The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Winterland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

Sunn.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Jimi tried Sunn amps and wasn't happy, specifically because they broke down.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Off:
    There is there no "Sunn" [sic/p.i.] in Oregon...
    yet there is a "Sunn"® in Oregon, it is not a "Bay Area" [where 'Winterland' was] amp company tho.

Jimi dropped his association w/"Sunn" in '68.
    Hendrix "broke" his 5 year deal w/"Sunn"; just like Hendrix 'broke' w/"Sunn" amps!

Since "Sunn" amps didn't measure up to Hendrix; would be a poor choice to substitute "Sunn" for SoCal's "Fender" at 'Winterland'!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    DTK likes this.
  4. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Concerts and +3 CD booklets list Voodoo Child playing times of 6:49 (10th) and 6:43 respectively. No box, but the Winterland single CD lists a 7:45 (12th) playing time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Maidenpriest likes this.
  5. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

He preferred the earlier breakup of an EL34 to a 6550.

6. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Live at Winterland produced by Alan Douglas on Rkyodisc is my favorite, with the box set in second place.

The Gomper and bxbluesman like this.
  7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I was under the impression that the Douglas versions weren't all that. Not sure why.... perhaps I was accidentally lumping the Ryko Winterland and Concerts in with the other posthumous releases? :)

...AND because now there is a more complete version available (the 3CD set)

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

The Douglas releases are certainly 'all that' and some releases are better than EH versions, you really have to check out everything don't believe the EH Propaganda that all Alan Douglas produced Hendrix is 'shoddy' that is certainly not true and there are many hidden gems to be discovered and in many instances much better sound quality than EH !! :)

RyanC3082, The Gomper, Fox67 and 4 others like this.
  9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

:) roger that. I picked up Concerts and the Ryko disc for about $3 each not too long ago. Lucky me :D

The Gomper and Maidenpriest like this.
  10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I have the double vinyl I got back in 87/88, produced by Alan Douglas. Haven't listened to it in years. Will have to dig it out, hadn't even crossed my mind to check out what other versions are available.

11. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I've mentioned this before on another thread:

I bought a box set back in the early 90's that contained 2 discs and a t-shirt put out by Ryko. It had the single disc that was out at the time, plus a bonus disc of three songs: Are You Experienced, Voodoo Chile Slight Return, and Like a Rolling Stone.

The version of Are You Experienced on the 3 track disc has this amazing psychedelic guitar solo before the song kicks in that always blows me away. It is NOT on the 4 disc box set, and I don't understand why it was chopped off. The current box just starts off with the muted guitar intro that sounds like the album. The bizarre thing is that it cuts out the flute solo that is on the current box set. I'd much rather listen to that guitar intro than the flute, but I don't understand why there is no complete version.

I love the current 4 disc box set, but that intro is THAT good. However there are great things on the 4 disc box set (such as Little Wing for example) that are not on the old set. As usual, because of the varying quality of the sets, there is no clear cut answer for me. But I have to listen to my old bonus disc when I want to hear a live version of Are You Experienced, no question about it.

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I never noticed that. I'll have to dig out the EP. That said, that version of Like a Rolling Stone is definitive.

13. simonux

simonux Custom Title

The 2cd Winterland Night from Purple Haze Records has the Ryko version of Are You Experienced

Purple Jim and bluemooze like this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

there will be a complete set one day, i think the Hendrix that EH has is limited so they are keeping some back for a rainy day, IMO the cuts were done deliberately to protect there assets and keep us wanted more!

footlooseman likes this.
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Do have a youtube link that I could listen to this version of Are You Experienced? I am not finding one.

16. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I've never looked. I own the discs.

17. The Hud

Fair enough. :)

18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Yeah, they are pretty strict with Hendrix on youtube if its not on the official Vevo channel. Otherwise I'd post the link for everyone. Its that good!

19. The Hud

Are your discs gold? I found one set on eBay with the shirt for a little over $200.

20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Any reason to search this disc out if you already have the EH and both Ryko discs?

21. simonux

simonux Custom Title

No, it is just the Ryko discs rearranged and with added compression I think.

fluffskul and Purple Jim like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

One of the biggest crimes concerning the Winterland box. Also, on the same track, Kramer placed flute player Virgil Golzalves way back in the mix, leaving Jimi's backing rhythm up front, which doesn't really do justice to what was going on. Annoying.

23. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

So what is the best available source of this AYE take that everybody is raving about? The Ryko+3? Never saw it in these parts!

24. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Check Ebay or Amazon resellers. I picked up a copy about a year ago so they are out there.

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, that flute solo is pretty nice; unnecessary. Herbie Rich's organ playing on a few tracks is out of tune though - or rather, Jimi and Noel should have tuned to the organ, so I thought it was okay to mix him low.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.