The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Today's Date brings me to 7/17/88. The only 10-min jam is the 13:03 Let It Grow that ends set one.

July 17, 1988
    Greek Theater, University Of California - Berkeley, CA

Set 1:
    Foolish Heart
    Greatest Story Ever Told
    Althea
    Me And My Uncle
    Big River
    Candyman
    Let It Grow

Set 2:
    Box Of Rain
    Victim Or The Crime
    Crazy Fingers
    Playin' In The Band
    Uncle John's Band
    Drums
    Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
    All Along The Watchtower
    Believe It Or Not
    Throwin' Stones
    Not Fade Away

Encore:
    Blackbird
    Brokedown Palace

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Great to hear the different answers! I was thinking of "Deal" myself - especially Jerry's studio version - but I can also hear shades of all the songs you mentioned.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

David Gans interviewed Geoff Muldaur about his interactions with Jerry and Merle in early 74 among other things on GD Hour 1479. It seems that Tennessee Blues comes from the same 74-1-18 Keystone Berkeley show as the CC Rider we have on Falanga AUD shnid id 8873. Hopefully more of the Betty SBD will appear at some stage. It's an interesting broadcast with Geoff performing with Jerry and Merle on Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You (from Keepers), CC Rider and Tennessee Blues.

Grateful Dead Hour no.1479 | Grateful Dead

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

And as a bonus, Jerry mentions "Abilene" on the same album. :thumbsup:

Wright likes this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Is Dave's 2 sped up? I put on Scarlet Begonias from that today and it sounds speedy...

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

A little bit according to the Archtop archtop test.

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Crap, I suspected. It put me off it...too chipmunky.

8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Send it to me:)

9. Dahabenzapple

Hodgepodge today:

China Cat>Rider, PITB & He's Gone from 9/27/72 (Dick's 11)

Tomorrow doing the Dark Star>Cumberland and probably the whole end of the show including Attics. I might even play the TWO Chuck covers:)

NP:

Estimated>He's Gone>drums> TOO>Comes a Time>St. Stephen>NFA>St. Stephen from 5/21/77 (Dick's 21)

C'mon Dave pick anything near the greatness of these shows

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Don't do it, Man! It's a bum trip!

Nah, it's alright. Yet I highly recommend the Dark Star all the way through to Attics without interruption. :tiphat:

bzfgt likes this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Good catch - maybe Jerry and Hunter actually had that song in the back of their minds in 1971.

12. Archtop

On a whim, I'm checking out the 11/17/72 Me and My Uncle. I don't normally seek this one out unless it splits a Dark Star or Other One, but I remember from first listen (as hard as it is to believe that it was more than two and a half years ago) that is was a good one. Jerry's cracklin'!

US Blues, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  13. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Posted by esteemed Head "mjzee" on Organissimo.org:

"So I've owned a Dead bootleg for more than 40 years, simply titled GD-2233:

[​IMG]

On it, there's an amazing performance listed as "Doin' That Rag / Jam" recorded "November 1970, Action House, L.I." But the Dead didn't play DTR after 1969, and they didn't play the Action House in November 1970. After searching a long time for more details, I found it today on archive.org. It was a performance at Cafe au Go-Go in Greenwich Village on 9/29/69. The amazing jam is a composition titled The Seven, which they played only 4 times in its existence. See: https://archive.org/details/gd69-09-29.aud.early.hollister.79.sbeok.shnf/gd69-09-29t06.shn I recommend the VBR M3U for a seamless listen." (End)

This is a jaw dropping sequence of nuclear force from Rag through GL2, with The Seven jam as an exotic centerpiece. An instant short-list favourite Drums - lean, muscular, unrelenting, without an ounce of fat. I knew nothing about the The7, which - according to Deadbase - was played only 4 times (10/8,9/68, 9/29/69, and 3/21/70).

Additionally, the LIA Encyclopaedia has uncustomarily little to say about it: "The Seven is another riff from the experimental days of '68, and there are very few tapes. The earliest Seven riff is played briefly by Garcia at one point in the long 5/21/68 Carousel jam. There are a couple Sevens in the Hartbeats Matrix shows on 10/8/68 and 10/10/68, and there's a short one coming out of the Viola Lee on 3/21/70 (they had sometimes teased it in '69 Viola Lees) - but the best is on the AUD recording of 9/29/69, it's very tight!" [ Grateful Dead Guide: The Dead's Early Thematic Jams ]

While St.S isn't anything spectacular, the transition to The Eleven and the rendition that follows are sublime. Call this the Craps Set: Lucky numbers Seven and Eleven! Finishing up The11 for the second run-through as I type and I'm just floored by this stuff, while also realizing that relatively poor sound quality becomes quickly irrelevant once you're into the music's rosy bloom. The abrupt cut of The11 is rude awakening to a lovely dream....

Thanks, MJ!/peace,K

Edit: Apparently the 10/68 shows are Mickey/Heartbeats, which makes the linked version on the Ark.org the Dead's first performance of The7 w/ a full complement.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've been a big fan of the 3/21/70 early show from the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY for many years.

Setlist:

Walking the Dog
    My and My Uncle
    Death Don't Have No Mercy
    Good Lovin'
    Dire Wolf
    Big Boss Man
    He was a Friend of Mine>
    Viola Lee Blues>
    The Seven>
    Cumberland Blues

Those of you that skip audience recordings, no matter what, are missing out on some amazing music - especially from 1970.

I'll have to check out that Sept. '69 Cafe au Go Go show!

15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Had another one of those turn-on-the-XM moments with one of my favorite tunes today, this time with Looks Like Rain from the Academy of Music, 3/26/72. No Donna, Phil on background vocals, Jerry on pedal steel. I usually prefer the one from 3/23, but those shows are all ridiculously interesting, and this was a nice surprise.

Crispy Rob and Scopitone like this.
  16. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I actually got 9,000 something of the July '78 box, which indicates to me that there's no rhyme or reason as to how the numbers are organized in the warehouse.

On to the box itself, it's a beauty - the artwork is well done, the packaging is concise and compact. Too bad I have to wait to tomorrow to dive in to the music.

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Another early gem that has very few extant recordings is "Clementine". Every version of this psychedelic wonder is to be cherised, IMO.

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I feel like there is a tune labeled "Clementine Jam" that appears as a bonus track on one of the Rhino HDCD studio album reissues, perhaps on Aoxomoxoa.

19. Dahabenzapple

There is:)

US Blues and dzhason like this.
  20. Archtop

This would be correct. You didn't just google that to show that you are progressing more rapidly than the rest of the recently inducted Freshman class, did you? :nyah:

bmoregnr and US Blues like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

:laugh:

No, Aoxomoxoa is one of the three studio albums that I've owned for quite a while. If anything, it's only a sign of my slow progress since I couldn't say it with more conviction.

Matthew Tate, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Listened to a good chunk of disc 3 from Dave's 13 today on the way to the NC zoo with the family. Started with Morning Dew (decided to spare everyone from Dark Star) and went through Sugar Magnolia, NFA> Going Down the Road...>NFA. Still coming to enjoy NFA more and more such that I was looking forward to the reprise. It wasn't a real focused listen as it was littered with constant calls of, not "are we there yet" but rather "dad, when are we going to listen to Michael Jackson"?

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Someone just liked this post from 2014 ? Nice

24. All of those bonus tracks on Aoxomoxoa are monsters. Was just listening to that the other night.

25. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Everyone's seen the Tivoli footage, of course, but check out "Jack Straw" one more time...

There's something about this that's so clean and note-perfect... It's almost like it's recorded in a TV studio. Maybe it's the camera work that adds to it?

Edit: It's also interesting to compare it to the actual TV performance of the tour (Beat Club), which feels a bit more ramshackle (though still very good in its own right).

adamos, Ezzie, SBegonias17 and 5 others like this.