My Story of the Cars in Concert 1979

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cast Iron Shore, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Their audience - concertgoers of the time.

Cast Iron Shore and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny you mention that. Last night I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High and it had a very naughty scene featuring Moving In Stereo.

dkmonroe likes this.
  3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It had that 'underwater' stoned sound - as illustrated somewhat in the movie.

dkmonroe and Cast Iron Shore like this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I never saw them, but I moved to Boston in the Fall of 1977 (also saw one of the Elvis shows sbeaupre did) and started going to clubs and meeting people. When the Cars LP came out, I asked my friend who had been there for a few years "Hey, if this is a Boston band, how come they've never played anywhere around town, like the Rat?" He said "They tried, and everybody laughed at them and their stupid little coordinated suits". But the Boston club scene was oriented more towards loud, fast and energetic than the Cars were. They found their level.

sbeaupre and Cast Iron Shore like this.
  5. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I had two friends that saw them on the Panorama tour, one said, "They were great, it sounded just like the records!", the other said "They sucked, it was just like listening to the record!". Also, it was the first show I remember hearing that the baseball jersey, $17.00, was more expensive than the pavilion ticket,$15.00.

Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I think you just summed up the Steve Hoffman Forum.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

8. Cast Iron Shore

I believe Fresca sponsored one of their tours before it was recalled due to massive reports of nausea.

9. Cast Iron Shore

Recalling some posts about the Knack here, it's interesting that Doug Fieger said pretty much the same thing about his own band: that before they were signed they had been playing My Sharona and Good Girls Don't in bars for quite a while and no one seemed to be very impressed; then they broke big time and he mused that they were the very same band that they had been.

10. Cast Iron Shore

Ric and Elliot talk about that in this segment of the Musikladen interview. Turns out that what was stolen in the bag was a notebook of songs, not demos. Either way it sucks. It reminds me of the story of when, right before Band on the Run was to be recorded, McCartney had a container with all his Band on the Run demos stolen at knifepoint, had no other copies of it and had to try to remember all the songs when he got into the studio.

zen archer likes this.
  11. Cast Iron Shore

They were ahead of their time with the red/black theme and coordinated suits (which White Stripes helped themselves to), and Robinson was responsible for much of their visual style (even though Elektra rejected the album cover he made for the first album). I thought they worked that angle quite nicely.

zen archer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

The problem with their live show isn't that they stand around, it's the sludgy corporate rock bass and drums that strip the electro fun from the records off and make it sound ordinary.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So The White Stripes took a page from The Cars?

14. Cast Iron Shore

White Stripes' visual theme is (or was, as they are defunct) red and black (white was also allowed), in their clothing and all of their album covers. The Cars, via Robinson's urging, onstage wore only red and black (and white) during their early days and tended to keep that color scheme going even through their mid period. Their album covers, however, were exempt from this rule.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Cast Iron Shore

Audrey sure had chutzpah and it paid off in spades. That would make an incredible Youtube video.

16. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Apologies in advance for hijacking this Cars convo with Elvis Costello content, but in the spirit late 70s, short sets, here's a gem.

17. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

No way. The Cure is amazing live!

18. Cast Iron Shore

The first 3 albums were pure and for me, the corporate rock didn't start until they started programming everything including all the drums (Heartbeat City). They still had good songs, but they were ruined in the production and those albums haven't aged well, they sound dated with that awful '80s drum sound.

notesfrom likes this.
  19. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I saw them in 1978 with Cheap Trick opening. This was years before MTV, and they only had their debut released, so I didn't know what to expect. Cheap Trick hadn't broken yet--they had top 40 albums but no multi-platinum blockbusters like Budokan as of yet. They came out and busted their a$$es--you came away knowing it was only a matter of time before they were huge. They reminded me of The Who. What a study in contrast when the Cars came on.

20. Cast Iron Shore

Now that's the performance from the Cars I expected to see. I'm glad to know they had it in them even if it only came out infrequently.

21. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I also saw The Cars in 1979. I wasn't the biggest fan, but I was receptive to being converted. They sucked.

22. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I'm surprised they even had the nerve to follow Cheap Trick, circa '78.

T'mershi Duween and Jimmy B. like this.
  23. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Costello's Imperial Bedroom tour is amazing. Best Elvis shows since the 80's.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I think you misread that post.

tages likes this.
  25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I think one has to take into account that those big concrete block hockey/basketball monoliths of the 70s/80s/90s as venues were uniformly horrible as concert venues; isolated the band from the audience, usually had poor sound, and compounded by the fact that a high percentage of the audience would be zooted out of their minds well before entering the building.

Or, as some like to say, the good old days.

mtvgeneration likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.