Roger Waters 'Us + Them' Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Great post. Ever see Gavin Harrison?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  2. Beatles Floyd

Beatles Floyd Well-Known Member

I went to the Houston show. Amazing set list and sets and lights

tedhead and Hot Ptah like this.
  3. Beatles Floyd

Beatles Floyd Well-Known Member

4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I've seen the show multiple times...it is a spectacle. I hope anyone who enjoys the music has an opportunity to see this show.

JoeRockhead and Hot Ptah like this.
  5. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

One of my favorites:righton:

Billy Infinity and rontoon like this.
  6. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Well, it was a civilized polite debate where each came to see the other's side. Kinda cool!

I'm going Thursday in Columbus! Can't wait, Brit Floyd was in town Saturday and made a good appetizer but now time for the main course.

rontoon and Beatles Floyd like this.
  7. segue

8. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

No lip syncing in that performance.

9. Kezug

Kezug New Member

As I age, my hearing is more sensitive and want to protect them more...I have been bring ear plugs to concerts when I do go. Last concert I was at was U2 and I was glad I had them as it was LOUD! So, I am curious though...is this show LOUD as well or does the sound get mixed at a pleasant level for a concert? I will definitely bring my pair and I can decide at the show, but I am considering purchasing a couple more pair of plugs for others that are attending with me.

10. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

I attended the Tampa concert. The volume was pleasantly loud for my wife, and a notch lower for me. But it sounded fantastic.

Peace,
    Tony

11. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Do take your plugs if you're sensitive. And little ones should certainly have them. But the overall sound mix is great, which helps. You won't be pounded by a bass or a snare that's too loud. I wore plugs for a majority, but took them out at times because the mix was so crisp. And the show certainly wasn't ridiculously loud, it was perfectly loud : )

Hot Ptah likes this.
  12. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That was one of the most intriguing visuals of the show.

To me, One Of These Days has a very threatening tone and its juxtaposition against the images on the screen is saying something about fear.

It starts by moving through the decaying rooms in an abandoned apartment or flat, then transitions to a woman in a burqa shopping in a supermarket and lastly, to suburban office/home/lawn interspersed with women who may have more in common with those under burqas in supermarkets than we may like to admit and yet have substantially different kinds of lives as well.

When I consider that the show is called Us + Them, and has a theme of human & cultural connection, and ends with the images of 2 hands finally touching, I think that One Of These Days, being the starting point of the show, represents the xenophobia that can underlie cultural differences.

13. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Attended last night's performance in Greensboro and it was quite a spectacle to say the least. A second row seat was released about two weeks before the show so I bought it after debating where I should sit to take it all in. I received a fist bump from Roger when he came out to greet the crowd so that was a thrill! My pictures from the show = Roger Waters 7/18/17

14. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Attended the Columbus show last night and it was really incredible. The amount of time that was put into the planning of this tour is pretty staggering. The second set gets very political and a few folks around me got up and walked out. Others yelled hateful things to the stage in response. The vast majority of folks thought were either with Roger politically or just loved the show. It was really intense. I hope that this isn't Roger's last tour as I would gladly go see him again. The new material hung in there pretty well but the Animals section was the highlight. Dogs is a long weird song and really great to see played live. Go see this show if you get the chance.

JoeRockhead, footlooseman and M2225 like this.
  15. Kezug

Kezug New Member

I wanted to report back on this. Last night, I attended the Chicago show. Let me just say this...and my only reference for live concerts recently is a couple of U2 shows. U2 is LOUD! Almost just too loud. U2, while loud was not good as I think the sound was distorted as well.
    The sound last night for Roger Waters, was superb. It was the clearest, pleasantly loud, and clean. While I put my plugs in at times just to give my ears a rest, I could have done without them all together. The sound was at the right volume and the most excellent sounding live concert I have ever been too. I have also never been to a show that used surround sound placed speakers. OMG! The effects were awesome!

The rest of the show details were excellent as well. My only complaint was that while I was sitting in the 201 section (mid arena, mid way up), I was disappointed as to how much the speakers above the stage blocked the center viewing of the stage screen. Often, I was unable to see the imagery it was front and center...this meant, I rarely saw waters on the big screen or any of the graphics that we dead center....for me though, this is just a small complaint. I would rather have proper sounding placed speakers than be able to see more of the screen.

While I am a long time Pink Floyd fan...by Pink Floyd, I mean my discovery (as a 13 year old in 1983) was to have stumbled across a tape of Dark Side of the Moon. When I heard that...it was like hearing music for the first time! I got to know Pink Floyd and this meant Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason...I eventually learned about Barrett, but to me, the formerly mentioned four is MY pink floyd and always will be.

I then saw Pink Floyd in '87 (sans Waters obviously) and it was my first ever live concert. Amazing, to say the least. I never saw them again, never saw Gilmour solo (unsure why, but it is what it is and he is my FAVORITE) and last night was my first Waters experience (unsure why as he too is my FAVORITE!) I often see arguments about Waters vs Gilmour and I hate those arguments. Pink Floyd is one, Waters and Gilmour are individuals, each stand out as being GREAT...enough said! :)

Ok, back to my Waters experience last night. He is a true showman. Puts on a great show. I agree, it was a spectacle.

I do hope though, and I still think there is a shot, that Waters and Gilmour unite Floyd again and tour....but its got to happen soon...these guys are not getting any younger! :)

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Has the song, "The Final Cut," ever been performed live? Really wish he'd insert something like this into the set, instead of "Vera" and "Bring the Boys Back Home."

klockwerk likes this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Eddie Vedder sang vocals on Comfortably Numb tonight. Enjoyed the show very much despite some personal issues.

18. Ten Years Gone

Ten Years Gone Forum Resident

I was also at the Chicago show and sat dead center, near the top. Although I did periodically put in plugs when I felt it was needed (only a few times), I was pleasantly surprised that the volume was not overbearing. You could easily go without protection and be okay. The sound quality was also crystal clear.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

20. Kezug

Kezug New Member

I wonder if Vedder will show up again tonight in Chicago?

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

22. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

So, a guy on YouTube has an opinion.
    He seems a little rigid in what he values as worthwhile.

23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Actually I found the video looking for Brit Floyd footage from Columbus. Both Brit Floyd and Roger played Columbus within a week from each other. I could not catch either one. I did see Gilnour at the Hollywood Bowl last year....fantastic show

24. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Saw the Milwaukee show on Saturday night:
    1. Roger was very moving and engaging the audience (he was pretty choked up at the end). I think he know this is the final curtain (for this type of spectacle).
    2. I really enjoyed the new songs and had a great view of those as a lot of the casual fans sat down for the new ones.
    3. I never saw Floyd (original) live, so I was really glad to see him do the songs off of Animals.
    4. Could have dropped Money (but that's just me)
    5. I was down on the floor center stage, in the center of the laser pyramid.
    6. At the intermission I high five'd Gus Seyffert!! The band members were cutting through the area where they sell beer where they had to cut thru to get to the sound/video mixing area. Honestly, nobody noticed them.
    7. Then I saw Jon Carin and yelled his name out. He stopped and turned around just as he was going to exit thru a stage door. He stopped and talked to me for a few minutes (I think-time kind of stopped). I told him how much I liked the Richard Butler album he composed and played the music for. And boy did his face light up. Jon is a super nice guy! He did say they are trying to get the Richard Butler album released on vinyl. It was exciting to meet him, which was totally unexpected. Thank you Jon for taking the time!
    8. Seen Roger Waters 5 times now.
    9. Roger mentioned that he remembered being in Milwaukee in 1977 with Floyd and they played at a Stadium (Brewers).
    10. The sound quality was excellent.
    11. Parking was $25
    12. Picture That.

25. segue

[​IMG]
    a suprise appearance during John Prine's set at Newport Folk Festival over the weekend!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.