Is Pono no more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Mind you it looked like they had fewer than 10 left scattered amongst all of their stores...

bmoregnr likes this.
  2. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The pirate scene is more respectful, considerate and appreciate of good music preservation than any of these modern streaming sites / former world class record labels...

As long as there's internet - we'll find the stuff we want out there - thankfully rare CDs that existed physically at the hundreds now exist in the tens of thousands digitally on the web...

Robert C, Centurion, oneway23 and 3 others like this.
  3. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Amazon says they have a stock of 1 left.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

A lot of people put all their eggs in one basket with What.cd and look what happened there. And when these pirate pervayers get older and get bored or get tired of freeloaders leeching or get caught, your entire music collection could be gone in seconds.

MikaelaArsenault and MrRom92 like this.
  5. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Contact Phil Baker ( [email protected] ) directly at Pono. He posted, on the Pono website, refurb units for sale by Pono for $200 + shipping. Don't know if any are left, but what have you got to lose.

FWIW, I run my Pono single ended through a Valhalla 2 and it sounds great! Also balanced using my Mac MA6300. It won't quite push the Mac to the volume I like (since it outputs around 2V and the Mac is looking for 4) but the sound is marvelous.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and bmoregnr like this.
  6. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Better stock up on a couple of CD players to keep in reserve. That technology will be gone in a decade and there won't be any service techs that know how to fix whatever you've got now!

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It might be erased in a Windows update too. :)

8. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I can almost see a phone with the Pono logo. I know there have been phones that promoted their high end audio circuitry. Phones (aka pocket computers) have been the main source for portable audio for several years now.

9. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

That's really not how that works.

MartinR, Robert C, davers and 3 others like this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Thanks for the help everyone.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not exactly. In the scope of this particular discussion, one of the advantages of a piracy site is to free your legally purchased but DRM-emcumbered media. That way if a site is eventually shutdown, and I don't mean a piracy site but a business itself, that you still have the ability to play back your old media.

Relevant discussion recently as I believe MS finally shutdown their old WMDRM servers last week - this was the old tech behind Plays4sure. I guess now it's really "PlaysUntil2017". :)

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Doubtful. There are no license fees, AFAIK, to build a CD player (which is of primary importance here). Coupled with it being the primary way to consume music for decades and it's more likely that new CD players will likely be manufactured for many years to come. Likely will outlast me.

I'd be more concerned about SACD as that technology needs to be licensed, I believe.

13. Mr Bass

Realistically these only exist on sufferance. The intrusive OS and media download sites can easily detect non authorized computer based copies of soundfiles if they want to and the detection software increases in sophistication yearly.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That assumes that the media you own is actually being consumed while using an Internet connection.

No Internet connection = no detection.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Mr Bass

It wold be need a bit more realistically. Once you are connected to the internet the detection of pirated copies would be simple. It would have to be a computer never attached to the internet. Again I am just speaking in technical terms; I am not sure if they will get that aggressive with existing computers. They probably will include such DRM software in new computers along with the operating system.

16. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

As far as I know Pono downloads have no DRM so....

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It doesn't...we went off on a tangent that's my bad as well.

Getting back on topic, I'm actually interested to see where the warranty / out-of-warranty support is headed for the device.

18. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I just miss the damn store

19. Yeah sure.Just like turntables no longer exist.

mc7t, ZippyPippy, sunspot42 and 5 others like this.
  20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

When I say your entire collection could be gone in seconds, of course I am talking about rhe streaming model and you have 1000's of albums indexed and they pull the plug.
    Streaming is what they are pushing because they get constant revenue from you as opposed to a once off download payment. Even now with Spotify, you can't choose which mastering you are getting. So a lot of the superior masterings are being lost, and eventually streaming will be the only way to get music.

Waymore Lonesome likes this.
  21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

This bodes well for Linc Volt sales.

22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Which is why I now have two PonoPlayers. One as a backup in case the first one dies.

If my Pono died and I didn't have a backup I don't know what I'd replace it with. There aren't any other portables I know of that have this style of sound. There are other portables with arguably good sound, but not the PonoPlayer's style of good sound. And it's the sound style that the PonoPlayer does that I'm chasing. That's the style of headphone sound I like. That's the style of sound I've been chasing for desktop/home headphone listening. I want that same style in a portable. I've got that with the PonoPlayer.

kBear, martinb4, Centurion and 5 others like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's why people keep backups. Massive hard drives are dirt cheap...there's really no excuse not to.

Grant, sunspot42, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  24. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Looks like my battery is nearly dead. Can someone offer some information as to how to replace it and recommend a good battery to use?

25. Centurion

Centurion Forum Resident

This was posted by Phil Baker at the Pono site;

service for players continues to be available by contacting me at [email protected]

Otherwise you could probably buy a new one. I suppose you could try to replace it yourself, but i wouldn't personally know how.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.