Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I made a CDR years ago of all the versions of "Series Of Dreams" I could find. A few official, a few from unoffical sessions (gets confusing). I think I'll spin the CD now...

It's a song that compels me in a way I can't put my finger on, like in a dream where the umbrella is folded. Where nothing comes up to the top, everything stays down where it’s wounded, and comes to a permanent stop. Wasn’t thinking of anything specific, like in a dream when someone wakes up and screams. Nothing too very scientific...

I just really like that song "Series of Dreams."

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Big news this week, perhaps? Probably not. :cry:

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I don't think it counts as 'big' news but it's just been announced that the Woody Guthrie Tribute concerts (which include three Dylan performances from 1968) will be re-issued as a box set by Bear Family on September 18th.

hoggydoggy, jlf, MRamble and 3 others like this.
  4. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

That's big news.

5. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

That IS big news. I have the whole Dylan/Band performance sourced from a mix of great-sounding official release compilations and maybe an unofficial compilation or two. Do you think the official Bear Family release will be a sonic upgrade from what's out there? Or is there any previously uncirculating material? The set didn't seem like something I needed, but maybe I could be convinced. :cool:

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's pretty cool news -- how many concerts were there, and how much material is there to make up a box set? Were there rehearsals, and if so, were they recorded? Did Bob do anything other than the three songs we've already got?

Willowman likes this.
  7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I love that Woody Guthrie tribute cd. It's a magical performance from all involved, and the editing and pacing of the album is breathtaking. Looking forward to a complete box set for sure, though I'll never get rid of the original album.

8. John Rhett Thomas

There were two shows (on the same day, January 20, 1968) and Bob's set was identical in both. He did join the ensemble to wrap up the second show with a singalong on "This Land Is Your Land" and "This Train is Bound for Glory". Not sure if there's any rehearsal stuff or not, but if so it's not circulating (that I'm aware of).

Sean Murdock and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The the major possible addition could be This Train Is Bound For Glory. It was an ensemble performance, but it's barely on the the original albums.

Dylan's set is great though. The Band is raw and rocking on I Ain't Got No Home. And Dear Mrs. Roosevelt is moving.

Sean Murdock and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  10. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i don't think there is any new material though. unless that ensemble performance you mention is expanded.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yep -- I've always loved Great Grand Coulee Dam too -- esp. the harmonies and the snap of the snare at the end!

12. John Rhett Thomas

Anybody that's a big John Wesley Harding fan but hasn't heard these Woody Guthrie tribute performances by Bob is in for a real treat. It was the Band playing behind him but it had a similar vibe to what Bob had put down on JWH (which had only been out a little less than a month when this concert occurred).

13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I only have the single CD reissue of the Woody Guthrie concerts, I think there were some tracks missing from the original LPs. Very excited for the box.
    Is there more Odetta? That was the first time I heard her sing. Blew me away.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  14. John Rhett Thomas

Likewise! The presence on that recording is immaculate. Blew me away the first time I heard it, too.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice thought. I see them more as "The Basement Tapes That Never Were" but I think we're basically on the same page here.

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I have the three Dylan/Band performances on a grey area Dylan compilation and they're wonderful.

Are the performances by the other artists interesting?

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yes.
    Odetta is mesmerizing.
    Arlo is fun.
    Almost everything else is worth hearing.

DeeThomaz and bobcat like this.
  18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Don't just take my word for it...

19. John Rhett Thomas

Yes, yes, yes. One of the best albums of its kind. Just wait 'til you hear the Tom Paxton recording of "Pastures of Plenty"...it's got the spook! And those spoken word transitional pieces are evocative.

jlf and bobcat like this.
  20. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

I also love "Vigilante Man" by Richie Havens!

(Does Ry Cooder also play on the album?)

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That one's not on my cd!

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Hmm. $110 for 3 discs. May have to pass.

bobcat likes this.
  23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Right. It's unfortunate that this release isn't at a more affordable price point...or that a smaller set, minus all the books, wasn't produced.

bobcat likes this.
  24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There are those two tracks by Bob Dylan with The Band on that CD (Dear Mrs. Roosevelt and Grand Coulee Dam) and one more on the A Musical History box set by The Band (I Ain't Got No Home)