prestige material tends to get a little samey for me after that.
    I find Giant Steps is where everything coalesces- the playing, the sound, the compositions and the emotional content. For me it has just as much emotional pull as A Love Supreme- that extended solo on 'Countdown' is joyous.

(Confession time, My Favourite Things has always been a colossal bore to me, never seen the attraction. Definitely a candidate for Woody Allen's 'Academy of the Over-rated'.)

I probably play the Impulse! material more than anything else, since I find such depth there and more to listen for with repeated playing. There are countless riches if you only get The Complete Quartet and Village Vanguard box sets. But like Miles, ' beginning, middle and end' I need it all.

9. I don't think I ever get that while I'm listening. Intriguing...

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Thad Jones - (Debut) remastered lp from 1991 by Phil De Lancie

From 1954, it is created from two sessions with two groups with Kenny Clarke/Maz Roach, Hank Jones/John Dennis, Frank Wess and Charles Mingus, the latter being the sole member in both sessions besdes Thad. Sessions were recorded in 1954 and 1955.

vanhooserd likes this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Re:Coltrane's discography, I would agree that some of the Prestige titles can be a little samey sounding but I enjoy the relaxed grooves played with the Red Garland Trio. They work for me when my brain is a little tired and I'm not ready for the intensity of some of the Impulse dates. There are a few titles on Atlantic and Impulse that would fit that bill as well. I have noticed that in the last five or six years I find myself playing the Atlantic albums more. Having said that, A Love Supreme is one of my favorite Trane albums.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

New Japanese reissue.
    [​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I like the Blue Note version, which I actually played as a pianist learning Monk solos from transcriptions before I heard it; I also love the solo version on Alone in SF; and the '57 version not with Trane "singing" the lead but with Coleman Hawkins too. Pretty much just love that one, including the great middle 8 which always puts me in mind of one of those Monk rules Steve Lacy wrote down: "THE INSIDE OF THE TUNE (THE BRIDGE) IS THE PART THAT MAKES THE OUTSIDE SOUND GOOD," not that the A section of the tune needs any help in sounding beautiful.

Lonson likes this.
  14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I actually feel like sometimes the classic quartet stuff can sound a little samey, especially with respect to the intensity, especially if you start listening to lots of the live dates as listening. That band can be very almost kind of make you claustrophobic with Tyner's very tight kind of comping and Trane and Jones' torrential action. Definitely not the music for any and every mood, though of course they play some beautiful, more spacious ballads too, like "Spiritual" and "Alabama," but even those have an emotional intensity that's pretty heavy.

Six String and ianuaditis like this.
  15. Lonson

The owner of International Phonograph has been posting on the Organissimo board and noted that he has been frustrated in getting the tapes he wants (master tapes) from the labels holding them and so he had backed off from tackling new projects; he still hopes to eventually put out the Joe Daly Trio at Newport (one of the first projects he wanted to do) material one day, but he is having trouble getting access to the tapes to this one as well.

Electric likes this.
  16. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

That explains that. On their next release I'm going to reopen the 2013 thread on this label. I managed to get all their releases but just barely for a couple.

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Joe Lovano Us Five – Cross Culture (Blue Note Records)
    — Joe Lovano – tenor and G mezzo-soprano saxophone, aulochrome, tárogató, oborom drum, gongs, shakers, puddle drums; James Weidman – piano; Esperanza Spalding – bass or Peter Slavov – bass; Otis Brown III – drums; Francisco Mela – drums, balafon, whistle; plus Lionel Loueke – guitar

[​IMG]

markp, Lonson and chervokas like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wynton Kelly - Whisper Not (Jazzland) burgundy stereo label.
    A solid date with Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.
    Remastered in 1962 from. 1958 recording.

NorCal likes this.
  19. Lonson

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Joe Henderson - The State Of The Tenor ~ Live at the VV (Blue Note) Vol. 1&2
    I'm not sure what else can be said about this title but it's as important as Sonny's VV set imho. Ron Carter and Al Foster were inspired choices to accompany Henderson. Ron really covers a lot of territory on his instrument. One of my standout tracks is his take on Monk's Ask Me Now. It's up there with Carmen McRae's reading in cover versions and it is in fact their versions that made me pay closer attention to Monk's many recordings of it. Joe really works it on this date.

rxcory, Marzz, alankin1 and 6 others like this.
  21. Lonson

Those two Henderson volumes are incredibly good. My favorite is this version of Sam Rivers' "Beatrice."

Erik B. and alamo54us like this.
  22. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

That cover reminds me of Speak Like A Child.

dzhason likes this.
  23. Breanna

Breanna Well-Known Member

Isham Jones - Stardust

24. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

That is just what I was going to say! Sharp album cover.