Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Allen Perkins, from Spiral Groove.

2. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Just a quick question..would an RP3 (with all the available upgrades) pair well with a Goldring G1042 mm cartridge?

PhxJohn likes this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

4. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Thanks...I have the cartridge,I wondered wether it would better the cartridge Rega supply with the RP6 as an extra....

5. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I have heard the Audio Note IQ3 in Rega tonearms many times, and the combination always sounds great. The IQ3 is based on the Goldring, albeit with a different cantilever and diamond.

--David B.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Rega arm is a great match for it. The Rega Exact as supplied as an option with the RP6 will sound warmer and the Goldring brighter by comparison. Both are popular.

If you meant to say the forthcoming Planar 6 table, then that will be offered with a different cartridge, the Ania, which is a LOMC. A different beast.
    -Bill

7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

heliocentric likes this.
  8. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I did the same thing and apart from a solid butchers block, I've never felt the need to do anything else. The PSU does make a noticeable difference.

9. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Someone must be working late on the web team, it wasn't there 30 mins ago when I saw this thread.

btf1980 likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Well, they do give instructions in the new user manual, and apparently supply an allen key to make the adjustment, so that's nice... from the new user manual...

Speed adjustment (factory set - only adjust if necessary)
    The speed control functions are sited on the back panel of the Neo.

Speed programme switch
    – This enables the set speed mode.

Programme mode LED
    – This indicates the two modes of operation: Factory default mode and speed adjustment mode.

Speed adjustment
    – This encoder is used to adjust the speed. The step size of the speed control is 0.01 RPM

Adjusting the speed

Note: We recommend the Rega strobe kit to accurately measure the speed during adjustment (sold separately).
    Note: The speed is adjusted whilst running at 331/3 RPM and any adjustments made at 331/3 RPM will be automatically be applied to 45 RPM.

1. Select 331/3 RPM.
    2. Press the speed programme switch on the rear panel once to put the unit into setup mode - The ‘Programme mode’ LED will now be permanently illuminated red.
    3. Adjust the speed via the speed adjustment control using the supplied 1.7mm allen key. Turning clockwise will increase the speed and turning counter clockwise will decrease the speed. The step size is 0.01 RPM. Only make small adjustments of up to five ‘steps’ at a time to ensure accurate adjustment. Check the speed after each adjustment to achieve the best accuracy.
    4. When the speed has been correctly set, press the speed programme switch once to put the unit back into run mode. The programme mode LED will now go out and flash approximately every ten seconds indicating the speed has been changed from the factory setting. Your turntable is now set and ready to use.

Returning the Neo to factory settings
    This process is recommended when fitting a new drive belt to your turntable or after a service to help optimise the range of adjustment available to you.

1. Select 331/3 RPM.
    2. Press and hold the speed programme button for ten seconds.
    3. During the first five seconds, the LED will illuminate solid followed by flashing for the final five seconds, before returning to solid.
    4. Press the speed programme once more to return to ‘run mode’. The unit is now reset to factory default.

james likes this.
  11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Any word on US pricing yet?

With the UK price increase (11%), you'd have to think the US pricing will jump from $1495 to something in the $1595 to $1795 range, sans cart.

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. russk

russk Forum Resident

Will the new PSU work with the RP6?

13. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Someone should start a poll. I predict $1,895.

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. Probably $2100 w cart but that's a steal because it already has the full steel subplatter and the white belt.

15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

16. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

17. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

So tempted to get the P6 with the Ania LOMC already mounted. No VTA spacers or 'underslung' counterweights to mess with.

18. Davey

A steal, eh? It does seem almost like robbery how much more it costs in the USA vs the UK. The UK retail price with cartridge and VAT is £1398, which at the current exchange rate is $1828, and subtract VAT and it would be $1462. So yea, add something back to get it shipped over to the USA and distributed, but should that be $600? That's almost 50% of retail. Seems like an awful lot just to get it set to the right voltage. But I guess that's the way of the world when it comes to audio products. It's pretty tough moving products the other way across the ocean for some brands too.

HiFi Guy and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  19. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

A screaming bargain, me thinks.:yikes:

20. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

If it sounds as good as we think it will, then yes.

PhxJohn likes this.
  21. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I think (not that it matters what I think) Roy Gandy is brilliant as a designer and marketer. I don't like every model but I do like all of the 2016 and 2017 Planars. His designs march forward in both engineering and looks. He pays attention to criticism (or it would appear so) as he is addressing speed adjustability and that plastic subplatter where economically feasible. You can't have everything and have 3 models priced at less than $1000 USD. The P3 with a Groovetracer subplatter and TT-PSU were too 'close' (just my opinion) to the RP6. The P6 has distanced itself farther for the price difference. I really like the option of the factory mounted and probably discounted Ania LOMC. It means that I won't have to deal with VTA spacers and special counterweights. Just my two cents and probably two grand.

andybeau and rischa like this.
  22. I'm referring to the RP6 w exact was just under $2000. Add a groovertracer sub $250 plus white belt about $30 so overall about a savings of $200. And new technology and adjustable speed.

A bargain compared to rp 6 w upgrades in USA. And a table very much worth its price.

PhxJohn and btf1980 like this.
  23. Davey

Yea, I agree, it does look like a good deal compared to the old RP6. I think everyone probably agrees with that.

PhxJohn likes this.
  24. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I was considering a SOTA Sapphire. Between all of the negative comments and Rega probably hitting a homerun with the P6, it looks like I will be buying a P6.

25. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

While spacers are a necessity, an underslung counterweight is not depending on how high you want to raise the arm. I use a rega tungsten counterweight on my rp3's rb303, which is raised 4mm. There is no contact with the dust cover and I think it looks nicer than the standard counterweight which came with the arm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.