Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I own several copies and enjoy it immensely every time I listen.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I kind of wish they wouldn't critique their output at all. Too many people seem to think that artists are some sort of authority on critiquing their own output, but I don't know why. It makes no sense when you think about it--if artists were in the best position to critique their own stuff, no one should ever have any material that's less than stellar. After all, they're deciding to write what they write, play what they play, record and release what they record and release. If they're some sort of expert on critiquing their own stuff, nothing should ever be less than great.

But that goes just as much for artists negatively critiquing their own stuff. Artists are too close to their own work, sometimes they're too interested in distancing themselves from work that's not at all where their head is at currently, etc. There are also all sorts of "political" motivations for artists to talk up or down certain past work. Business reasons, aligning themselves with fans, etc.

Leave the critiquing to other people.

Shaddam IV and Norco74 like this.
  3. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I have no problem with artists critiquing their own work.

It can be interesting even if I don't agree with it.

If other people want to use it as a basis for forming their own opinion, that's up to them.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  4. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I said "so-so", as this was one of only a few Floyd albums I haven't been able to get into.

That said, I love "Summer '68". And I like the live versions of "Atom Heart Mother" I have heard.

But the album itself doesn't really move me.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

What a ridiculous thing to say. There is no ‘true’ Pink Floyd music. That’s only a figment of your imagination. This said, The Wall is my favorite Floyd album with Animals coming in second place.

6. Mirror Image

I can’t stand Atom Heart Mother. Only with Meddle do things start to gel for me.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  7. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I was introduced to this album after someone gave me an old greek cassette. It was warbly, and extremely lo-fi, I loved it!

8. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I can see that, but I get annoyed with people behaving like sheep, too.

no.nine likes this.
  10. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Timeless. The title track is IMO the pinnacle of the band's early (and most interesting) period.

Front 242 Addict and Silvan like this.
  11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yes, there is true Pink Floyd music, and The Wall most certainly isn't it.

And you've got the nerve to call my comment ridiculous.

Have a word with yourself.

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The Summer '68 track is the albums highlight, IMO.

They get close to the old magic with Syd there. There are some cool moments in the title song suite too, but like someone else said, it's about 10 minutes too long. The other tracks don't really hold my interest. I never cared for the Psychedelic Breakfast, but it is a good concept.

13. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

"Funky Dung" jam is the first time we hear what would become the classic Pink Floyd sound.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  14. Mirror Image

No, there’s no ‘true’ Pink Floyd music. There’s only their music, which exists in a variety of sounds and colors.

WDeranged likes this.
  15. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Why don't you listen to both of them back to back? They would have fit perfectly as a double lp set...

Sincerely, More, AHM, Meddle and OBC are my favorites and represents a nice tetralogy that I labeled PF MKII phase 1. All differents, all good.

Perhaps those not liking AHM are also not liking choir and classical music.

jay.dee likes this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Pretty solid effort.

It's by no means a gateway album, it's clearly a transitional album but it excists in it's own, mellow-ish and slightly weird universe.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

That one along with "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "Come In Number 51,.." for me, which are all great bass-driven Floyd jams.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Solid effort, worth recommending.

This is one of my favorite Floyd albums. So why didn't I rate it essential? The answer is "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast". I think it's a pretty weak track, and if I'm being objective, I have to say it prevents the album from being a classic.

However, the title track is just massive (in substance, not just playing time). Easily one of their greatest accomplishments IMO. The other three tracks also rank as some of my favorite Floyd songs, making this a solid album for me IN SPITE of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast".

Front 242 Addict and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

A pretty solid effort. I think it's their best pre-Meddle album, and I've always thought that the title track and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" are two of their best progressive rock suites.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  20. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

I prefer earlier Floyd by quite a wide margin. This LP doesn't work for me, though. The title track has potential but I hate the orchestra or brass band or whatever it is. I really like this track without the orchestra, though. As I discovered with the Early Years box.

The tracks on side 2 are okay, I guess.

I'm constantly amazed people will talk up this LP whilst simultaneously slagging Ummagumma which I find a far more compelling listen

I gave it a rating of so so.

Undeniably iconic artwork, though. One of my favourite LP covers of all time.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I voted Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for Floyd fans, although it clearly isn't one of their best works or essential listening to many people who are bigger Floyd fans than I am. Essential listening for me anyway, although I actively detest "If", boring plodding tuneless self-pitying garbage from the king of boring plodding tuneless self-pitying garbage. Oh and marmalade, I like marmalade and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast".

PretzelLogic likes this.
  22. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

How much right is he then? I can understand they overplayed it and got fed up of it or simply didn't have much interest playing it in their later years. Doesn't justify to call it crap. If AHM title track was pompous, how do you rate The Trial from The Wall or the whole Final Cut album?

BTW, the title track has been heavily documented in the Early years box set. I lost count of the video and audio versions of it.

Shaddam IV, The Bishop and jay.dee like this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I really wanna call this one, "essential", but I'm going to go with "a pretty solid effort." The first side is super-duper essential, one of the most brilliant and daring compositions of the early Floyd. It gets better with every listen. The quad mix KILLS! However, on Side Two, the only really great tracks are "Summer '68", and "Fat Old Sun", and even "Fat Old Sun" was done much better live on the BBC. "If" is garbage (sorry Rog) and "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" barely rises above a waste of tape.

But you really need to hear side 1 if you want to know the Floyd intimately.

24. mch007

mch007 Forum Resident

Atom Heart Mother is a significant album for me, because my opinion on the this album has changed over the years. I used to think it is their bottom 4, now think it is one of their best. Last week, I got the Early Years Devi/ation with Atom Heart Mother quad.

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Probably my favourite part of the album.
    It's weird, fun and mellow at the same time. The kind of thing no one but Floyd could pull off. (Well, besides Todd Rundgren or Soft Machine, perhaps...)

BlueTrane and tedhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.