What are your Top Five movies of all time?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thestereofan, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Ice Cold In Alex
    Flight Of The Phoenix
    Independence Day
    Evil Dead II
    Pans Labyrinth

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Haha! Oddly enough, my favorite movie is "Meatballs" and my most hated movie is "Sleepaway Camp."

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

This person concurs with your statement:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    polchik likes this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I prefer this one ;)

[​IMG]

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Godfather
    A Clockwork Orange
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Dr Strangelove
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

thestereofan likes this.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

How did I forget Amadeus?!

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

O Lucky Man
    Frozen
    Young Adult
    Brighton Rock
    The Searchers

Jerry Horne likes this.
  8. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Young Adult is one of the greats!

Mylene likes this.
  9. Complier

Complier Senior Member

The Jerk
    Seven Samurais
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    Boogie Nights
    Goodfellas

yesstiles likes this.
  10. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

The Godfather
    Midnight Cowboy
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Last Tango in Paris
    Amadeus

11. Toxic Avenger
    Police Academy
    Back to the Future
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
    Critters

12. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Based on re-watchability:

1. Star Wars - only the classic '77 version counts for me (it is not "A New Hope"!); I've worn out at least 3 VHS editions, and have finally ponied up for the 2006 "Gout" DVD ("George's Original Unaltered Trilogy"), which works just fine on my old analog Hitachi TV, but would be problematic for anyone with an anamorphic widescreen. I've also supplemented this with the '93 box set of soundtracks from each of the three films, but have only additionally purchased Empire Strikes Back on DVD to complement Star Wars (never liked Return of the Jedi). While there's been some talk of Disney re-releasing them with a full restoration at last, I'm not exactly holding my breath, and can live with these old laserdisc transfers until that eventuality; besides, the clunkiness of this "bonus" DVD presentation actually kinda makes Star Wars look more like a "70's movie" anyway.

2. Road House - this comes on television so often that I almost didn't need to get it on DVD, but I've recently relented, and picked it up for cheap. IMHO, this film should be put in a time capsule to sum up all things 80's; basically, mullets and monster trucks! :cool:

3. The Wizard of Oz - yes, it's full of sentimental goo, and yes, it has perhaps lost some of its "magical" luster from the days when it enjoyed those yearly showings on television, but for me, I remain "enchanted" (if you will) by its sheer entertainment value, which has just as much a "camp" following as it does a mainstream one. This would actually make a great double feature with The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but that latter film didn't make my top five, nor did The Sound of Music, which might also work especially well as a singalong with the right audience.

4. The Blues Brothers - my favorite of the SNL-derived feature films (if you asked me this 20 years ago I might have said Caddyshack, which I still enjoy, btw), making the top five mainly by virtue of those outstanding cameo appearances by various musicians, many of whom are sadly no longer with us. Never again will there be a cast assembled quite like this, nor perhaps a movie that is so eminently quotable. "Orange whip?"

5. The Producers - my guess is that Mel Brooks will be better remembered for Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, but I've always found this earlier film to be more consistently enjoyable; I recommend passing on the Broadway remake, however.

Runners up (any of these could have been #5):
    Raiders of the Lost Ark, Conan the Barbarian, The Road Warrior, The Terminator, This Is Spinal Tap, Jaws, Lawrence of Arabia, The Bad News Bears, Time Bandits, any Thin Man movie, any Astaire & Rogers movie, (almost) any Sean Connery Bond film, (almost) any Marx Bros. movie, (almost) any Hitchcock movie, etc.

Blastproof likes this.
  13. Sundown

Sundown Forum Resident

1. Grease (1978)
    2. Roman Holiday (1953)
    3. Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)
    4. Stagecoach (1939)
    5. Some Like It Hot (1959)

14. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

The howling
    Psycho
    The Stepford wives
    The shining
    Erin Brockovich

15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The Godfather Part 1
    Interstellar
    No Country For Old Men
    Inception
    LA Confidential

16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

If you participate in this thread, make sure "favorite movie" isn't one of the security question/answers you use for any important accounts.

bherbert likes this.
  17. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

In no particular order:

Solaris (directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972) has so many layers there's a couple of good movies in there.
    Invisible Waves (Pen-Ek Ratanaruang, 2006) treads the line between a dream and a waking nightmare.
    Runaway Train (Andrei Konchalovsky, 1985) has me rooting for characters I don't really like.
    Hana-bi (Takeshi Kitano, 1997) shocks me every time because I remember it as such a sweet story but there's such brutality to it.
    Woman of the Dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1964) stays with me like a misplaced grain of sand.

skisdlimit likes this.
  18. Here's my list, in chronological order:

A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
    The Towering Inferno (John Guillermin, 1974)
    Superman (Richard Donner, 1978)
    Koyaanisqatsi (Godfrey Reggio, 1982)
    Battle Royale (Kinji Fukasaku, 2000)

That's a far more diverse - and older - collection of films than I'd originally expected it to be!

thestereofan and andrewskyDE like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

straight out of my head but maybe not officially yet...

Star Wars (the original 1977 cut)
    Forrest Gump
    The Truman Show
    Das Boot
    Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii (the original 1972 cut)

Blastproof likes this.
  20. JMT

JMT Senior Member

The Godfather
    The Godfather Part II
    Goodfellas
    Animal House
    The Empire Strikes Back

thestereofan likes this.
  21. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Well, this thread certainly tells you who's in the forum. Mine (hasn't changed in years, regrettably (wish I'd seen more!)) -

Andrei Rublev, Tarkovsky
    Grand Illusion, Renoir
    Long Days Journey Into Night, Lumet
    Five Women Around Utamaro, Mizoguchi
    Rashomon, Kurosawa

About the only thing that these movies have in common is that they're all black and white films made by directors at the beginning of their most productive period. I suppose it's the rawness or freshness of their approaches, along with their very distinct styles and concerns that continues to intrigue me after countless viewings.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Dave Garrett likes this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Apocalypse Now
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Touch of Evil
    The Conformist
    Throne of Blood

Too many to choose!

ando here likes this.
  23. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Too many to list!!!

Ah man!!

24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Watching Pans Labyrinth in a few minutes. Thanks for the reminder. The CC edition certainly has an odd director intro. Here is del Toro chatting up the film taped around the time of it's initial release.

yesstiles likes this.
  25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Interstellar - Christopher Nolan’s masterpiece IMO. This movie filled me with wonder more than any other sci-fi movie. The scene where the ship flies over the black hole blew my mind.

The Godfather 2 - Al Pacino. What an actor. Understated masterpiece of acting. Brilliant storyline. Leaves you thinking about a lot of things for days afterwards.

Million Dollar Baby - Hillary Swanks’s best performance and Clint Eastwood’s masterpiece IMO. The story of an underdog refusing to let life get the better of her. Very moving film. Stayed with me for days afterwards.

Lord Of The Rings - Return Of The King - An epic film that has pretty much everything you want in an epic. An amazing conclusion to one of the best trilogies of all time.

Twister - I’m fascinated by tornadoes and this film certainly fascinated me at the time.

skisdlimit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.