Apple 45rpms, singles, 7-inches

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rock-C-Art, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member Thread Starter

So I was recently (this weekend) reunited with a stack of my old Apple (mostly Beatles and solo Beatles) 45's. Most of them have no picture sleeve and some have the apple sleeve but they are pretty beat up and just Apple generic. How does not having a picture or generic sleeve change the value? Did they always even have a picture sleeve? Conditions of the vinyl itself ranges from G to NM.

2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Yes, I think picture sleeves/company sleeves do increase the value. For example. the sleeve for the "Mother/Why" single can increase the value by about $50 (based on an auction I saw) from the standard if you're selling it with a generic sleeve. You can probably also get a little bit more worth if it's with a company sleeve. Not all of the Apple singles had picture sleeves (at least for U.S./U.K markets. Some that come to mind quickly are "Hey Jude", "Hi Hi Hi" and "Jet"

3. Rock-C-Art

Thanks for the info. I guess I was just wondering if it was worth hanging onto some of those pretty banged up company sleeves.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Hi Hi Hi' and 'Ireland'came in a yellow sleeve that kind of looked generic, but it's not as if you could just put any other Apple sleeve on them if they got damaged without everyone knowing yours wasn't an original. No artwork as such, but you need that specific sleeve for that specific title. The yellow sleeve was (I guess?) part of the intended design.

5. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

DeRosa, Calico, MrSka57 and 2 others like this.
  6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I could see some demand for NM discs in a "banged up sleeve" but any lesser condition I wouldn't expect much of a market is out there.

Muzyck likes this.
  7. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yep, the PS's are a very important part of the 45 release...
    and in some cases worth many, many times more than the disc.

rockclassics likes this.
  8. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Picture sleeves were not common on U.K. Singles until the late 70's

Very few Apple UK releases would have had a picture sleeve.

9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

er.. ok - but the OP, and I are in the U.S.A. that makes no sense.

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Oh I forgot, there are no records issued outside the the US that are worth bothering about, even those on a UK based record label.

11. Rock-C-Art

I appreciate having the info about the UK singles even though I'm in the US. Sometimes I get lucky enough to find a UK single so it's good to know :)

12. Rock-C-Art

I'm guessing most of these particular ones are US issues though. It may be a whole other thread but how can you ID the UK Apple releases versus the US?

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mary had a little Lamb <came in a purty pic sleeve,best thing about it.

14. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I had, actually still have (haven't seen it in a while) the original Ireland single. So I bought it when it first came out. I was about 12 yrs old, I think. Anyway, I played it, and in my ultimate wisdom of the day, thought one side was soo much better than the other, I proceeded to write, with a bic pen "good" one one side of the single and "bad" on the other side. Of course now when I see this single, it's like - doooh!! It's a shame cause it's the original white label with green clovers on it, and the yellow sleeve. It would probably be worth something if I hadn't childishly written on it on the first day! But what are you gonna do? :biglaugh:

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well, since we all did those kind of things...welcome to the club!

16. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

It's not a hard & fast rule, but generally UK singles don't have the large 'dinked' central hole. There are some exceptions (Island, Chrysalis, Polydor), but I can't recall seeing a UK Apple 45 without the 'normal' sized spindle hole. 45cat - Vinyl Database - Records - Music Reviews - Discographies, Discussions, Discoveries is a good reference source for pressing variations across countries & time.

17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It is a nice sleeve but I'd say the best thing about that record is the B-side.:)

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Jools Holland esq.:agree:

forthlin likes this.
  19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You should always keep the original company sleeves for 45's. Even if they're beat up. One of the ugliest things ever is 45's being sold in brand new, snow white sleeves, not an original one in sight. If a 45 is in nice condition, put it in a new sleeve and place the original sleeve next to it. Thats what collectors and better sellers do.

Rock-C-Art likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.